Duhatscheck previews 11/12 GM meeting

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Not going to lie... if they overreact and effectively ban the chance of any and all goalie fights, I will be ticked.

Could easily just make a rule that opposing goaltenders are auto banned if they enter the other team's zone except when they're going to the bench (and even that qualifier probably isn't necessary). In other words, there couldn't be a situation where an unwilling combatant would be forced into a fight, as all he have to do is stay on his side of the blue line, and if both sides were willing they'd just dance in the neutral zone.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Not going to lie... if they overreact and effectively ban the chance of any and all goalie fights, I will be ticked.

Could easily just make a rule that opposing goaltenders are auto banned if they enter the other team's zone except when they're going to the bench (and even that qualifier probably isn't necessary). In other words, there couldn't be a situation where an unwilling combatant would be forced into a fight, as all he have to do is stay on his side of the blue line, and if both sides were willing they'd just dance in the neutral zone.

Really? I can't remember the last night I dialed up a game and hoped for a goalie fight. I get the passionate response, heat of the moment type thing during scrums around the net, or obviously between skaters, but one guy skating down the length of the ice to fight with another player with whom he has no contact whatsoever?

I still think the commissioner has it as his discretion to act outside the rules if he feels a player's actions, on and off the ice, make the league look bad.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Sure, but when was the last time you tuned into a game and hoped to see a goalie score? They're just fun and unexpected, so long as both parties are willing to go.

As I said, don't let them go into the other team's zone. Boom, a goalie would never be forced to dance against their will as a result and the option is still open.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Go with what NFS said, if the goalies want to fight they meet in center ice. If one crosses the opposing blue line then they get a punishment of some sort.

I'd also like to see them remove the trapezoid, but that's just me.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Go with what NFS said, if the goalies want to fight they meet in center ice. If one crosses the opposing blue line then they get a punishment of some sort.

I'd also like to see them remove the trapezoid, but that's just me.

While I completely agree with removing the Trapezoid as yet another failed & absurd experiment, I do take serious issue with staged fights in hockey & two goalies going at it is the absolute pinnacle of that kind of idiocy. Straight out of Slapshot. Its an embarrassment to the game, the league, the players. Just when, where & how those Carny act's even started I have no idea. Its a disgrace. Not Old School Code, its No Code.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Talk on NHL Live today with McKenzie was that hybrid icing will also be on the agenda.

Perhaps some tweaking (like when does the linesman have to make a decision).

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

I generally agree with this. And I am not a fan of fighting, but I do accept it.

The only rule they need is that an opposing goalie can't cross the other team's blueline for the purpose of instigating, or involving themselves in a fight. If both goalies want to go, they just need to meet at centre ice, and then they can dance where ever they please.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Not sure why goalies are being targetted? No player should be subjected to what Holtby was. Ban any fighting where there are not two willing combatants.

Blue Regime

Nov 15, 2008
Groton, CT
Not sure why goalies are being targetted? No player should be subjected to what Holtby was. Ban any fighting where there are not two willing combatants.

It's called the instigator. Whether or not it's effective as a deterrant is a separate debate, however.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/sto...s-execs-discuss-longer-ot-to-reduce-shootouts
AP recap
Overtime was one of many topics discussed at Tuesday's annual general managers meeting after Hockey Hall of Fame induction night, along with fighting, hybrid icing and the playoff format that was introduced for this season.

No formal rule changes came about, though the purpose of this get-together is more to set up the next meeting in March.

Also clarification of playoff format (see separate thread), reminder of "what's not acceptable" (ala NFL hazing issue), fighting (including goalies).

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...ed-at-gms-meeting/article15405581/?cmpid=rss1
Duhatschek's recap

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/27752/gms-meeting-overtime-fighting-hot-topics
LeBrun's recap

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...xtending-ot-to-minimize-shootouts-at-meetings
Stubits recap

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=691132
NHL recap

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Here is the thing. How often have we seen goalies (or those lovely overstuff teddy bears on the ice as my ex-wife called them) jump in and help one of his players in a scrum. If the teams are at even strength and the fights break out and the one goalie gets into making it a 6 on 5 fight thing--he should get the book thrown at him as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad