Value of: Dumba and a 1st round pick

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Would Dumba for RNH be fair?
I would do it in a heartbeat, but I don't think Edmonton would.

RNH needs a new contract, and will likely be asking north of 7.5M...certainly more than 7M. Don't see MN jumping all over that.

Anyway, to answer the OP; it's impossible to answer the question because Dumba has to reestablish himself as a legit offensive force before he will be even desirable at his present cap hit of 6M. He has looked good this year, is scoring, and the shot seems to be back, but teams will want to see him for a stretch of at least 25 games before he becomes a sought after asset again. And of course, if he does do all that, will MN even want to trade him?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
RNH needs a new contract, and will likely be asking north of 7.5M...certainly more than 7M. Don't see MN jumping all over that.

Anyway, to answer the OP; it's impossible to answer the question because Dumba has to reestablish himself as a legit offensive force before he will be even desirable at his present cap hit of 6M. He has looked good this year, is scoring, and the shot seems to be back, but teams will want to see him for a stretch of at least 25 games before he becomes a sought after asset again. And of course, if he does do all that, will MN even want to trade him?
I know we can’t afford Dumba’s cap, and don’t really have the assets to get him anyway, but imo he’d be fantastic on the Canucks.
Dumba and Hughes would be really good.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I know we can’t afford Dumba’s cap, and don’t really have the assets to get him anyway, but imo he’d be fantastic on the Canucks.
Dumba and Hughes would be really good.
Horvat would be our target, but even if Dumba returns to 50 pt. form I don't see you guys moving him.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Horvat would be our target, but even if Dumba returns to 50 pt. form I don't see you guys moving him.
That’s my point. We don’t have the pieces to get Dumba, and (if we did, like a young ELC centre) couldn’t afford the six million cap cost.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
No. I have been wanting RNH for years but he's got to be signed to extension for any deal to happen.

Question for Edmonton fans? Wht does fans of Oilers complain about him? Is it consistency problem? Pulls a disappearing act? Why causes fans to complain about his game?

Because he isn’t great at any one thing, so his production really depends on a) fit with his linemates b) usage. Tippett keeps trying to force RNH into a finisher role on McDavid’s line for some reason, but he’s at his best when he can play off two linemates and contribute in different ways as needed. That can’t happen when everyone and their dog knows McDavid will pass to RNH for a shot, but it worked fine when he had Draisaitl and Yamamoto to improvise off of.

I will also say that his effort really lacks when following up broken plays. I don’t know if it’s a stamina or strength thing or what, but he’ll battle all out for 30 seconds when in the offensive zone and then have nothing left for the return trip. Drives me nuts sometimes, though he somewhat makes up for it by being a sneaky good takeaway artist who can disrupt plays in the neutral zone.

If Minnesota was to trade for him (with extension) he probably fits best on a line with Kaprizov and Greenway since all three would be strong possession drivers and could complement one another really well. Just my opinion though, Wild fans might disagree.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, guys like Boeser and Gaudette keep getting brought up. Boeser would be a great fit in a world where MN has a top 6 Center, but that is not the case. Gaudette doesn't move the needle. Yeah, it just doesn't work. Maybe if Horvat is caught sleeping with Bennings daughter, but even then...

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Because he isn’t great at any one thing, so his production really depends on a) fit with his linemates b) usage. Tippett keeps trying to force RNH into a finisher role on McDavid’s line for some reason, but he’s at his best when he can play off two linemates and contribute in different ways as needed. That can’t happen when everyone and their dog knows McDavid will pass to RNH for a shot, but it worked fine when he had Draisaitl and Yamamoto to improvise off of.

I will also say that his effort really lacks when following up broken plays. I don’t know if it’s a stamina or strength thing or what, but he’ll battle all out for 30 seconds when in the offensive zone and then have nothing left for the return trip. Drives me nuts sometimes, though he somewhat makes up for it by being a sneaky good takeaway artist who can disrupt plays in the neutral zone.

If Minnesota was to trade for him (with extension) he probably fits best on a line with Kaprizov and Greenway since all three would be strong possession drivers and could complement one another really well. Just my opinion though, Wild fans might disagree.
I have never been a big RNH fan, but he would be a fit hockeywise on MN. Any legit top 6 C would be. I don't see them wanting to take on the contract he is likely to get. In any event, doesn't EDM need him more than they need a Dman? You've got the two big guys, then RNH, and Yamamoto. Holloway is a big maybe in a year or two.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
I have never been a big RNH fan, but he would be a fit hockeywise on MN. Any legit top 6 C would be. I don't see them wanting to take on the contract he is likely to get. In any event, doesn't EDM need him more than they need a Dman? You've got the two big guys, then RNH, and Yamamoto. Holloway is a big maybe in a year or two.

I will be surprised if RNH gets more than 7 in today's market personally, if that's what you are referring to. I don't think it's realistic. On the other hand, asking him to stay at 6 or just above probably doesn't happen either.

And I would say it really depends. The team today is built forward-heavy because that's what Chiarelli left Holland with. If RNH was dealt straight up for Dumba though, that opens up the option of moving Bouchard for a winger since Dumba/Bear would be the top four for years to come. I don't factor in Holloway because he's at least 2 years away from a spot and 4+ from being a top six guy (if he ever gets there). Really though the team needs more wingers, and RNH is probably too rich and too much of a luxury for us to afford long-term if the goal is to become more well-rounded.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't think you want a Dumba Bear duo. Dumba is now decent defensively- I'd say barely above average- but his forte is offense. Unless Bear is a lot better than I think he is defensively then that pairing would be shaky.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
No. I have been wanting RNH for years but he's got to be signed to extension for any deal to happen.

Question for Edmonton fans? Wht does fans of Oilers complain about him? Is it consistency problem? Pulls a disappearing act? Why causes fans to complain about his game?

If the Oilers sign him, they likely aren’t trading him for Dumba.

To be honest, fans probably complain about Nugent-Hopkins less than any other player except McDavid.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Winnipeg will give you roslovic, perreault and a prospect or pick for dumba straight up.

Yeah, then after that we can do Greenway, Rask and Khovanov for Schefiele.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I proposed a three way between Carolina, Minnesota and Winnipeg:

To Winnipeg: Carolina's 1st, Pittsburgh's 1st, Matthew Dumba and Morgan Geekie
To Minnesota: Martin Necas + Winnipeg's 3rd
To Carolina: Patrick Laine

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

:rolleyes:

Zahra Starker

Mar 3, 2020
Toronto

Are you stoned? Minnesota trades a 1st and dumba for necas while Carolina get Laine for necas and a 1st?? I bet you're a canes fan . Laine will cost you guys wayyyy more.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Are you stoned? Minnesota trades a 1st and dumba for necas while Carolina get Laine for necas and a 1st?? I bet you're a canes fan . Laine will cost you guys wayyyy more.

He's actually a Wild fan.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

Any fans who complain about him are in the slim minority.

Not your comment but lol at the guy who said he sucks at center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad