Rumor: Dumba deal in the works... several teams interested

Status
Not open for further replies.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
That certainly does not seem like a fair deal for the Wild at all.

Gaudette doesn't seem to have the upside I imagine the Wild would want for Dumba, and goalies in Demko's position only have the value of a mid to high 2nd. That doesn't cut it for Dumba.

Demko was drafted with a high 2nd and is fully developed and ready to go. I'd say his value is closer to a mid 1st

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Demko was drafted with a high 2nd and is fully developed and ready to go. I'd say his value is closer to a mid 1st
He's played less than a half-season's worth of games in the NHL. Has a goalie that raw ever been traded for any kind of a 1st?

Edit: Oh! Martin Jones! Pass on that noise.

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
I like Edmonton for Dumba. Could work a deal around RNH.

nope not trading RNH (at least I really hope not), he is one of 3 high end offensive talents on the team... can play wing or Center and has chemistry with both Drai and McD, he is extremely valuable to Edmonton.

would love Dumba on Oilers just don’t see a trade that makes sense unless they are looking for a futures package...

Last edited:
Reactions: MNRube

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
He's played less than a half-season's worth of games in the NHL. Has a goalie that raw ever been traded for any kind of a 1st?

He was worth a 2nd when drafted and has exceeded all expectations while being years into his development.

Why would his value go down or even stay the same? And no one trades those goalies because they are worth a lot

Hell didn't jones get a first and he isnt even good

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam

I don't know but with a frozen cap, cost controlled players with elite potential (which was on full display in the playoffs) should be worth a lot

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
He was worth a 2nd when drafted and has exceeded all expectations while being years into his development.

Why would his value go down or even stay the same? And no one trades those goalies because they are worth a lot
I did find an example from not long ago: Martin Jones. So it's not totally baseless even if I think it's a silly way to spend a 1st.

I have no problem with the Canucks shooting for the moon if the move Demko, but if we're talking 1sts or Dumba Minnesota shouldn't want any part of that.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Wouldn’t that be funny.

Why would Nsh wanna sacrifice o for d though

It's more NSH has too many C's and the illusion of D is just that. An illusion. It's Josi-Ellis-Ekholm, Fabbro is a ? and every one else. Ekholm paired with Dumba with Fabbro on the 3rd pairing. Minny needs a C younger than 30 and NSH might be a dark horse team in the flat cap year.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I just do not understand why Minnesota would trade their 25 year old top 4 right handed shot defensmen. The expansion draft is no reason to do this. Just protect 4 defensmen it isn't that hard. Other than Fiala, Kunin and Kaprisov if he is eligible what other forwards are worth protecting and losing Dumba over?

Makes zero sense.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I just do not understand why Minnesota would trade their 25 year old top 4 right handed shot defensmen. The expansion draft is no reason to do this. Just protect 4 defensmen it isn't that hard. Other than Fiala, Kunin and Kaprisov if he is eligible what other forwards are worth protecting and losing Dumba over?

Makes zero sense.
It's about adding a center. It's always been about adding a center.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
We can't protect Dumba or we'll lose Johansson in the ED? ...or something...

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Kind of a tough look to trade the guy right after all the BLM and civil rights stuff he did for the nhl recently. But regardless of that, it's tough to gauge his value right now. He's still pretty young and talented. He's had one really big year in 17-18 when he had like 50 points but every other year failed to surpass 34 points and was passed up by spurgeon on the top pp unit with obviously Suter QB'ing..... He could be a guy where if in the right situation and trusted with more minues and top PP time, could build that confidence and become the consistent point producing defenceman alot of us thought he could become.

That being said, no clue what teams would be in on him. Off the top of my head maybe calgary, edmonton, Pit?(despite letang and marino), Colorado(They have the cap and could be a nice compliment after makar on their 2nd pair), Vancouver if they dont bring tanev back?(i know completely different players) but could go Edler-Dumba and hughes-Myers and maybe vegas considering they have no top4 caliber right handed defenceman, buffalo if they offload someone like risto or montour or both, could also see dallas given they have alot of caproom this offseason and could use him to complete their top 4 iwth lindell, heiskanen and klingberg.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Because it’s super fun to watch your young talented RHD prospect go through their growing pains and then go on to a perennial all star elsewhere when they put it all together while you are just left with a collection of middling pieces in return.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I think something like:

Dumba + Rask for Boeser + Gaudette + Baertschi could be justified for both teams.

Gaudette isn't the centrepiece, obviously, but he's a young cost controlled centre that looks to have the potential to develop into a second line centre (some defensive warts are the real concern - offensive talent is there).

Boeser vs Dumba has been argued to death. Comes down to need and fit more than anything imo, but the value isn't far off.

Rask clears the 3rd line centre logjam in Minnesota, and moves out salary, while filling in the 3rd line centre position the canucks anticipated gaudette filling.

Baertschi could contribute for Minnesota, but has no real value. He's the least offensive piece necessary to balance the salary.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Why trade your best young defensemen for a center? Why not just build through the draft?
The two aren't mutually exclusive. They've got #9 this year. They got Boldy with #12 last year and Beckman with a 3rd. Addison in the Zucker trade, along with a second 2021 1st.

My own preference would have been to trade Spurgeon last summer to avoid this whole Brodin/Dumba choice, but that ship sailed a while ago. Clinging to all 4 defensemen when we have serious needs up front just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad