Dreger: Dumba & Brodin asking price is No.1 Center

nstarjim

Jul 5, 2018
Kotkaniemi is a non starter for Dumba.
Right now, he struggles a bit, but Kotkaniemi is still only 19 years old, and showed a great deal of potential.
1c or 2c, something that we will need in the future, with Suzuki and Danault.

Domi is the odd piece. He's better than Kotkaniemi right now (by far), but ultimatly, I see Kotkaniemi as being better down the line.
We have to keep him.

I'd do either Domi for Brodin or for Dumba, tho. I'd prefer Dumba, as it would make Petry expendable, even tho I think he's much better than Dumba right now.
No thanks. We'll keep our guys then.

Reactions: Luckylarry

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Domi is the odd piece. He's better than Kotkaniemi right now (by far), but ultimatly, I see Kotkaniemi as being better down the line.
We have to keep him.

I'd do either Domi for Brodin or for Dumba, tho. I'd prefer Dumba, as it would make Petry expendable, even tho I think he's much better than Dumba right now.

So would I. Straight up.

Reactions: Bouboumaster

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
But, once again, you seem to think we are forcing a trade. If there is no team willing to offer a 1C or a 2C+ then that’s fine. I don’t expect anyone but maybe Montreal to offer up a top center (Domi). The point I’m hammering is that a meh package won’t do in a deal.
I never once said you are being forced to make a deal. What I'm saying is and you fail to comprehend is the title of the thread is doing all the talking. asking price is a Number 1 Center and I'm saying it's not going to happen. also Domi isn't a number 1 Center.
go ahead keep ur players. I don't see how that would bother me in the slightest.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I have read In regard to what guerin of the wild is supposedly saying & it's gm speak for basically saying give me a player like domi or maybe an example like Vincent Trocheck of Florida not an actual 1c.

I find it fascinating that alot of us Toronto fans don't like others bashing our players or team but yet , you are doing the same to the wild. Remember when people were talking about Nylander, we didn't like it?

I'm not bashing their players, I never said anything bad about any of their players. I never said they suck or stink.
I'm saying how it is
Dumba is having a bad year... Brodin has 1 year left. Nylander was one of the highest bashed players last year... Leafs get bashed night in night out. Even though I'v made no such claim's I'm sorry to potentially hurt their little feelings of high expectations of a return on players that don't deserve the value being asked.
It is Dregs though so I'm not surprised the asking price is ridiculous.
Just because I'm a Laff's fan my opinion means diddly? I'm just another dumb Leafs fan that knows nothing?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I never once said you are being forced to make a deal. What I'm saying is and you fail to comprehend is the title of the thread is doing all the talking. asking price is a Number 1 Center and I'm saying it's not going to happen. also Domi isn't a number 1 Center.
go ahead keep ur players. I don't see how that would bother me in the slightest.

...and what you are failing to comprehend is that no Wild fan created the title of this thread. Nor was this a quote from Bill Guerin. It was Darren Dreger SPECULATING, nothing more. The Wild are not shopping either Brodin or Dumba.

You say that Domi isn't a number 1 center......well he would be for the Wild.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
No thanks. We'll keep our guys then.
I agree that Domi is not enough to get Dumba. But Dumba is not worth a young number one centre either. Dumba is what he is right now, and (looking at his current stat line) that’s just an okay second pair guy, who struggles defensively. IMO the Wild should move Dumba to a top team and get a first round pick back (17 to 31). Expecting a centre who is young, and has a proven number one ceiling is crazy too high.
What about Dumba for Drouin? That IMO would be a fair value trade.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I agree that Domi is not enough to get Dumba. But Dumba is not worth a young number one centre either. Dumba is what he is right now, and (looking at his current stat line) that’s just an okay second pair guy, who struggles defensively. IMO the Wild should move Dumba to a top team and get a first round pick back (17 to 31). Expecting a centre who is young, and has a provennumber one ceiling is crazy too high.

This would be the stupidest move any GM could make.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I agree that Domi is not enough to get Dumba. But Dumba is not worth a young number one centre either. Dumba is what he is right now, and (looking at his current stat line) that’s just an okay second pair guy, who struggles defensively. IMO the Wild should move Dumba to a top team and get a first round pick back (17 to 31). Expecting a centre who is young, and has a proven number one ceiling is crazy too high.
Drouin's a winger, so no.

Trading Dumba for a late 1st is asinine.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Drouin's a winger, so no.

Trading Dumba for a late 1st is asinine.
Why is getting a first round pick silly? Aren’t the Wild rebuilding?
What about the first (17-31) plus a second (50-60)?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Because if you think Dumba is worth just a late 1st round pick, then you haven't watched him play. When the Wild traded Burns they got a 1st round pick + a player (Setoguchi) + a prospect (Coyle)....and still got hosed on that deal. Dumba is worth more now than Burns was at the time he was traded.

Reactions: BlackBusa24

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If rebuilding means trading off everything they can for futures? No, probably not.

Even if they were, Dumba's 25 and has 3 years on his deal. Why trade him for picks, especially relatively lame picks?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If rebuilding means trading off everything they can for futures? No, probably not.

Even if they were, Dumba's 25 and has 3 years on his deal. Why trade him for picks, especially relatively lame picks?
Considering your points, why is Geurin floating Dumba’s name in trade talks? I guess it doesn’t hurt to ask fir a young number one (ceiling) centre, but IMO Dumba doesn’t have that type of value. That’s like a Seth Jones return, right?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Considering your points, why is Geurin floating Dumba’s name in trade talks? I guess it doesn’t hurt to ask fir a young number one (ceiling) centre, but IMO Dumba doesn’t have that type of value. That’s like a Seth Jones return, right?

He's not. Other GMs are calling him about Dumba and Brodin, not the other way around.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Because if you think Dumba is worth just a late 1st round pick, then you haven't watched him play. When the Wild traded Burns they got a 1st round pick + a player (Setoguchi) + a prospect (Coyle)....and still got hosed on that deal. Dumba is worth more now than Burns was at the time he was traded.
I agree with your point that the Wild got killed in the Burns deal.
I disagree that Dumba has the value you think. I see a Dumba for Drouin deal (if it’s the Habs Geurin is looking to deal with) as a fair trade for both sides.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I agree with your point that the Wild got killed in the Burns deal.
I disagree that Dumba has the value you think. I see a Dumba for Drouin deal (if it’s the Habs Geurin is looking to deal with) as a fair trade for both sides.

You are way undervaluing an exciting, young, offensive minded, RHD that is under contract with a reasonable cap hit. Dumba's numbers are down this year because he is just coming off his pectoral injury (and some poor puck luck). Up until he got hurt, he has shown steady improvement every season.

The Wild are better off holding on to Dumba.

Reactions: TaLoN

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
There's no indication that he is. We're on page 20 of this thread and this has been explained about 10 times now:

- Coming out of the usual January scouting meetings there have been multiple reports from guys like Russo, LeBrun and Friedman that teams are asking about Wild players, especially Brodin and Dumba. The reasons for this should be obvious (new GM that isn't necessarily attached to certain guys, team's on the bubble and direction is uncertain, etc.)

- The most recent wave of rumors (from Dreger and Friedman) is about what Guerin seems to be telling at least some teams: if you want one of these defensemen, offer a center that's worth thinking about. Not futures, not wingers, not defensemen. A center.

No one's expecting either player to be traded for a "true 1C" or whatever. If one can pull a top-6 center that we can play next to Kaprizov and/or Fiala for the next 5+ years, that's worth serious consideration. But if not it doesn't sound like Guerin's interested in moving them. That's all.

Magic Stick

Keep your head up son
No way Montreal gives Domi for either of them.

Let's hope Bergevin is not that stupid.. Young #1C, gritty, heart and soul player that loves the pressure cooker that is Montreal. He was made to play here.

He's just coming off a 72 points season, he obviously had some difficulties this season but if Bergevin trades him for any of these guys, his head will be on a spike and he will be kicked out of Montreal.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
There's no indication that he is. We're on page 20 of this thread and this has been explained about 10 times now:

- Coming out of the usual January scouting meetings there have been multiple reports from guys like Russo, LeBrun and Friedman that teams are asking about Wild players, especially Brodin and Dumba. The reasons for this should be obvious (new GM that isn't necessarily attached to certain guys, team's on the bubble and direction is uncertain, etc.)

- The most recent wave of rumors (from Dreger and Friedman) is about what Guerin seems to be telling at least some teams: if you want one of these defensemen, offer a center that's worth thinking about. Not futures, not wingers, not defensemen. A center.

No one's expecting either player to be traded for a "true 1C" or whatever. If one can pull a top-6 center that we can play next to Kaprizov and/or Fiala for the next 5+ years, that's worth serious consideration. But if not it doesn't sound like Guerin's interested in moving them. That's all.

Can a mod add this as a sticky at the top of this thread so it doesn't need to be repeated on a daily basis? :laugh:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
No way Montreal gives Domi for either of them.

Let's hope Bergevin is not that stupid.. Young #1C, gritty, heart and soul player that loves the pressure cooker that is Montreal. He was made to play here.

He's just coming off a 72 points season, he obviously had some difficulties this season but if Bergevin trades him for any of these guys, his head will be on a spike and he will be kicked out of Montreal.
What about Drouin for Dumba? Think the Habs would do that?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
All I can think is that scene from Taken where the kidnapper on the phone says ‘Good luck’ and hangs up

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don't think it matters because the Wild shouldn't trade him for a winger. Maybe Domi, if Bergevin's willing to part with him.
I could see Domi as fair, but he isn’t exactly a proven centre. Drouin has a higher ceiling as a centre IMO. He’s a much better puck distributor. Domi is a lot more feisty though.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

The reason he'd be listening on calls is because this team has no immediate replacements for Koivu or Staal in the Top 6 (Eriksson Ek looks like he could be a good shutdown #2C, but there's no one after him). Dumba is our most valuable trading piece and he also plays a position that the Wild are extremely deep at (RD: Spurgeon, Dumba, Pateryn, Menell, Addison, Belpedio, Johansson). With the expansion draft looming, the Wild will be in somewhat of a tricky situation with 4 high-end defenseman and 1 emerging one in Soucy. However, the Wild are still trading from a position of strength, so they have absolutely no obligation to take anything less than what they'd need in return for a defenseman that is two-seasons removed from a 14 goal, 50 point season & 1 season removed from a season where he was on pace for 31 goals and 56 points AS A DEFENSEMAN.

Taking anything less than a low-end 1C would be selling extremely low on a guy that looked like he was about to propel himself into talks of being the best offensive defenseman in the league, before suffering a shoulder injury that he had complications w/ during recovery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->