Dumbest quotes during lockout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Here are the dumbest quotes that I've heard over the lockout talk. Most come from players because the owners have always kept their mouth shut about it. These are quotes that I have heard may not be the exact wording but close enough.

Mike Modano - Responding to the strike pay he's going to get he quotes and says: "$400 wouldnt feed my dogs for a week!"

Gee Mike, $400 feeds me for two months! :banghead:

Scott Walker - "I was in the phone conference and not one of 150 guys questioned Bob Goodenow. No one wanted to."

Correction no one had the balls to do it. If my union leader promised we would never accept a salary cap and then we held out an enitre year and then he accepted one by the league I'd be a little pissed. Oh and Scott if it wasnt for expansion you'd be pumping gas right now! :lol

Glenn Healy - "Any players that come in as replacement players are scabs!"

Hmmm. Okay Glenn how do you feel about all of the NHLers over in Europe? Well, lets just turn a blind eye to that one shall we?

There are others so share some with us.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Big Phil said:
Here are the dumbest quotes that I've heard over the lockout talk. Most come from players because the owners have always kept their mouth shut about it. These are quotes that I have heard may not be the exact wording but close enough.

Mike Modano - Responding to the strike pay he's going to get he quotes and says: "$400 wouldnt feed my dogs for a week!"

Scott Walker - "I was in the phone conference and not one of 150 guys questioned Bob Goodenow. No one wanted to."

Correction no one had the balls to do it. If my union leader promised we would never accept a salary cap and then we held out an enitre year and then he accepted one by the league I'd be a little pissed. Oh and Scott if it wasnt for expansion you'd be pumping gas right now! :lol

Hmmm. Okay Glenn how do you feel about all of the NHLers over in Europe? Well, lets just turn a blind eye to that one shall we?

"We are the product." Linden in explaining why they can't be compared to "normal" unions.

I guess this means that they'll be selling the hotdogs, calling seasons ticket holders to renew, help park the cars, turn on the lights, make the ice, drive the zamboni, handle the payroll, negotiate with the banks/municipalities/governments, and assume all financial risks. :lol

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Still, my personal favorite:

"The NHL might be better off with 5-6 less teams in it." -- All World NHL defenseman Ken Klee....NOT.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Timmy said:
"We are the product." Linden in explaining why they can't be compared to "normal" unions.

I guess this means that they'll be selling the hotdogs, calling seasons ticket holders to renew, help park the cars, turn on the lights, make the ice, drive the zamboni, handle the payroll, negotiate with the banks/municipalities/governments, and assume all financial risks. :lol

They are the product, well they are until you show up to watch people selling hot dogs, calling season ticket holders to renew, helping park cars, turning on the lights, making the ice, driving the zamboni, handling the payrole, and negociating with the banks/municipalities/governments.

I don't see what the financial risks, and the product have in common. People come to games to watch the best in the world play hockey.... thus making the hockey players the product.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Benton Fraser said:
They are the product, well they are until you show up to watch people selling hot dogs, calling season ticket holders to renew, helping park cars, turning on the lights, making the ice, driving the zamboni, handling the payrole, and negociating with the banks/municipalities/governments.

I don't see what the financial risks, and the product have in common. People come to games to watch the best in the world play hockey.... thus making the hockey players the product.

Then why do they even need owners?

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
This thread had a promising title. But if failed to live up to its billing.

There hasn't been one quote that is actually dumb. Most are debatable. Modano's comes closest, but he did say it was $400 to feed his dogs for a month, not a week. Also he was joking back and forth with the reporter when he said it.

I'm sure some dumb things have been said on both sides. But it looks like this thread is going to turn into "I support the owners, so this player's quote sounds dumb" vs. "I support the players, so this league exec's quote sounds dumb."

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Jag68Vlady27 said:
Still, my personal favorite:

"The NHL might be better off with 5-6 less teams in it." -- All World NHL defenseman Ken Klee....NOT.

Classic.... Ya Kenny... It would and guess what..? You wouldn't be a part of it !! What an **SClown !!! God does he stink or what !! There's a clod who should be washing cars at a Super Clean for tip money.

rmp

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
Agent Ritch Winter, on the NHLPA's last offer: "is not just intelligent, it may be brilliant."

Yeah, brilliant if you're a player or an agent.

Or...

"If I was an owner, I'd be voting for Bob Goodenow Inc. because at least his deal makes sense."

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
Chuck Shick said:
Classic.... Ya Kenny... It would and guess what..? You wouldn't be a part of it !! What an **SClown !!! God does he stink or what !! There's a clod who should be washing cars at a Super Clean for tip money.

Was a dumb quote for an average player to say. But he's right

Paisano*

Todd Marchant when asked to accept a $31 Mill cap early in the lockout "They might as well throw chains and shackles on us if they expect us to accept that"

That figures out to about 1.3 mill per player, how much did you make this season Todd?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
rmp said:
Agent Ritch Winter, on the NHLPA's last offer: "is not just intelligent, it may be brilliant."

Yeah, brilliant if you're a player or an agent.

Or...

"If I was an owner, I'd be voting for Bob Goodenow Inc. because at least his deal makes sense."

aGREED. Rich Winter is a moron. He blasting Bettman for his basketball sense yet he was the one creating all these jobs for his clients by expansion...

whether its true what he says about bein "a basketball guy" or not, it's not true that he's trying to ruin the game

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Gary Bettman....

when asked if ticket prices will fall as well....

"Umm thats a good question, you have to ask each owner. it's up to them"

THATS ********.................... he can cntrol everything except ticket pricecs.. my ass... :dunno:

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
"What you people don't understand is that, while we make a lot of money, we spend a lot of money, too."

Ok, while that was actually Patrick Ewing during the NBA lockout, I could see a lot of NHLers nodding in agreement.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Big Phil said:

Of course you can eat for two months on $400. You're a human being.

Mike's dog Anastasia-Priscilla, on the other hand, is a fabulous farrah-fawcett-haired giant poodle. To keep her hearty and healthy, able to do fantastic acrobatic tricks and her fur smooth and silky requires the finest cuts of texas beef. And brother, you ain't gonna get that pooch to eat baloney, so don't make any more fun of old pearly whites, okay?? ;)

LadyByngJeanRatelle

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
How about Robert Esche saying something to the effect of:

"We'll never accept a $100 million dollar salary cap"

Tom Fitzgerald:

"I will retire before I play under a salary cap"

Of course these may not be word for word, and of course I have no links, just going on memory.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
Which PA member made the comment about the PA would rather see the NHL die before they woud accept a cap system of any sort. Something along those lines anyhow. I thought that was one of the more stupid things the PA have said. I cant remember who said it as its kinda foggy. I have this feeling like it was said a couple of times over the course of the year.

I cant beleive of idiotic these 2 parties are. The deal that just keeps giving less and less each year yet neither side seems to want to get a deal done especially the PA. :shakehead

ResidentAlien*

"Deal Imminent"
Feb 18th 2005 - pick your major sports news outlet

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
Big Phil said:
Oh and Scott if it wasnt for expansion you'd be pumping gas right now! :lol
In a thread of dumb statements, that statement was pretty dumb.

Of course just about everyone of these will be player statements. That's what happens when you don't have a gag order--anyone can say dumb things at any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad