Value of: Dumping James Neal

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Neal + Kylington + 1st + 2nd for Jack Johnson & Patric Hornqvist.

I don't know why. I still have a soft spot for "lazy" James Neal.

I assume Kylington is a young potential top-4 defenseman?

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Neal + Kylington + 1st + 2nd for Jack Johnson & Patric Hornqvist.

I don't know why. I still have a soft spot for "lazy" James Neal.

I assume Kylington is a young potential top-4 defenseman?
He is and he's also not being traded to dump Neal's contract.

Also, that deal is awful for the Flames. Johnson is about as bad as Neal while Hornqvist at 32 doesn't exactly have a lot of productive years left either.

You could take out Kylington and the first and it's still an easy no.

I’d offer kylington and a first. **** him
Well thank goodness the actual GM is nowhere near as dumb as this.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
He is and he's also not being traded to dump Neal's contract.

Also, that deal is awful for the Flames. Johnson is about as bad as Neal while Hornqvist at 32 doesn't exactly have a lot of productive years left either.

You could take out Kylington and the first and it's still an easy no.

Well thank goodness the actual GM is nowhere near as dumb as this.

Getting rid of Bickel cost chicago teevo, and his contract wasn’t nearly as bad. Add to the fact kylington has no place in the lineup and we need to the cap space, you propose something.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Getting rid of Bickel cost chicago teevo, and his contract wasn’t nearly as bad. Add to the fact kylington has no place in the lineup and we need to the cap space, you propose something.
And you don't think Chicago regrets that now?

You don't throw away promising talent based on short term thinking. Kylington might not have a future in Calgary but that doesn't mean you just give him away. If he's moved, it should only be in a package deal that actually gives the Flames something they need, like a legit first line centre. Keep in mind, Kylington is waiver exempt for another season so calm down. There's no rush to do anything with him at the moment.

As for Neal, for better or worse, the Flames are stuck with him. Best case is he rebounds next year. Worst case, he's moved for a similar calibre forward, like Eriksson or Ladd. Or the Flames simply wait for a compliance buyout in the next lockout.

Flames have much bigger issues like finding a real number one centre and upgrading Jankowski into something good.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
And you don't think Chicago regrets that now?

You don't throw away promising talent based on short term thinking. Kylington might not have a future in Calgary but that doesn't mean you just give him away. If he's moved, it should only be in a package deal that actually gives the Flames something they need, like a legit first line centre. Keep in mind, Kylington is waiver exempt for another season so calm down. There's no rush to do anything with him at the moment.

As for Neal, for better or worse, the Flames are stuck with him. Best case is he rebounds next year. Worst case, he's moved for a similar calibre forward, like Eriksson or Ladd. Or the Flames simply wait for a compliance buyout in the next lockout.

Flames have much bigger issues like finding a real number one centre and upgrading Jankowski into something good.

Oh not this again...

Just an fwi, tkachuk is getting 8 million this year, Bennett probably around 3, and we need Rittich re-signed and another goalie . Kylington doesn’t move the needle on a “legit #1C”, and how are we finding the cap space to do it even if we get one? Chances are, that #1C is more expensive than Monahan, so good luck with that.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
From and Islanders perspective Ladd for Neal, both 4 years remaining on their deals, Neal has a higher caphit(by 250k) but is 2 years younger

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Unpopular opinion: his contract is harder (not worse) to move than Lucic's.

You can flip Lucic, if you're willing to assume the signing bonus

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Just a hypothetical, but what would any rebuilding team want from Calgary to dump Neal? Probably doesn't happen this year anyway, but his cap hit is gonna be a problem long-term and he hasn't been a good fit here whatsoever.

Edit: Kylington and a first to dump him. Idk if that’s enough, but he’s been awful. Knew this thread would be handy when he did **** all in the playoffs.

It's always possible that he turns things around next season. And getting another season out of the way turns it into a 3 yr deal. Retain a little salary and I don't think it would be impossible to get him off the books without costing you a fortune... it just likely doesn't happen this summer.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
It's always possible that he turns things around next season.

Why would he? Players in their early 30s who can’t skate for shit don’t often return to form, especially when they don’t look like they give a shit half the time.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Why would he? Players in their early 30s who can’t skate for **** don’t often return to form, especially when they don’t look like they give a **** half the time.

More dedication to trading in the summer, more time to acclimatize to the team/linemates/etc. It's not exactly unheard of that a player will have a shit season then do better the following season. And while I agree Neal isn't the best of skaters, he's been the same shitty skater his entire career... and outside of his Pittsburgh stint where he was flanking Malkin, he's always been a 25g+ player. And that includes when he was 30 years old just the previous season in Vegas.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
This might be a take most pens fans don’t agree with, but if we trade Kessel then I would trade for Neal if a 1st and Kylington are coming back with him. Assuming we get a 1st+ for Kessel then we could be in a position to acquire a high end pick via a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad