Dude! What are you doing in that uniform? Part III

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Allan Bester is probably best known for his time with the 1980s Leafs, but his final 10 games in the NHL came in 1995-96 as an injury call-up for Dallas, four years after his last stint in the NHL:

I also see he signed with Anaheim at one point, and while he never played for them, this image does exist:

bester25.jpg

It's hard to tell in black and white, but he's still wearing his Detroit/Adirondack Red Wings mask there. I can only imagine how well it goes with the Ducks Disney palette. Here it is looking awful special during his 51 game stint with the Orlando Solar Bears:
bester.jpg

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
It's hard to tell in black and white, but he's still wearing his Detroit/Adirondack Red Wings mask there. I can only imagine how well it goes with the Ducks Disney palette. Here it is looking awful special during his 51 game stint with the Orlando Solar Bears: View attachment 256329
Am I missing some sort of symbolism to the bear paw logo, or did the designer just not think about what direction arms usually point when they sewed it on upside down?

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Am I missing some sort of symbolism to the bear paw logo, or did the designer just not think about what direction arms usually point when they sewed it on upside down?

Hmm. Maybe the Avalanche have some sort of trade mark on correctly oriented foot/paw shoulder patches? Reading into it more, it looks like the same guy (Joe Bosack) designed the Avalanche logo and the current iteration of the Solar Bears... not sure about the 90s IHL team though. Maybe it's the same designer trying not to repeat himself.

But on the other-hand, if you gave a solar bear a piggyback ride, his paw print would appear that way on your shoulder.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Didn't realise until now that Martin Rucinsky played 42 games with the Stars in 2001-02, between moving from Montreal to New York:

70809-5113239Fr.jpg

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Didn't realise until now that Martin Rucinsky played 42 games with the Stars in 2001-02, between moving from Montreal to New York:

70809-5113239Fr.jpg

Dallas made a big splash that off-season signing Pierre Turgeon and Donald Audette but the Stars and Audette were an awkward fit and after twenty games he was swapped to Montreal for Rucinsky (Van Allen and Brunet were also part of the trade.) Then after barely 40 games with Rucinsky, they moved him too.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Larry Murphy as a Leaf
HOFer my ass ! lol
Murphy was great -- as usual -- in Toronto. In his only full season, he was 3rd in team scoring (ahead of Gartner, Andreychuk). On a sub-.500 club, he was on the ice for 129 Leafs' goals and 75 goals against (that's overall plus 54 -- compare with Sundin, plus 38, and Gilmour, plus 21 -- and was by far the best of all Leafs' defencemen).

Luckily, Murphy got the boot in when the Wings won the '97 Cup (he had the best +/- in the playoffs, along the way) when he told the media that Leafs' fans didn't understand the game. And Toronto missed the playoffs for two years after getting rid of Murphy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad