Value of: Dumping James Neal

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Just a hypothetical, but what would any rebuilding team want from Calgary to dump Neal? Probably doesn't happen this year anyway, but his cap hit is gonna be a problem long-term and he hasn't been a good fit here whatsoever.

Edit: Kylington and a first to dump him. Idk if that’s enough, but he’s been awful. Knew this thread would be handy when he did f*** all in the playoffs.

Last edited:

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB
Calgary has enough good contracts that Neal can be absorbed.

Perhaps he can be moved back to LV since they wanted him on the offseason.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Every time I watch Calgary he seems to get 2-3 good chances a game where the puck just bounces before it gets to him, rolls up in edge, someone somehow gets something in the way, or he just hits the side of the net. I would wait until this time next season and see how things go for him.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
He’s getting robbed almost every game. I think he’s showing some really good signs. Obviously I would try to get him out of town if I could. I just don’t see the reason why we would pay a first or something like that to get rid of him.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Regardless of the happy sentiment expressed here by some flame fans, the Neal contract is a disaster and happily the Flames are stuck with him for the next many years...but by all means Flame fans...continue to whistle past the graveyard...most amusing!

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Just a hypothetical, but what would any rebuilding team want from Calgary to dump Neal? Probably doesn't happen this year anyway, but his cap hit is gonna be a problem long-term and he hasn't been a good fit here whatsoever.
If Calgary retains 50% I’d give up a worthless two-way contract for him as a gamble.

Corvus Corax

Prospectin
Apr 22, 2005
Northern BC
I'd just hang on to him. As others have said, his shooting percentage is unsustainable and with some buyouts coming off the books, Mike Smith going away and cap going up I don't think he is a big detriment yet.
If it's still not working by this time next year, then think about moving on.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Regardless of the happy sentiment expressed here by some flame fans, the Neal contract is a disaster and happily the Flames are stuck with him for the next many years...but by all means Flame fans...continue to whistle past the graveyard...most amusing!
The only graveyard I whistle past is Edmonton as I’m on the highway to Calgary. Pot meet kettle.

1) Tre won’t give up yet
2) It’s poor asset management to give away something to get rid of his contract, which isn’t hurting us atm.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The only graveyard I whistle past is Edmonton as I’m on the highway to Calgary. Pot meet kettle.

1) Tre won’t give up yet
2) It’s poor asset management to give away something to get rid of his contract, which isn’t hurting us atm.
I agree with all this, but I don't think he's an Oiler fan. IIRC he's a Philly fan that is obsessed with hating us.

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
If Neal does not end up producing more by the end of the season/playoffs his drop off would be historic. I'm betting he bounces back somewhat.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019

Isn't he in the first year of his contract?

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
If the Flames really wanted to get rid of Neal, it wouldn’t be a problem. His buyout is just under $2 million, right now. If the Flames retained $2 million of the contract, more than one team would be interested in taking a chance that Neal returns to form elsewhere. I mean the cap is going up by almost the entire contract, at $3.75 million, next year alone. I don’t think the return would be extremely high, but we definitely wouldn’t have to tack on picks or prospects to move him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->