Value of: Duncan Keith

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Imagine being this out of touch. If Hawks retain 50% every team in the league would call.

Plenty of teams will be in touch even at full price. But the NMC is the real issue, not the term or hit. Unless Chicago makes the trade conditional on the acquiring team insuring that Chicago doesn't have to deal with cap recapture, which could then make the term problematic too.

Its honestly not worth the hassle for Chicago to even shop Keith.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Plenty of teams will be in touch even at full price. But the NMC is the real issue, not the term or hit. Unless Chicago makes the trade conditional on the acquiring team insuring that Chicago doesn't have to deal with cap recapture, which could then make the term problematic too.

Its honestly not worth the hassle for Chicago to even shop Keith.

Agree with what you said. If Keith is fine sticking around to mentor the D prospects then fine but he seems annoyed with the situation. Doesn’t seem interested in the development of younger teammates.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
As a Leafs fan, although our team could use a D upgrade....i have no interest in paying what folks on here think it would cost to acquire a 35 year old signed until he's 40.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Agree with what you said. If Keith is fine sticking around to mentor the D prospects then fine but he seems annoyed with the situation. Doesn’t seem interested in the development of younger teammates.

Which means he might be open to a trade. But a guy in his situation probably isn't going to be open to a trade to ANY team. If he doesn't want to mentor, then he probably wants to play with a pretty veteran group. That's contending or at least a playoff team. And there are probably both teams and markets he wouldn't want to play on/in. And that doesn't get into the fact that he HAS to be protected in the expansion draft.

Keith signed an incredibly cap friendly contract for Chicago. But he got a lot of security and control in that contract too. Its kind of like the Skinner situation last offseason. A really good player that has some question marks and control of where he goes. He's got value, but it'll be really hard to get value for him.

Montreal might actually be a better fit than most in that they have cap space, need and veterans on D and veterans he has experience with (Weber and Price from Canada and Shaw from Chicago). But not everyone wants to play in Montreal and Montreal is still trying to retool with a view towards the future, so there'd be a serious limit to the return Chicago could expect. And Alzner would almost have to go the other way.

I just don't see a trade of Keith being worth it to Chicago.

Last edited:
Reactions: biturbo19

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I'm still in the "cheaper upgrade" department. I don't think we'd need to make a home run swing....get a guy like Gudas/Tanev.
Not interested in Tanev. Not trading for a guy I can't count on to be there when I need him.

I'm not big on Gudas but know plenty are. I don't dislike the idea.

I think if Parayko is indeed on the market, we'd be very interested. Outside of that, I don't see a big deal being made.
Just tinkering. So, Gudas.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
You also have to account that because of the NMC Keith will have to be protected in the next expension draft no matter. That make it hard for Habs to even consider acquiring him right now. We need that spot

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think many teams would want to take the risk of acquiring Keith with his contract. Keith has 4 years beyond this year and he's 35 already, I really can't see many teams gambling on that kind of deal. I don't think teams would pay the price Chicago would want for Keith.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
You also have to account that because of the NMC Keith will have to be protected in the next expension draft no matter. That make it hard for Habs to even consider acquiring him right now. We need that spot

Vegas is exempt from the expansion draft, right? They could potentially add him (and others) without worry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->