Dumb CBA Quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Just thought we could have a thread that is a collection of all the stupid things said throughout the lockout. (By members of the NHL and NHLPA only, not by some of the posters here :dunce: )

Edit:

Please give the exact quote and link.

Last edited:

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
Officer Jim Lahey said:
Just thought we could have a thread that is a collection of all the stupid things said throughout the lockout. (By members of the NHL and NHLPA only, not by some of the posters here :dunce: )

My favourite, although not an exact quote, from Bryan McCabe

We'll sit out our whole lives if we have to. :lol :lol
Please give the exact quote and a link if possible.

"The bottom line is, if they want a hard (salary) cap, we'll sit out for the rest of our lives," Toronto Maple Leafs union rep Bryan McCabe tells the Toronto Star.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=70230

That is pretty dumb and it's very funny too.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
slats432 said:
This one will be played over in many fan's heads forever.

Mike Modano said playing in the Central Hockey League for $400 a month "wouldn't pay (for) my dog's food."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Ulmer/2005/01/11/894788.html

That one will stick. But by far my favorite quote by an athlete is Patrick Ewing during the last NBA lockout saying "We make a lot of money, but we spend a lot of money too"

Hands downs the dumbest quote ever.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
JWI19 said:
That one will stick. But by far my favorite quote by an athlete is Patrick Ewing during the last NBA lockout saying "We make a lot of money, but we spend a lot of money too"

As long as we're venturing into other sports.
"I've got to feed my family." -- Latrell Sprewell on why he believed a two-year, $29 million contract offer was insulting.
Ugh.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
CarlRacki said:
As long as we're venturing into other sports.
"I've got to feed my family." -- Latrell Sprewell on why he believed a two-year, $29 million contract offer was insulting.
Ugh.

I guess a person should expect to hear some dumb things in his lifetime, but that quote is insulting to everyone who makes less than 14 mill a year.

What an *******.

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
no quotes, but Chris Pronger proved himself to be one of the silliest hockey players around with some of his statements/comments

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
kremlin said:
no quotes, but Chris Pronger proved himself to be one of the silliest hockey players around with some of his statements/comments

Here here. I once wanted that guy on the Leafs, now everytime I see him I get annoyed at his face and hope they never ever trade for him.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
''But when they toss a salary cap on the table and try to shove it down your throat you respond by saying ok **** you and you give them the middle finger'' Ray Whitney

That was an actual quote. :shakehead

Thornton97

Nov 18, 2004
Carrollton, TX
Actually that one my Whitney doesn't bother me. That sounds like a guy who is upset that his livelihood is going to take a major hit. I would say something similar if something comparative happened in my life. Of course...I wouldn't be going back to work for the same employer but that is besides the point.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Thornton97 said:
Actually that one my Whitney doesn't bother me. That sounds like a guy who is upset that his livelihood is going to take a major hit. I would say something similar if something comparative happened in my life. Of course...I wouldn't be going back to work for the same employer but that is besides the point.

You're symathetic for a multi-millionare's livelihood? I'm sure Ray will be fine.

Thornton97

Nov 18, 2004
Carrollton, TX
monster_bertuzzi said:
You're symathetic for a multi-millionare's livelihood? I'm sure Ray will be fine.
Certainly not Monster, I am pro-owner in this lockout issue (and I have no idea where sympathy comes in - but if you want to manipulate my words as such, you're free to do so), but the quotation: ''But when they toss a salary cap on the table and try to shove it down your throat you respond by saying ok **** you and you give them the middle finger'' doesn't bother me the same way Esche/McCabe/Modano's do. This at least seems like a human response. He makes no comments regarding the money he is making--he is making a blanket statement that could apply to any job negotations anywhere. His comments don't make him seem above us "mere mortals." Period.

His statement is no where near as ridiculous as the three players I previously mentioned.

Jaysfanatic*

monster_bertuzzi said:
''But when they toss a salary cap on the table and try to shove it down your throat you respond by saying ok **** you and you give them the middle finger'' Ray Whitney

That was an actual quote. :shakehead

He's just mad that he's going to lose his millions which he doesn't deserve, sorry folks, Ray Whitney is just not worth that much money, 1.5 tops.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
"Cost certainty" like they don't know that when they sign a $10 million contract IT WILL COST THEM 10 MILLION DOLLARS. :shakehead

Edit: I know, I know, but it sounds like it deserves the same status as "Peace Keeping Missile"

hockeyfan33

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
here's a some of the quotes I've collected during the lockout:

-----
"He's a basketball guy," McCabe told the Sun. "If he bumped into me on the street, he wouldn't know me. You could probably say that if he bumped into 95 per cent of the league."
-----
"He (Bettman) doesn't play hockey, Whatever he says, I don't think it means anything." - Former Whalers owner, Richard Gordon.
-----
Robert Esche to observe yesterday, "I think there's a lot of great owners out there, but they're being led by a madman."
-----
"I think the fans lost interest starting 10 years ago when Gary Bettman came in" - Brett Hull

LastChancePrice

Dec 12, 2004
monster_bertuzzi said:
''It doesn't matter if it's a 100 million dollar cap or a 200 million dollar cap, we wont accept it'' -Robert Esche

Dumbass lol :lol Esche is a very good business man :D

bladoww

Team of the Future
Jan 13, 2005
Dumb Linden quote at ESPN

...if the league responds with a proposal that includes a salary cap, the NHL might as well e-mail it, thus saving both sides the trouble of getting together just to see the players walk out.

... that's negotiating in action right there.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
JWI19 said:

priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad