Due Respect to Dupuis' OFFENSIVE Game...

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Over the years we've constantly ragged on Dupuis' hands of stone and usually crediting him as being the place where offense goes to die on Sid's line. Of course, we always tolerated him mainly due to his incredible defensive game, work ethic, and penalty killing abilities.

As of last season however I think we've seen Dupuis really come a long way in terms of his offensive abilities. All 25 of his goals that were scored last season were EVEN STRENGTH, and he managed to pull that off with Sid being injured for most of the season. Needless to say that's pretty impressive for a career 3rd liner no matter which way you look at it.

Of course, we could easily label it as a "fluke" of a seasons, however this season it looks like he's thus far managed to pick up where he left off, already registering an impressive 7 goals (6 of them even strength) and 12 points (11 of them even strength).

I'm not saying that suddenly at the age of almost 34 years old Duppers will suddently become a perennial 20-25 goal, 40-50 point player, but needless to say I have become rather impressed with how much confidence and consistency he's managed to show with the puck in the past couple of seasons. Not bad for a guy that's making 1.5 mill per season either. I for one am hoping we can lock him up for at least 2 more seasons this Summer, as he's set to become a UFA.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
...I'm not saying that suddenly at the age of almost 34 years old Duppers will suddently become a perennial 20-25 goal, 40-50 point player...

Actually that appears to be the case! Definitely at least a 20G/20A player at this point and it's looking like a bit more.

I've also came to the conclusion that Crosby likes playing with Dupuis. I'd have no problem with Dupuis remaining the 3rd wheel if we trade for a winger and sliding Kunitz back onto Malkin's line. That's if Bennett doesn't stick in the top 6 this year.

Dupuis - Crosby - Stewart/Seto/Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Over the years we've constantly ragged on Dupuis' hands of stone and usually crediting him as being the place where offense goes to die on Sid's line. Of course, we always tolerated him mainly due to his incredible defensive game, work ethic, and penalty killing abilities.

As of last season however I think we've seen Dupuis really come a long way in terms of his offensive abilities. All 25 of his goals that were scored last season were EVEN STRENGTH, and he managed to pull that off with Sid being injured for most of the season. Needless to say that's pretty impressive for a career 3rd liner no matter which way you look at it.

Of course, we could easily label it as a "fluke" of a seasons, however this season it looks like he's thus far managed to pick up where he left off, already registering an impressive 7 goals (6 of them even strength) and 12 points (11 of them even strength).

I'm not saying that suddenly at the age of almost 34 years old Duppers will suddently become a perennial 20-25 goal, 40-50 point player, but needless to say I have become rather impressed with how much confidence and consistency he's managed to show with the puck in the past couple of seasons. Not bad for a guy that's making 1.5 mill per season either. I for one am hoping we can lock him up for at least 2 more seasons this Summer, as he's set to become a UFA.

Playoff caliber top six winger for sure. Don't touch the first line.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Actually that appears to be the case! Definitely at least a 20G/20A player at this point and it's looking like a bit more.

I've also came to the conclusion that Crosby likes playing with Dupuis. I'd have no problem with Dupuis remaining the 3rd wheel if we trade for a winger and sliding Kunitz back onto Malkin's line. That's if Bennett doesn't stick in the top 6 this year.

Dupuis - Crosby - Stewart/Seto/Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal

with a guy like Iginla on the other side, I could see going into the playoffs with Dupuis on the other side. With someone like Kunitz...I don't like it for the playoffs.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I've never even thought his hands were that bad. He's a shooter, keeps his feet moving and he has some sense about getting open. Even on his worst days he doesn't really hurt the team because his effort is always at 120% and plays a smart defensive game.

That being said I think Sid needs a player with a little more poise and playmaking on his wing. I still don't mind Dupes as a 3rd wheel but I would like to see a better #2.

The maker/ breaker with that first line can be Letang. I don't mind Sid playing with Dupes scoring 45 points if Letang can get 55 as a 4th wheel.

Kovifan27

Jan 17, 2012
Philly, PA
How much do you think it'll cost us to keep him this Summer then, and for how long?

I would think with his family he would stay even at a discount/current contract money. He has something like four kids I believe. I don't think he leaves and I wouldn't be shocked to see another 2 yrs at 1.5mil each. After that year by year at around 1 mil?

Max Talbot

Oct 22, 2008
Pittsburgh
How much do you think it'll cost us to keep him this Summer then, and for how long?

Thats what I was wandering, Is he playing so well that someone will throw him 3 mil or so a year. Numbers we probly cant match considering all the new deals we gotta work on. Either way hes easily turning into one of my favorites. Always was the hardest worker on the team, good to see him get some reward for that.

I bet if you asked Sid hed take Dupuis over any of those other big names.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Thats what I was wandering, Is he playing so well that someone will throw him 3 mil or so a year. Numbers we probly cant match considering all the new deals we gotta work on. Either way hes easily turning into one of my favorites. Always was the hardest worker on the team, good to see him get some reward for that.

if you ask him publicly, probably.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada

I do believe a lot of teams in this league are both desperate and foolish enough to offer him a 3 year deal at 3 million per season. We've seen worse players in this league get that kind of money recenetly (ex. Colby Armstrong). That being said, there are a lot of variables that Dupuis himself must take into account. For one, he's spent 4-5 years building considerable chemistry with Sid and Kunitz. Needless to say it won't be easy to quickly rebuild that chemistry on a new team with new linemates. On top of that, it's not every day you get to play night in and night out with the best player on the planet, which he has the priviledge of doing. Lastly, he has built quite a comfortable life for himself and his family in Pittsburgh, which is something that a lot of players around his age place massive importance on. I think those variables alone will make it difficult for him to go elsewhere for a raise of a million or so dollars a season. Personally I think he's definitely entitled to a pay raise, but not for anything more than 2.2-2.5 million per season for maximum of 3 years.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Actually, I've seen the light.

well I disagree with you then :laugh: Get Duper to the third line or upgrade Kunitz's spot in a big way.

Though with our current line-up, I would believe that Sid is happy with Kunitz and Dupuis and that could be a part of why new guys aren't tried with Sid.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I've never even thought his hands were that bad. He's a shooter, keeps his feet moving and he has some sense about getting open. Even on his worst days he doesn't really hurt the team because his effort is always at 120% and plays a smart defensive game.

That being said I think Sid needs a player with a little more poise and playmaking on his wing. I still don't mind Dupes as a 3rd wheel but I would like to see a better #2.

The maker/ breaker with that first line can be Letang. I don't mind Sid playing with Dupes scoring 45 points if Letang can get 55 as a 4th wheel.

That's where I'm at. Somebody who can handle the puck and actually create something on his own for tighter checking games when Sid is going to be swarmed.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Without even getting into which line he should be playing on, didn't he and his family still live here even during the lockout? He definitely likes it here, he's said it in several interviews. Add in the fact that the Pens will likely be contenders until he's ready to retire and unless another team blows him away with an offer he'd probably just as soon re-sign here.

Max Talbot

Oct 22, 2008
Pittsburgh
well I disagree with you then :laugh: Get Duper to the third line or upgrade Kunitz's spot in a big way.

Though with our current line-up, I would believe that Sid is happy with Kunitz and Dupuis and that could be a part of why new guys aren't tried with Sid.

Exactly Sid loves the chemistry. Is there some quotes by Sid where he mentions needing a winger? Im saying even thinking back a few years? (Edit: not that hes the tyoe of guy that would do that publicly anyway)

Or is it just some pre conceived notion by all us Pens fans and we assume he wants a star for his wing? But maybe thats not the case? Its not like him and Malkin play great when they put them together. Maybe Sid likes having his own line where he can carry the mail and make all the decisions. Whos to say a guy like Iginla would come in here and dominate?

I guess we all think back to that half season with Hossa and honestly I dont remember if he played with Sid or Malkin? I kinda blocked that season out of my mind. But if Hossa did play with Sid he did nothing with him during the regular season, and then took off in the playoffs but that wasnt because of chemistry with Sid that was because Hossa took his game to a whole new level and hes an elite talent when motivated.

Idk I guess I would take an Iginla or Stewart, but honestly Im more concerned with Malkins LW then Dupuis on Sids RW.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada

This is how I see it. A lot of people keep saying that we should be finding the ideal winger for Sid, but how do we know that Sid really wants new wingers? Personally I think he's become very comfortable and happy playing with Duppers and Kuni over the years. They've built a lot of chemistry together and I think they've found a way to compliment each other more now than ever before.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
This is how I see it. A lot of people keep saying that we should be finding the ideal winger for Sid, but how do we know that Sid really wants new wingers? Personally I think he's become very comfortable and happy playing with Duppers and Kuni over the years. They've built a lot of chemistry together and I think they've found a way to compliment each other more now than ever before.

I'm pretty sure Ogrezilla is saying get a winger upgrade for Sid.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I really have no issues where Dupuis ends up, 1st/3rd line. He is very reliable and how hasn't he warranted a raise to 2.5? They continue to pay Kennedy 2.0 for a fraction of what Dupuis does. Guy has earned everything he's done.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Exactly Sid loves the chemistry. Is there some quotes by Sid where he mentions needing a winger? Im saying even thinking back a few years? (Edit: not that hes the tyoe of guy that would do that publicly anyway)

Or is it just some pre conceived notion by all us Pens fans and we assume he wants a star for his wing? But maybe thats not the case? Its not like him and Malkin play great when they put them together. Maybe Sid likes having his own line where he can carry the mail and make all the decisions. Whos to say a guy like Iginla would come in here and dominate?

I think you nailed it with the bold there. He will never say he wants better wings publicly. He didn't say anything in 2009 either; but does anyone believe he was anything but thrilled when we brought in Kunitz and Guerin?

I guess we all think back to that half season with Hossa and honestly I dont remember if he played with Sid or Malkin? I kinda blocked that season out of my mind. But if Hossa did play with Sid he did nothing with him during the regular season, and then took off in the playoffs but that wasnt because of chemistry with Sid that was because Hossa took his game to a whole new level and hes an elite talent when motivated.

Well both he and Hossa were injured for parts of the rest of that regular season. Come playoff time, they were tremendous together. And the part about them not necessarily needing chemistry is exactly what I think we could use. Someone who can come in and play well regardless of Sid. Kunitz and Dupuis need Sid or Geno to be the players they are. Teams know that and just throw blanket coverage at Sid and Geno and force those guys to beat them. Bringing in someone that can punish teams for that is my ideal acquisition. Someone that can create offense on their own.

Idk I guess I would take an Iginla or Stewart, but honestly Im more concerned with Malkins LW then Dupuis on Sids RW.

Malkin's LW is the bigger hole right now for sure. But if we brought in an upgrade for Sid, either Kunitz or Dupuis could slide down into that spot for the time being. Wherever he plays, we absolutely need one more wing. I think getting Dupuis pushed to the third line would be ideal. He is a perfect player to have ready to step up in case of a top 6 injury.

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
It is pretty amazing how Dupuis has seemingly gotten better with age. Last year was even more impressive since he basically put up these numbers playing with Staal who is good but isn't exactly an elite playmaker like Crosby or Malkin. He does this with almost no PP time too.

I don't mind Dupuis as a 3rd wheel for Sid. I'd just like to find Sid his own Neal and reunite Kunitz with Malkin and Neal.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Right now Dupuis is a better hockey player than Kunitz.

I'd rather have Dupuis playing 3rd wheel on Sid's line than Kunitz if a winger is acquired, and never did I think I'd say that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad