Value of: Duncan Keith

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Probably more than people would expect. Relatively cheap, still eats tough minutes, and moves the puck well in every zone. Still has one of the best defensive sticks in the game.

Might be well passed his prime but Keith has averaged over 25 minutes his career, just a total freak of an athlete. 2x Norris and the Conn Smythe on his resume. If I was Bowman I'd be asking for a 1st and a A- or B+ prospect from a contender.

Last edited:

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I mean, a little unconvential, but I’d love to pair him with Doughty just for the hell of it. Probably too high of an asking price though. Kupari + Clague + 2nd? My go-to trade bait :laugh:

Kings could then ice...

Keith - Doughty
Anderson - Roy
Maatta - Walker

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Probably more than people would expect. Relatively cheap, still eats tough minutes, and moves the puck well in every zone. Still has one of the best defensive sticks in the game.

Might be well past his prime but Keith has averaged over 25 minutes his career, just a total freak of an athlete. 2x Norris and the Conn Smythe on his resume. If I was Bowman I'd be asking for a 1st and a A- or B+ prospect from a contender.

He's 37 though.
1st + A prospect?
I dont know about that.

His money owed for final 3 years are relatively low (2.65 mil, 2.1 mil and 1.5 mil)

Reactions: TopCheese

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I don’t think teams would give up that much for him, he’s 37. Maybe a team that thinks they’re a cup favorite and want a veteran presence on the 2nd pair on the left side and that Keith would put them over the edge but no team is really coming to mind.

Reactions: Bread4Life

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I don’t think teams would give up that much for him, he’s 37. Maybe a team that thinks they’re a cup favorite and want a veteran presence on the 2nd pair on the left side and that Keith would put them over the edge but no team is really coming to mind.
Montreal

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Yeah but with their centers are they really going to make a run at the cup?

A LHD is a need for them though

Drouin Danault Gallagher
Tatar Suzuki Tofolli
Byron Kotkiniemi Anderson

If they scoring by committee, they look good.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He's 37 though.
1st + A prospect?
I dont know about that.

His money owed for final 3 years are relatively low (2.65 mil, 2.1 mil and 1.5 mil)

Ehh probably wouldn't be a top 3 organizational prospect. But a really good one or another semi significant asset along with a 1st. Not really like the Hawks need to move on from him or anything.

Reactions: qqaz

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I mean, a little unconvential, but I’d love to pair him with Doughty just for the hell of it. Probably too high of an asking price though. Kupari + Clague + 2nd? My go-to trade bait :laugh:

Kings could then ice...

Keith - Doughty
Anderson - Roy
Maatta - Walker

Doubt Keith waives his NMC to go from one rebuilding team to another

If Keith was available the Hawks would at very least be asking for a 1st round pick + ok prospect

A contender in need of vet like Keith certainly shouldn't have issue giving up a likely late 1st round pick

Its all up to Keith if he wants to finish out his career a Hawk or if he wants to win another cup

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Ehh probably wouldn't be a top 3 organizational prospect. But a really good one or another semi significant asset along with a 1st. Not really like the Hawks need to move on from him or anything.

If you got some comparable trades you can list, I'd be open to the thought.
I'd think a 2nd + teams 4th/5th prospect but just dont see CHI moving him. He's fine in his mentor role.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
If Keith were willing to waive his NMC, what could Chicago acquire in exchange for him?

hes almost perfect for boston

a first... thats a no brainer... but theres a cap issue to consider
I need to include john moore… both have 3 years left... that makes keith around a 2.5 mill extra cap hit
and what prospect do we include to finish the offer? maybe lauzon? maybe zboril? maybe vaakainen?

boston doesnt have room in it's lineup for all these prospects and one could be sacrificed for 3 years of a perfect partner for mcavoy

keith still can handle running a pp while McAvoy gets his feet wetter taking over the number 1 duties...
keith can still play 25 mins a night... all situations... lightening the load for grezlyck/chara/zboril

and even if keith slows down next year or the year after... he will be a good second pair dman at worst to play next to carlo

if im boston… im trying my best to make a fair offer for keith… and the only real issue I see is fitting the cap hit

Reactions: Soapdodger

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011

I need to include john moore… both have 3 years left... that makes keith around a 2.5 mill extra cap hit
and what prospect do we include to finish the offer? maybe lauzon? maybe zboril? maybe vaakainen?

boston doesnt have room in it's lineup for all these prospects and one could be sacrificed for 3 years of a perfect partner for mcavoy

keith still can handle running a pp while McAvoy gets his feet wetter taking over the number 1 duties...
keith can still play 25 mins a night... all situations... lightening the load for grezlyck/chara/zboril

and even if keith slows down next year or the year after... he will be a good second pair dman at worst to play next to carlo

if im boston… im trying my best to make a fair offer for keith… and the only real issue I see is fitting the cap hit
Moore. 1st , and Vaakanainen are exactly what the Hawks should do for Keith. Moore either rebounds into serviceable. or you buy him out netting 4 million in cap verses Keith while grabbing 2 quality building pieces.

Reactions: TheDachKnight

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015

If you got some comparable trades you can list, I'd be open to the thought.
I'd think a 2nd + teams 4th/5th prospect but just dont see CHI moving him. He's fine in his mentor role.

Related to what I said above about Keith having extra value to Chicago as a mentor to all the young D they're bringing along soon, he'd have extra value above his on-ice play as a mentor to another team's young D. Keith mentoring Makar, Byram, and Timmins, or Bear, Jones, and Bouchard could help those kids and their teams long after Keith retires.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019

Cherry on top, he grew up a Bruins fan.

I’ve long thought if Keith were traded it would be Boston. He controls where he goes and I’m guessing Boston would be near the top of his list.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Moore. 1st , and Vaakanainen are exactly what the Hawks should do for Keith. Moore either rebounds into serviceable. or you buy him out netting 4 million in cap verses Keith while grabbing 2 quality building pieces.

Moore sucks , would block one of the kids or be overburden financially. He has 3 years left on deal which is problem and buyout doesn't really seem appealing as it would give Hawks dead cap space for 6 years

We have plenty of LD prospects in pipeline including 2018 1st round pick (Nicolas Beaudin) already so Vaakanainen doesn't do much for Hawks

To :hawks
D Kevan Miller ( 1 yr at $1.25M)
RW Anders Bjork ( 3 yrs at $1.6M)
Bruins 2022 1st round pick

To :bruins
D Duncan Keith

Would make more sense. Miller is 1 yr vet/dump, Bjork at RW fits need of Hawks in top 9 and has nice contract going forward and 2022 1st would be better for Hawks given hopefully COVID is away and things return to a more normal outcome with regard to drafting/scouting situation

Moore contract is problem

If Hawks take that on the B's need to sweeten pot more because those 3 years or 6 yr buyout are crap for Hawks to take on during rebuild

To :hawks
D John Moore (3 yrs left at $2.75M)
RW Ondrej Bjork (3 yrs left at $1.6M)
LW Quinn Olson (Playing at U of Minnesota-Duluth)
Bruins 2022 1st round pick

To :bruins
D Duncan Keith

Last edited:

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
He holds disproportionately more worth to the Hawks than another team. Any trade would be severely lopsided.

Very likely he's a Hawk for life and the next number retired (if not Hossa first).

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
He holds disproportionately more worth to the Hawks than another team. Any trade would be severely lopsided.

Very likely he's a Hawk for life and the next number retired (if not Hossa first).

Unless he asks for trade which is not an unreasonable scenario at this point given his age and direction of franchise

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Yeah I highly doubt any team gives up a 1st plus prospects and/or roster players for him.

37 years old and 3 years left at 5.5m. If Chicago retained 50%, I’d imagine the offers would be better. There’s a major risk in acquiring a defenseman in his late 30’s with the mileage Keith has on him.

Usually less term left on a deal means a lesser return, but I think the opposite applies in this case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad