Rumor: Dumba deal in the works... several teams interested

Status
Not open for further replies.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Is this a reliable media source? Dumba to Vancouver?
Vancouver's got like almost no cap space when you look at who they have to resign from now till 2 years from now.

Is a Canadian team involvement ever a reliable source? Funny how Canadian teams are in on every trade :rolleyes:

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
TRADE PROPOSAL:

WPG get (Dumba) + (Mete or Kulak) + (Poehling or Brook)
MIN get (Domi or Danault) + MTL 2nd rounder (2021)
MTL get (Laine or Ehlers)

Tweeking may be necesary but is value more or less fair

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
It's just acknowledging the obvious:

1.) We have 4 great defensemen and 3 of them now have NMCs
2.) We badly need a top-6 center or two
3.) While we can protect everyone we have right now in the Seattle expansion draft, adding a center that's worth a damn will require us to go 7-3 and leave a defenseman exposed

Ergo, two options: stand pat with a ****-show at center or acquire a center and trade Dumba.

The timing of the Staal trade is... odd to say the least. He basically showed his hand to the rest of the league that he needs a center now - I highly doubt Buffalo would've passed on acquiring Staal for MoJo if it meant waiting another month while he traded Dumba.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Is a Canadian team involvement ever a reliable source? Funny how Canadian teams are in on every trade :rolleyes:

Well if you're the Canucks and you think that your 2nd string goalie is legit but needs a little more time, you could trade for MAF and let Markstrom walk and give MAF maybe 55 games next year and maybe 41 the year after before the kid becomes the starter. I haven't heard what Markstrom is asking for, but he was the team's MVP this year by a country mile.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Vancouver's got like almost no cap space when you look at who they have to resign from now till 2 years from now.

You’d think it would be goodbye to Tanev

Pettersson- Boeser
Horvat

Hughes-Dumba
Demko
Is a pretty damm solid core

Reactions: Hughes Unleashed

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Not sure about that...
I think he'd look good on the top pairing playing with Edler. Edler's size and two-way abilty would pair well with Dumba's more dynamic play... Enough size to keep other teams top lines honest and enough offensive IQ to see them both put up 40+ points.
Then roll out Hughes/Tanev on the second pairing.. that would be pretty sweet
That would mean about 17 million on rhd with Meyers also .
Its be a decent rhd side if we could afford it.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
Not sure about that...
I think he'd look good on the top pairing playing with Edler. Edler's size and two-way abilty would pair well with Dumba's more dynamic play... Enough size to keep other teams top lines honest and enough offensive IQ to see them both put up 40+ points.
Then roll out Hughes/Tanev on the second pairing.. that would be pretty sweet

Here’s the issue with that scenario. There’s no guarantee they bring back Tanev to begin with it. And even if they do, that idea really only lasts as long as the length of the 20-21 season is. Edler is on his last legs, and the Canucks likely won’t sign him beyond next year unless it’s for a major discount.

And even if they do that, he’ll likely see a bottom pairing role with Rathbone or Juolevi moving up.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The timing of the Staal trade is... odd to say the least. He basically showed his hand to the rest of the league that he needs a center now - I highly doubt Buffalo would've passed on acquiring Staal for MoJo if it meant waiting another month while he traded Dumba.
Any GM that was paying attention already knew the Wild need centers, unless they really believed that Guerin acquired Bjugstad as his 2C for next year. It's semi-credible as a bluff, but other than that the need was already clear.

As for Staal, he turned in his protection list and was gone within 24 hours, so I strongly suspect that one was an attempt to shake up the locker room by trading a popular but soon-to-be-gone-anyway veteran leader. It's weird and bad as a hockey move, but I don't think it bears strongly on what happens with Dumba.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Pagnotta is a very reliable source that has broken many a hockey trade.

That said, he just says Vancouver is one of SEVERAL teams interested. Makes sense that Dumba is a hot fish on the market. He plays a coveted position and plays it well.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Wild stunner: Eric Staal dealt to Sabres, and the Matt Dumba rumors intensify
Two teams believed to be hot after Dumba are the Winnipeg Jets and Vancouver Canucks, but the Toronto Maple Leafs and Tampa Bay Lightning also have right-shot defenseman needs.
There’s lots of chatter that the Jets are willing to trade Jack Roslovic (a wing who could play center), Nikolaj Ehlers and Patrik Laine this offseason, while the Wild just hired former Canucks director of amateur scouting Judd Brackett for the same role in Minnesota.
So Brackett knows the Canucks’ roster inside and out and one does wonder if Guerin would sacrifice flipping Dumba for a center if he could get hold of right-shot sniper Brock Boeser.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Pagnotta is a very reliable source that has broken many a hockey trade.

That said, he just says Vancouver is one of SEVERAL teams interested. Makes sense that Dumba is a hot fish on the market. He plays a coveted position and plays it well.
Well, a year ago Pagnotta said that Laine's exit from Winnipeg was imminent, and then Laine re-signed with the Jets. So...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Demko was drafted with a high 2nd and is fully developed and ready to go. I'd say his value is closer to a mid 1st

No it's not.

1. Draft position is irrelevant this far after being drafted. Demko was drafted 6 years ago.
2. Demko does not have either the NHL stats or track record to command a mid 1st.
3. If Demko has that kind of value, what value does Matt Murray have? If Demko can bring back a mid 1st, Murray should definitely be in the high 1st range, but no one is reasonably expecting that.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Well, a year ago Pagnotta said that Laine's exit from Winnipeg was imminent, and then Laine re-signed with the Jets. So...
Happens to all of them at some point. You have to remember that the media is often used as a tool to leak information to influence outcomes.

You get a lot of posturing from all sides being leaked through the media.

Russo is one of the best in the business and it's happened to him too. (Which Russo also confirmed Vancouver showing interest as seen in my post above)

Last edited:

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
TRADE PROPOSAL:

WPG get (Dumba) + (Mete or Kulak) + (Poehling or Brook)
MIN get (Domi or Danault) + MTL 2nd rounder (2021)
MTL get (Laine or Ehlers)

Tweeking may be necesary but is value more or less fair
habs are not giving up that many pieces for Ehlers and I doubt Bergevin does it for Laine either if he has to fork over 10 million to sign him

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
habs are not giving up that many pieces for Ehlers and I doubt Bergevin does it for Laine either if he has to fork over 10 million to sign him
Looks like that Dumba proposal works for the Habs if they get Laine; not for Ehlers though.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I sincerely hope the Jets aren't in on this. Dumba had one big year with pp points and has 1st round pedigree. I don't see much beyond that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad