Dumbest thing said during lockout

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
Wetcoaster said:
Flaming: Do not post any messages that harrass, insult, belittle, threaten or flame another member or guest. Debates are fine, but argue with the point, not the person.

You posted opinions not facts. Levitt was a patronage appointment by Clinton. There are as many politicians who have said the exact opposite.

The facts are that the most serious scandals and fleecing of the investors occurred on his watch.

Prove it, at least he has posted some statements that don't seem to be as much opinion as you claim they are.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
mr gib said:
he already did - weeks ago - i even printed it out - try and keep up -

Show it to me then Gibby.

If he proved it, thats fine, but I want to see something instead of listening to complaining without facts.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
kerrly said:
Show it to me then Gibby.

If he proved it, thats fine, but I want to see something instead of listening to complaining without facts.
hang on - i have the long version - westcoaster can you - please post the arthur levitt background material - you can look thru his posts but its buried in there somewhere - didn't
mean the keep up comment -

Last edited:

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Wetcoaster said:
Flaming: Do not post any messages that harrass, insult, belittle, threaten or flame another member or guest. Debates are fine, but argue with the point, not the person.

You posted opinions not facts. Levitt was a patronage appointment by Clinton. There are as many politicians who have said the exact opposite.

The facts are that the most serious scandals and fleecing of the investors occurred on his watch.

Wouldn't it be easier to simply admit you were wrong?

The fact remains you have yet to provide a single fact supporting your claims. I've provided four links from four distinct sources contradicting your claim. I'll happily provide more, if you wish. You've provided nothing but unsubstantiated attacks on a highly regarded person's character. If there are just as many politicians out there who have said the exact opposite, link them. I know you know how to do it.

As for the scandals ... this, of course, is misleading. Leavitt proposed measures that would have stopped the fleecings, but the people above him would not enact the legislation that would have given him authority to do so. Blaming Leavitt for Enron is akin to blaming Kerry Fraser for the lockout.

Last edited:

myrocketsgotcracked

Wetcoaster said:

insults and belittling are everywhere in this forum, its not your first day posting here, so dont act all surprised and offended (especially since you also did your sharing of insultings over the months)
and just because scandals occur under levitt's watch, that doesnt necessary mean he have anything to do with it. dont underestimate the power and influence of billionaire businessmen and politicians. if levitt was the reason of millions of people losing billions of dollar, dont you think he'll be fired by now?

SENSible1*

Wetcoaster said:

I take it that you'll be following Jobu around the board attaching this to each of the numerous posts where he engages in this behaviour, right?

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
STOP THE PRESSES. THERE IS A NEW WINNER!!!!!!

Healy did it again. He said that there is no pressure on the players to come back now because they would only earn a small fraction of their 2004-5 salaries.

This is the dumbest thing said in a long time. If the players don't come back this season, the strike will not be settled until next January at the earliest. No side is goiung to make concessions over the summer or during the meaningless first half of next year. If the players don't come back now, they will not only lose all of this yeat but at least half of next year.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
bleedgreen said:
ill go with modano and his famished pooch, and mccabe complaining about "barely getting by" on his salary.

It never ceases to amaze me how heartless you people can be about poor old pearly whites. Do any of you own a giant poodle that is accumstomed to the finer life?? Judge not, lest ye be judged...

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Wetcoaster said:
"As you know the Levitt report was the result of a year long super audit by a financial expert of unassailable integrity." Gary Bettman's press conference announcing the lockout.

Gary Bettman declaring the Levitt Report a "super audit" and Levitt having unassalibale integrity :joker: - tell that to the investors who were caught out because Levitt failed as SEC Chairman in his mandate to protect investors - Enron, World.Com, Waste Management, Arthur Andersen, etc. :eek:
It was not funny because of the qualifications of Levitt. It was funny because it wasn't an audit, it was a review engagement. The difference between an audit and a review is huge accounting wise. An audit basically confirms that the numbers presented are free from mistatement in a material manner. A review merely states that nothing has come to the attention of the accountant that would indicate that the numbers are mistated, but the assurance level is alot lower than that of an audit. In statistical terms, the assurance level of an audit is at least 95% whereas with a review engagement it's at about 60%. The level of work involved in a review is subtantially less than that of an audit. Trust me, I know. As an accountant my self, I have performed both types of services to my clients, including huge multinational corporations.

Super audit my ass:lol

LadyByngJeanRatelle

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
Lil' Jimmy Norton said:
McCabe sure isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, however if he ever plays another game like he did in game 7 against the Flyers last year he should have a self imposed hold out against his services !!!!!!

Didn't the series end in 6?? Was there another game played in that series that I wasn't aware of?

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
arnie said:
STOP THE PRESSES. THERE IS A NEW WINNER!!!!!!

Healy did it again. He said that there is no pressure on the players to come back now because they would only earn a small fraction of their 2004-5 salaries.

This is the dumbest thing said in a long time. If the players don't come back this season, the strike will not be settled until next January at the earliest. No side is goiung to make concessions over the summer or during the meaningless first half of next year. If the players don't come back now, they will not only lose all of this yeat but at least half of next year.
think about it - he's right -

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site
Psycho Joe said:
It was not funny because of the qualifications of Levitt. It was funny because it wasn't an audit, it was a review engagement. The difference between an audit and a review is huge accounting wise. An audit basically confirms that the numbers presented are free from mistatement in a material manner. A review merely states that nothing has come to the attention of the accountant that would indicate that the numbers are mistated, but the assurance level is alot lower than that of an audit. In statistical terms, the assurance level of an audit is at least 95% whereas with a review engagement it's at about 60%. The level of work involved in a review is subtantially less than that of an audit. Trust me, I know. As an accountant my self, I have performed both types of services to my clients, including huge multinational corporations.

Super audit my ass:lol

I was waiting for someone else to catch that... Well Done Joe, Well Done.

So what we know then about the owners is that their numbers are true.. at least the numbers presented.

What is really needed as you Said Joe is a review. One that allows independents to go in and review all the numbers, not just what is presented.

Here is a point that really pisses me off about the owners. If they could just do that, then the players would either have all the ground, or none to stand on.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
LadyByngJeanRatelle said:
Didn't the series end in 6?? Was there another game played in that series that I wasn't aware of?

Maybe he meant to say McCabe packed seven games of bad play into a six-game series. ;)

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
Biggest Canuck Fan said:
I was waiting for someone else to catch that... Well Done Joe, Well Done.

So what we know then about the owners is that their numbers are true.. at least the numbers presented.

What is really needed as you Said Joe is a review. One that allows independents to go in and review all the numbers, not just what is presented.

Here is a point that really pisses me off about the owners. If they could just do that, then the players would either have all the ground, or none to stand on.
See, the thing is, it's not necessarily that the owner's are "hiding" revenue. It's a matter of what is revenue.
In Toronto, when you buy a luxury box, you get it for all events at the ACC. So, what percentage of that fee should be hockey income, what percentage goes to basketball, and what percentage covers other events. Obviously Toronto would have a high percentage going to hockey, but now what about LA where the Lakers are far more popular then the Kings? You'd almost have to decide this on a team-by-team basis which then becomes a lot more confusing.
Should parking, concessions, etc... be considered revenue of the hockey team?
It's not a cut and dried thing that could be decided by an audit, it would require an agreement between the owners and players on what exactly constitutes revenue of the hockey team, and what isn't

Crossroads*

Dumbest things said during the lockout has to go to Eklund...

Example of what Eklund does and probably will happen:
February 12 --> "the deal is coming today! How do I know!? 20 years in the business biatch and I will NOT reveal my name!"
February 15 --> "Just got word that a few players were dancing last-night while talking on the phone to what my sources say was Gary Bettman. That's it, deal is done and will be signed today."
February 18 --> "Gary Bettman took a **** at 12 and came out of the washroom with a look of relief on his face. Therefore, the deal will be signed today."
February 21 --> "A number of my sources say optimism is currently present for a season due to the number of positive things being said in a few news reports. A meeting will happen today, tonight, or tomorrow and a deal will be signed."

All these things give me a huge laugh...

and this is what will happen --> he'll actually get the date a deal will happen correct and thousands of people will believe him.

Eklund: "Yeah righ...!?!?! eerrr, see people, I told you I have sources!"

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
mr gib said:
think about it - he's right -
No hes not, if its not settled this year, more fans will stay away from the game, the salary caps will be lower as a result leaving the NHL the only option of offering the players a worse offer than theyve had already.

Every day that goes by, the players are losing money they will never see again. Anyone can see what a stupid strategy they are using.

Goodenow should have started negotiating 2 years aho when the NHL wanted to then he would have assured his clients didnt miss out on over a billion dollars.

Luc Labelle

Lucius 895 Injuries
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2005
Winnipeg
arnie said:
Healy is quite reliable for dumb quotes on a daily basis. Yesterday also included this one that has been reported here already:
It is not worth it for a player making a million a season to play now because he will only make $70,000 this season.
followed by:
The NHL shouldn't be giving away TV contracts for a big fat zero!
Yeah, the big fat zero represents some of the market value the players insist on operating under.

The smartest quote I have heard during the lockout was by Darren Dutchyshen last night after hearing Healy's rant
Do you think the Disney people are going to try and kick Healy out of Orlando because he is scaring the children
Healy's comments on TSN were coming via satellite out of Orlando where he was vacationing. :lol

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Steve L said:
No hes not, if its not settled this year, more fans will stay away from the game, the salary caps will be lower as a result leaving the NHL the only option of offering the players a worse offer than theyve had already.

Every day that goes by, the players are losing money they will never see again. Anyone can see what a stupid strategy they are using.

Goodenow should have started negotiating 2 years aho when the NHL wanted to then he would have assured his clients didnt miss out on over a billion dollars.
there's no point in playing if linkage is involved

matys

Jul 30, 2002
Visit site
Ladislav Nagy in Slovak magazine:

"Are you satisfied with your incomes?"

"Absolutely yes. It´s unbelievable how much we earn thanks to hockey in America. We have to appreciate it constantly. But hockey is grind. We never know what can happen. Somebody can hit me to the board from behind and I will remain on the wheelchair."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad