Dumb Trades/Signings You Wanted

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I wanted them to go after Semin before he signed with Carolina.

so did i, but i don't that would've been dumb. he signed 1 yr, 7M deal and was close to PPG. would've been clearly the 3rd best player on the team. wings had cap space to do that too.

now extending him after that to the same deal that carolina gave him..

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
I was very excited when Blashill came in.

Thought Weiss was a massive improvement over Val Filppula.

Supported trading for Phaneuf, but didn't want to give up Mantha in the deal.

Thought Ericsson's extension was very smart, that he would round out into a shutdown #3 defenseman.

I hated the Larkin pick, but that was based mostly on talk from this board and scouting reports he was "Helm with hands." Would've taken Fabbri there, so I guess the opportunity cost isn't too bad.

I really wanted us to get Datsyuk a winger, was a big proponent of signing guys like Jagr, Semin, Alfredsson.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Vanek (when he left Buffalo), Semin, Myers, and Phanooof.

Of that lot, I think the defenders would have been OK. Depends.

I was totally fine getting Quincey back. Dude even scored a goal in his first game! It was all coming up Milhouse...

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I disagree with a lot of the moves in here being dumb

for example I liked the Weiss deal and still stand behind that,yeah injuries stopped it from working out but it was a completely different kind of injury,the wrist issues he had in Florida weren't the problem

I also saw someone mention hating the Bertuzzi pick and I still stand behind that as well,I would still much much much rather have Buchnevich

Semin? signed a 1 year deal and was tied for 21st in the league in points in the lockout year with 44 points in 44 games

Niskanen? I didn't want him but this one doesn't even make sense,most Washington fans will tell you he's their best defenseman

as for a few things I wanted over the years that I would actually call dumb:

I wanted Jeff Blashill to be the coach

"anyone but Larkin" in the draft,I wanted Fabbri who would be fine and could very well still end up being the better player but it's clear that I underestimated Larkin's offensive potential quite a bit

I wanted to trade Tatar for Ehrhoff at the deadline a few months before he got bought out

I wanted to sign Lecavalier

grewalwings

May 23, 2014
Ontario
I wanted the Red Wings to pick Anthony DeAngelo in 2014, good thing we got Larkin (I notice this is not a trade/signing)

Wanted Wings to make a run at Orpik and Niskanen

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Wanted Wings to make a run at Orpik and Niskanen

The Wings did make a serious offer to Niskanen. If memory serves, they actually offered him more than Washington, but he had ties to the coach and wanted to play there.

That was the off-season Holland was outbidding everyone for defenders but nobody wanted to play in Detroit. Well, other than Stralman, who the Wings low balled and then publicly compared him to Kindl.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I've been okay with the idea of a lot of moves, but I'm not sure there are many moves that I was wholly behind. I liked the Weiss deal, but injuries killed him. I was fine letting Hudler walk and I think that was a big mistake in hindsight, especially since we didn't promote Nyquist to take his place, as I thought they would.

I thought our initial reported offer of Sheahan/Jurco/2nd was better than what Calgary took for J-Bo, though I guess that's slightly different from what the question of the thread is.

I really wanted a myers trade, was a 100% fine with trading mantha and 1st. That 1st turned into Larkin I believe right, or was it svech? Bad nonetheless!

I was fine with a Mantha/1st for Myers, and I don't think it would have been bad for us. Yeah, Myers has been hurt this year, but he's been productive in Winny and consistently a + player while holding down over 20 minutes a night.

I really wanted Ehrhoff and also talked myself into Phaneuf (though the cost was pretty low in some of that rumor) in terms of fixes for the D. I don't think either one would have helped us much in hindsight. Though Phaneuf has been okay in Ottawa.

Yep. I wanted Ehrhoff, too. With Phaneuf, I think he just gets way too much grief for not being the blueline god the media initially made him out to be. I don't know why we were so hung up on his salary considering where we've blown money since. Really wonder how cheaply we could have traded him for if Holland hadn't demanded Toronto pick up so much of the salary.

Wanted Semin, Grabovski, Erhoff, and Niskanen when they came up for UFA.

I don't really think Semin would have been awful with Datsyuk still on the team. Biggest miss there is probably Erhoff.

Yeah, and Semin was actually good that first year in Carolina, as others have pointed out. He just went all to hell after that, though.

The Wings did make a serious offer to Niskanen. If memory serves, they actually offered him more than Washington, but he had ties to the coach and wanted to play there.

That was the off-season Holland was outbidding everyone for defenders but nobody wanted to play in Detroit. Well, other than Stralman, who the Wings low balled and then publicly compared him to Kindl.

That's what I remember about Niskanen, too. He followed the coach. And the quote about Stralman was just...ugh. I wasn't even a fan of signing the guy at the time, but if that's how the Wings felt and wasn't just fluff thrown at the reported, our front office was either WAY off on Stralman or WAY off on Kindl, and neither casts them in a positive light.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
so did i, but i don't that would've been dumb. he signed 1 yr, 7M deal and was close to PPG. would've been clearly the 3rd best player on the team. wings had cap space to do that too.

now extending him after that to the same deal that carolina gave him..

I was in favor of taking a chance on Semin on a 1 year deal as well. Glad to hear it's not as dumb as I remembered. :).

Though with Holland the fears about a long extension after that are not unfounded.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I was a huge fan of Stralman, still really bummed about that whole thing.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I was interested in seeing Semin here for a season.

I would have liked to find a way to shoot for Myers

I thought Weiss would be an upgrade of Filpulla

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
I'm with you guys on the Alexander Semin signing after leaving Washington. Wasn't it said Datsyuk wasn't interested?

I still wouldn't hate finding a way to get Tyler Myers. He's a number three.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I was all in for the Weiss deal. I'm pretty sure every pundit out there thought it was a good signing; it just turned out to be a jinx for both parties.

I thought, at the time, Anaheim made the steal of the century signing Dany Heatley to a year deal for a mil (he just needs a change of scenery!, thought I). I was hoping Heater would land in Motown. Oy.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm with you guys on the Alexander Semin signing after leaving Washington. Wasn't it said Datsyuk wasn't interested?

I believe that was total speculation. Semin floated via his agent that he wanted to sign in Detroit and Datsyuk and Semin appeared to have a good relationship on Russian national teams.

So it seemed like a slam dunk! A foregone conclusion. Something inevitable. Then it didn't happen. When it didn't happen, the only logical reason the Wings wouldn't pair him with Datsyuk appeared to be if Datsyuk didn't want him?

I think honestly the Wings just didn't want a potential distraction, even on a short deal.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
I believe that was total speculation. Semin floated via his agent that he wanted to sign in Detroit and Datsyuk and Semin appeared to have a good relationship on Russian national teams.

So it seemed like a slam dunk! A foregone conclusion. Something inevitable. Then it didn't happen. When it didn't happen, the only logical reason the Wings wouldn't pair him with Datsyuk appeared to be if Datsyuk didn't want him?

I think honestly the Wings just didn't want a potential distraction, even on a short deal.

I just remember hearing a bunch of rumours over that. Wasn't Radulov a free agent then too? Weird how Detroit this year was the number 2 team for Radulov. If we didn't re-sign Helm and signed Radulov, I wonder if we are a playoff team. Radulov is a beast.

Radulov-Zetterberg-Mantha
Larkin-Nielsen-Tatar
Vanek-AA-Nyquist
Abdelkader-Sheahan-Glendening

Obviously we'd have to do some minor things for cap issues but yeah..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad