We cannot trade for a defenseman unless they are
A) a rental
B) on an ELC.

The expansion draft is real...

Reactions: Tripod

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
We could definitely use a big guy but Dumba is nowhere near a soft player.
Dumba isn't huge - about 6' - but he's pretty tough. He is a PMD with above average skating and a bomb from the point. Defense used to be his weakness, but at this point I'd call him above average even there...the years of playing with Brodin and Suter have rubbed off on him.

If the deal can't happen till after the TDL then he likely won't be available. The only reason he would be is because of the Seattle ED.
I’m not sold on Dumba if the Flyers are acquiring a defenseman sometime after the expansion draft it should be more of a big shutdown defensive defenseman that the Flyers should be looking for.

Dumba’s style of play doesn’t lend itself to a longer career and his hockey IQ in his own zone has been somewhat reckless.

Dumba can get away with certain things because he can skate out of danger but when he slows down from those pinched open ice hits, what would Dumba be like by the age of 30 I’d bet it would be a declining scoring defenseman that wouldn’t score much.

Looking at his possession numbers is kinda telling as well.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I’m not sold on Dumba if the Flyers are acquiring a defenseman sometime after the expansion draft it should be more of a big shutdown defensive defenseman that the Flyers should be looking for.

Dumba’s style of play doesn’t lend itself to a longer career and his hockey IQ in his own zone has been somewhat reckless.

Dumba can get away with certain things because he can skate out of danger but when he slows down from those pinched open ice hits, what would Dumba be like by the age of 30 I’d bet it would be a declining scoring defenseman that wouldn’t score much.

Looking at his possession numbers is kinda telling as well.

You’re talking about a lot of things that were probably true when he was in the WHL. Been a long time since then.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
It’s funny how long these narratives from Dumba’s junior days will follow him around. He’s a good 2-way defenseman at this point. Like others have said, I would be interested in Frost or Farabee. I’m guessing the latter is a non-starter, though.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
You’re talking about a lot of things that were probably true when he was in the WHL. Been a long time since then.
I wasn’t referring to his days as a player in juniors but more what I’ve seen within the last few seasons.

Dumba has gotten better defensively and is a decent 2-way defenseman but the hockey IQ seems to be the weakness in his game.

In the end I don’t believe the Flyers should be targeting Dumba as a trade option especially since he’d be behind Myers and the 6mil cap hit isn’t all that appeasing since the pieces that are being asked for (Myers, Farabee, Frost) aren’t worth trading from a sensible POV for Dumba also the Flyers are going to have their own RFA’s to resign Hart, Sanheim, Patrick and Bunnaman, so fitting in an extra 6mil might be out of the question unless other moves are made after expansion.

Reactions: BernieParent

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I wasn’t referring to his days as a player in juniors but more what I’ve seen within the last few seasons.

Dumba has gotten better defensively and is a decent 2-way defenseman but the hockey IQ seems to be the weakness in his game.

In the end I don’t believe the Flyers should be targeting Dumba as a trade option especially since he’d be behind Myers and the 6mil cap hit isn’t all that appeasing since the pieces that are being asked for (Myers, Farabee, Frost) aren’t worth trading from a sensible POV for Dumba also the Flyers are going to have their own RFA’s to resign Hart, Sanheim, Patrick and Bunnaman, so fitting in an extra 6mil might be out of the question unless other moves are made after expansion.

Once again, what’s the case for him being behind Myers?

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
It’s funny how long these narratives from Dumba’s junior days will follow him around. He’s a good 2-way defenseman at this point. Like others have said, I would be interested in Frost or Farabee. I’m guessing the latter is a non-starter, though.

I'd center something around Frost, I like Dumba. Not at the expense of Big Phil tho.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Advanced statistics go on a andyrono.com and take a look

Looking at most common 5v5 defensive pairing production from 2018-2019 - Present:

Brodin - Dumba: 54 xGF%, 54.2 SCF%, 61.61 HDCF%, 55.1 HDGF%

Sanheim - Myers: 50.7 xGF%, 53.1 SCF%, 50.2 HDCF%, 50 HDGF%

I get Myers has good underlying numbers, but Flyers fans claiming they wouldn't trade Dumba for Myers 1-for-1 are being ridiculous. Dumba put up 14G - 36A as a 23 year old.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Looking at most common 5v5 defensive pairing production from 2018-2019 - Present:

I get Myers has good underlying numbers, but Flyers fans claiming they wouldn't trade Dumba for Myers 1-for-1 are being ridiculous. Dumba put up 14G - 36A as a 23 year old.

It’s fine if they prefer Myers because he’s younger, cheaper, taller, whatever. It’s the “better” part that doesn’t compute.

Blaine8797

Nov 26, 2018

Totally different players, what we need is a defenseman who’s good at defence more so than offence, myers gap control is insane he does everything right defensively and that’s what we need more than anything, he will be a force for years and won’t make a pile of money off of his next contract it just doesnt make sense from the flyers standpoint

Reactions: FlyguyOX

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Totally different players, what we need is a defenseman who’s good at defence more so than offence, myers gap control is insane he does everything right defensively and that’s what we need more than anything, he will be a force for years and won’t make a pile of money off of his next contract it just doesnt make sense from the flyers standpoint

Agree. His combination of being a RHD, big, strong, aggressive, and fast is valuable. He’s a mistake eraser. That’s what we need more of now than a guy that needs the puck on his stick to make a difference

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->