Rumor: Dumba deal in the works... several teams interested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think it’s Monahan for Dumba and a small +

The Flames have lots of options to take over at C, Backlund, Dube, Bennett, Lindholm

our defensive depth is putrid if we let Hamonic go and can’t sign Brodie. Both in terms of NHL players and prospect depth.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014

The Flames have lots of options to take over at C, Backlund, Dube, Bennett, Lindholm

our defensive depth is putrid if we let Hamonic go and can’t sign Brodie. Both in terms of NHL players and prospect depth.

No way flames trade Monahan for a second pair d man. Better routes to take. If the flames GM was overly concerned about the right side, why did he trade Brodie , a right d, for a centerman (Kadri). Now he wants to go the other way? I don’t think so. Resign Brodie , promote Anderson, and the top 4 is solidified. Valimaki slowly takes Gio’s spot.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome

I usually agree with your posts but this is wrong man.

Dube, Bennett, an aging Backlund are not “options”. (32 years old during upcoming season) Backlund is a great 3C and good 2C.

If anything we need to add C not send our best one for a Dman.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Elliotte Friedman on SiriusXM NHL says WPG and VAN are up there in terms of interest in Matt Dumba but Bill Guerin wants a game changer in return and will be patient.</p>&mdash; J (@account4hockey) <a href="">September 17, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

No idea if he'll get that, but at least his head's in the right place.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Well hopefully that'll stop the rumors for players like Danault, Domi. I would imagine Dylan Strome is out. Brock Boeser might be in but I can promise you that's going to look like a steal for Vancouver when we sign Boeser long term at 7M and he puts up 45 points next to Johansson or Bjugstad because he's more a product of his situation than Vancouver fans care to admit.

I know he's not a center, but if he can somehow get Laine without giving up too much in addition to Dumba that would be his best move. I can't see why WPG would move Laine for Dumba though.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Well hopefully that'll stop the rumors for players like Danault, Domi. I would imagine Dylan Strome is out. Brock Boeser might be in but I can promise you that's going to look like a steal for Vancouver when we sign Boeser long term at 7M and he puts up 45 points next to Johansson or Bjugstad because he's more a product of his situation than Vancouver fans care to admit.

I know he's not a center, but if he can somehow get Laine without giving up too much in addition to Dumba that would be his best move. I can't see why WPG would move Laine for Dumba though.
I'd put Danault in the "game changer" column for this team specifically, though I realize we disagree on that one. His contract's the only thing that'd make me wary of giving up Dumba for him.

I think we could put together a suitable package for Laine if we really wanted to, but that seems like the wrong direction to push all of our chips right now.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

It will all depend on what Guerin's definition of a game changer is, given his recent deals. I'm not sure I like the price for Dumba that the Jets would likely have to pay.

Reactions: BatVader

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Game changer is such a weird way of putting it, for example Watt Thatcher Demko did certainly looked like a game changing type player, but he’s not established.

Brock boeser At times it looks like a game changer, but is inconsistent.

William Nylander looks like a game changer in the regular season, but pretty mediocre in the playoffs

Last edited:

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'd put Danault in the "game changer" column for this team specifically, though I realize we disagree on that one. His contract's the only thing that'd make me wary of giving up Dumba for him.

I think we could put together a suitable package for Laine if we really wanted to, but that seems like the wrong direction to push all of our chips right now.

He may not be a center, but he's better than most centers we could acquire.

Laine, Fiala, Kaprizov is that elite top 6 winger pool that we were saying would make having less than great centers workable.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
It will all depend on what Guerin's definition of a game changer is, given his recent deals. I'm not sure I like the price for Dumba that the Jets would likely have to pay.
If "recent deals" refers to the Staal trade I think people are probably misinterpreting what's going on there. I expect to see Guerin eat another **** sandwich on Parise if he can find a taker, but it'd be for the same reason: to clear out the team's older leadership.

Like Zucker, Dumba would be moved for entirely different reasons.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020

Laine, Fiala, Kaprizov is that elite top 6 winger pool that we were saying would make having less than great centers workable.

I have a question? Laine on Winnipeg isn't a c? I am really confused

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

The problem with Laine is that it probably involves at least sending #9 to them and I'm not sure that's the best idea for us right now. Especially when we'd have to extend Laine, Fiala and Kaprizov over the next few years and still have no idea what we're doing at center.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Elliotte Friedman on SiriusXM NHL says WPG and VAN are up there in terms of interest in Matt Dumba but Bill Guerin wants a game changer in return and will be patient.</p>&mdash; J (@account4hockey) <a href="">September 17, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Minny wanting a centre back for Dumba and Canucks likely offering Gaudette. Minny should go elsewhere.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;I know there&#39;s a lot of talk that Vancouver could be a possible player in terms of Dumba, but if Vancouver doesn&#39;t have the centre to make that happen..and I can&#39;t imagine Jim Benning is waking up and is gonna trade Pettersson or Horvat...I just don&#39;t see the fit.&quot;<a href="https://twitter.com/RussoHockey?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@RussoHockey</a> <a href="https://t.co/3mc6dRdeTZ">pic.twitter.com/3mc6dRdeTZ</a></p>&mdash; TSN Radio Vancouver (@TSN1040) <a href="">September 17, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The problem with Laine is that it probably involves at least sending #9 to them and I'm not sure that's the best idea for us right now. Especially when we'd have to extend Laine, Fiala and Kaprizov over the next few years and still have no idea what we're doing at center.

If it's Dumba and 9, yeah, that's not the right fit, I'd opt out. Only because we still need to draft a center though. The value to me is fine.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If it's Dumba and 9, yeah, that's not the right fit, I'd opt out. Only because we still need to draft a center though. The value to me is fine.
Agreed. Maybe if they'd take both the 2021 1sts? Seems like a weird move but maybe Winnipeg thinks they could leverage some combination of those picks and #10 to get the center they want, too? Seems like they'd get better offers, though.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't trust anything Russo speculates at this point. Russo saying there's no fit with Vancouver is meaningless to me.

That's like when Wild fans said, "yeah, there's no way he trades Staal, our only top 6 center. But especially there's no way he trades Staal for a bottom 6 LW."

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Game changer is such a weird way of putting it, for example Watt Thatcher Demko did certainly looked like a game changing type player, but he’s not established.

Brock boeser At times it looks like a game changer, but is inconsistent.

William Nelander looks like a game changer in the regular season, but pretty mediocre in the playoffs

Nylander is still young and developing, he just had his first 30 goal year. Speaking of mediocre playoff resume, look no further than Matt Dumba.

Reactions: Luckylarry

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Agreed. Maybe if they'd take both the 2021 1sts? Seems like a weird move but maybe they think they could leverage some combination of those picks and #10 to get the center they want, too? Seems like they'd get better offers, though.

I don't know if I'd trade either of those either. If they want Beckman or Firstov or any other winger in our organization save Fiala and Kaprizov, sure, add him in. Any potential center (Boldy or any 1st round picks) shouldn't be moved until they're not centers.

Before I get chewed apart here, I recognize I'm not offering pieces Winnipeg fans would want, and I don't expect them to agree. The unfortunate reality is both teams need centers, specifically top 6 centers, so I can't see a deal happening, but if it does, I don't expect any centers (established or prospective) to swap teams.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't trust anything Russo speculates at this point. Russo saying there's no fit with Vancouver is meaningless to me.

That's like when Wild fans said, "yeah, there's no way he trades Staal, our only top 6 center. But especially there's no way he trades Staal for a bottom 6 LW."
I think Russo's right to nip the Dumba/Gaudette talk in the bud, but you're spot on about his speculation overall :laugh:

Reactions: Luckylarry
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad