Dreger: Dumba & Brodin asking price is No.1 Center

hockeyenthusiast10

Dec 14, 2017
I've said it before, I think the trade will center around a center (Geekie or Mattheos or Suzuki), Gauthier and a 1st.

Min Gets:
Geekie or Mattheos or Suzuki (whichever the wild covets more)
Gauthier
1st

Car Gets: (Min might need to retain some salary)
Dumba or Brodin

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I've said it before, I think the trade will center around a center (Geekie or Mattheos), Gauthier and a 1st.

Min Gets:
Geekie or Mattheos
Gauthier
1st
3rd (if its Dumba)

Dumba or Brodin
Hartman

I don’t see this as something that addresses the Wild’s needs now or ever.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I've said it before, I think the trade will center around a center (Geekie or Mattheos or Suzuki), Gauthier and a 1st.

Min Gets:
Gauthier
1st

Dumba or Brodin
Structurally it's not dissimilar to the Burns deal, but I'm skeptical that Geekie/Mattheos/Suzuki are as highly regarded as Coyle was at the time or that Gauthier is close to where Setoguchi was. I don't like it as a return for either player, but you could make the argument with Brodin considering the term on his deal. Shouldn't be a consideration for Dumba, though.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Getting two offensive RHD's prospects like Addison and Mennell makes it slightly more likely that Dumba would be traded, but I don't Guerin being in a hurry to do it by the TDL. It would be a far better bet to wait till the summer, or next year's TDL, when there is a good chance that Dumba will return to his previous level of production, making him more valuable. The only reason to do it now would be to get in on this year's draft, but I don't see anyone offering up a top 10 pick + off the top of my head.

Also, MN has won 4 of their past 5 games, and are now within spitting distance of a playoff spot in the very weak West. BG would have some angry fans and players if he traded either Dman for anything short of a "win" that would help now, as opposed to futures.

The CAR deal proposed is not at all interesting, IMO.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
ewww. not a chance, Dumba having a horrible season, Brodin aint anything special he's good but him along with Dumba aint getting u a 1st line C. keep dreaming Minny.

Take a lap Artie.

EO0kQo0XkAEB4Lq

EO0kQpnWsAM2JFJ

EO0kQoxWAAMuoF6

Eastcoaster84

Feb 11, 2018
NS
Toronto is "well sitting in a playoff position?" Someone better tell NHL.com because when I look at the standings, Toronto is only 2 points up on Florida and the Panthers have a game in hand. So Toronto is barely in playoff position, possibly not even that depending on the tie breakers.

Also, Minnesota isn't under any pressure to win anything. Expectations were low coming into this season. If the Leafs miss the playoffs, the fans are going to go ape. No one is trying to force any trades on the Leafs or their fanbase. But the Wild have no motivation to trade Brodin or Dumba. We ARE in the driver seat. You either offer something worthwhile, or we keep them.

This isn't a Leafs thread, so feel free to get lost if you don't like the "aditude" of the Wild fans, which is basically just being content to keep our d-corps that is in the top 3 in the league.

Oh I’m not here to bash min at all. I love the d core you have, and I am here looking to see what people would think are fair offers so far it’s been 16 pages of people debating what a fair player would be with not a lot of good fits or solid proposals
My comment wasn’t about min fans it was half posters in general
And “well, in a play off position” sorry that read poorly

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Take a lap Artie.

EO0kQo0XkAEB4Lq

EO0kQpnWsAM2JFJ

EO0kQoxWAAMuoF6
Cool man, again he's nothing special. he's good I agree but he's nothing special and doesnt bring back a number 1 center.
He's a 25+point Dman that lays around a hit and blocks a couple shots per games. plays the PK alot. he's good but he's still not fetching a Number 1 Center. Dumba last year could have most likely. he's taken a big step backwards and cant see him bringing that back.
Also is Brodin coming resigned? he's only got 1 season left until UFA

FrodoBeggins

Jun 26, 2016
Kerch

Min Gets:
Gauthier
1st

Dumba or Brodin
Been + 1st for Dumba +Rask

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Brodin is an animal. It a a guarantee that whoever trades for him will immediately become smitten with him. He’s just a subtly great player.

All the Corsiphiles on HF may disagree, but every GM in the NHL wants a guy like him in their Top 4.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Usually need a year to recover from major surgery. Just hold on to Dumba until next year and the offers will come

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

Min Gets:
Gauthier
1st

Dumba or Brodin

I'd be stunned if they were to offer that kind of value for Brodin. Dumba is more logical because of his position and term (Hamilton protection), but even he's a questionmark with expansion looming. Carolina really doesn't need a player of that caliber to surround Slavin, Pesce and Hamilton. A #4 defenseman, preferably not a rental, is what is needed. If Minnesota is selling Brodin at a Muzzin-like price point or selling low on Dumba, great. That's evidently not going to be the case. I don't see the fit between the two teams.

Reactions: The S5

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Number one centers don’t go for #2 or #3 defensemen, but I guess you might as well ask since Minny doesn’t need to deal those guys.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
Brodin is one of those players I would be tempted to trade Strome for. I think that would be a really interesting move but I doubt it happens in division.

For the record I have not soured on Strome, but Dach's development has been rapid. Brodin would replace what we have missed ever since Hammer left

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I'd love to glue this guy next to Trouba but a #1C for a player who will be a UFA next year? Ryan McDonagh didn't return anything close to that.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Montreal would have interest in Dumba. Maybe a switch of first round picks as part of the trade? Along with a top 6 forward? Allows us to trade Petry this summer.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Montreal would have interest in Dumba. Maybe a switch of first round picks as part of the trade? Along with a top 6 forward? Allows us to trade Petry this summer.

I would love to see a deal with the main pieces being Dumba or Brodin to the Habs for Max Domi. Not sure what the other pieces that would need to be included would be.

Reactions: CDN24

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Cool man, again he's nothing special. he's good I agree but he's nothing special and doesnt bring back a number 1 center.
He's a 25+point Dman that lays around a hit and blocks a couple shots per games. plays the PK alot. he's good but he's still not fetching a Number 1 Center. Dumba last year could have most likely. he's taken a big step backwards and cant see him bringing that back.
Also is Brodin coming resigned? he's only got 1 season left until UFA

The 1 year left is not ideal, I'll concede but there are numerous options to aide that situation.

As for the rest, it's pretty clear that you have no idea what kind of player we're talking about especially since the first thing you said is that he "lays around a hit." Averages 1.62 hits/60 actually. 8th out of Minnesota's defensemen. He wins every battle by being the best skater on the ice in most situations, he NEVER lays the hits, he doesn't need to. And yes he blocks shot, 6 actually against Vegas on Tuesday but if you use that as a metric to why "he's good," then it is clear you're thinking of a different player or you can admit you watch him twice a year. 23 of his 24 points, came in 5v5 play or shorthanded, which would be tied for first on the Leafs in that department.

You conveniently ignored the fact that per numerous advanced analytical models, he is one of the best defensive defensemen in the sport. I'd classify that as, pretty f***ing special. Having a 26 year old elite shutdown defensemen that plays against the opposing team's top line every night would immediately make any team better, especially the Leafs given your whole bottom 10 status in every defensive team category.

And the term "#1 C", does not mean Auston Matthews. It means someone who would take on the #1 C role in MN, an area we lack (always have.)

We're keeping him anyways, it'll cost you Matthews and 5 firsts if you want him now.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
The 1 year left is not ideal, I'll concede but there are numerous options to aide that situation.

As for the rest, it's pretty clear that you have no idea what kind of player we're talking about especially since the first thing you said is that he "lays around a hit." Averages 1.62 hits/60 actually. 8th out of Minnesota's defensemen. He wins every battle by being the best skater on the ice in most situations, he NEVER lays the hits, he doesn't need to. And yes he blocks shot, 6 actually against Vegas on Tuesday but if you use that as a metric to why "he's good," then it is clear you're thinking of a different player or you can admit you watch him twice a year. 23 of his 24 points, came in 5v5 play or shorthanded, which would be tied for first on the Leafs in that department.

You conveniently ignored the fact that per numerous advanced analytical models, he is one of the best defensive defensemen in the sport. I'd classify that as, pretty ****ing special. Having a 26 year old elite shutdown defensemen that plays against the opposing team's top line every night would immediately make any team better, especially the Leafs given your whole bottom 10 status in every defensive team category.

And the term "#1 C", does not mean Auston Matthews. It means someone who would take on the #1 C role in MN, an area we lack (always have.)

We're keeping him anyways, it'll cost you Matthews and 5 firsts if you want him now.
relax, I'm not trying to downplay Brodin. he is what he is. he's a reliable defensive Dman.
his stats dont lie, I think I made a mistake on the hits, I might have meant blocks
through 57gp Brodin has
G: 2 A: 22 P: 24 PIM: 16 SOG: 82 PPP: 1 HIT: 33 BLK: 89 PK TIME: 114Mins
he's good yes. but what #1 Center are you talking about here? I can't think of a Center I'd trade for Dumba and Brodin.
unless your talking about a #1 Center on a bad team like Bozak was for the longest time which I wouldn't trade Brodin for.
Brodin will return a nice package but a #1 Center... Get Real. If Brodin had longer term at that price he would fetch alot more. I mean what did EK get again when he had 1 year left? you should be looking more into what Muzzin brought back which was Grundstrom + Durzi and a 1st. something like that is more than possible

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad