Friedman: Ducks willing to help cap strapped teams in trades

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I see a few fan bases are offering players with either 2 or 3 years left in their contracts. Ducks I think are talking about player who have a max of one year left after this year
Cap friendly has the ducks at $71.5 mill in cap commitments for next season. Need to sign around 7 players players to hit a 23 man roster.

that’s around $13 mill. Could have upwards of $7 mill more if they want to be using ltir all season for Kesler.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Cap friendly has the ducks at $71.5 mill in cap commitments for next season. Need to sign around 7 players players to hit a 23 man roster.

that’s around $13 mill. Could have upwards of $7 mill more if they want to be using ltir all season for Kesler.

I said players signed beyond next season. Trading for cap dumps of players signed for 2 or 3 seasons is the problem.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I said players signed beyond next season. Trading for cap dumps of players signed for 2 or 3 seasons is the problem.
Anaheim would need to be careful about spending next years cap dollars at the tdl.

Never know how any of your young kids will develop next season. If a couple of them break out they could find themselves legitimately in the playoff race.

would then be best to have a few mill under the cap to make a move to improve the roster.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
To Toronto-
Manson
Deslauriers

To Anaheim-
Kapanen
Ceci
Bracco

If Manson is moved, I doubt it's for wingers. Even if Kap would be a top 6 winger for the Ducks, the system is loaded with decent/good wingers either at the NHL, AHL, or prospect levels. It'll require something that the Ducks lack in the system... a potential top 4 RHD solution for the near future or a true game breaker (which the Ducks won't receive for Manson). Ducks have Rakell, Silfverberg, Kase, Terry, Ritchie, which Kap would be an upgrade over many of them, but then the Ducks downgrade from Manson to... Holzer? Wideman? There really are no long term solution on the right side. Mahura and Larsson are probably the closest to being NHL ready, but both are LHD.

Reactions: 405Exit

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
If Manson is moved, I doubt it's for wingers. Even if Kap would be a top 6 winger for the Ducks, the system is loaded with decent/good wingers either at the NHL, AHL, or prospect levels. It'll require something that the Ducks lack in the system... a potential top 4 RHD solution for the near future or a true game breaker (which the Ducks won't receive for Manson). Ducks have Rakell, Silfverberg, Kase, Terry, Ritchie, which Kap would be an upgrade over many of them, but then the Ducks downgrade from Manson to... Holzer? Wideman? There really are no long term solution on the right side. Mahura and Larsson are probably the closest to being NHL ready, but both are LHD.

In that case,

To Toronto-
Rakell
Manson
Deslauriers

To Anaheim-
Kerfoot
Kapanen
Ceci
Liljegren

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
The idea Ducks can spend is just not the case. They have never been a cap team and are in the budget arena each year. Can they take a remaining bad one year contract for prospects? Yes but they added Gudbranson and really that probably was as far as they wanted to go. They want out of some suspect contracts and that is something they want to do.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
I think that Carolina would happily accept a (likely) very late 1st this year for Backes at the draft. It doesn't have to be a super-great pick in terms of slot. If that's still too high of a price, one of Studnicka/Beecher/Vaakanainen could also do the trick.

Studnicka/beecher are untouchable they're our only hope at C

Most likely they would wiggle Lauzon/Zboril + pick maybe K. miller

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Price and his 10+ million couldn't carry Gibson Jockstrap . I guess with his million he could buy a game worn one and pay someone to carry it for him .
Thread said ducks were in a giving mode. Maybe they can throw in sam steel as well. I appreciate their philanthropy for us weak teams.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Need a cap dump value chart. Maybe in half million dollar increments.
Wonder what that would look like.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Anaheim would need to be careful about spending next years cap dollars at the tdl.

Never know how any of your young kids will develop next season. If a couple of them break out they could find themselves legitimately in the playoff race.

would then be best to have a few mill under the cap to make a move to improve the roster.

Which is false. We are rebuilding through this draft. We’ll take the cap dumps as long as it comes with picks. Murray is already starting the rebuilding process with this rumor.

None of our important players needs to be resigned at the moment. Gibson signed Lindholm signed. The rest is cannon fodder through trade.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Isles offer Ladd and 2020 1st for a 4th rounder

Ducks take it. We will get rid of salary before the February deadline with our other players for picks. But I’m sure islanders fans won’t trade the 2020 unprotected.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
That seems kinda like an odd trade... I think we can get a 3rd or 4th for deslauries… and on the off chance miller will waive, we can prob get another 3rd or 4th. Eaves contract is insured im pretty sure so it really doesn't bother us.

Hutchinson is essentially a cap dump.
Timashov is decent
Im not sure why Toronto would only want half of the ceci contract covered(I assume you clear the full amount and try to look for a better dmen)
Based on the idea that the Leafs would retain 50% of Ceci's salary, Anaheim would gain a few things from this trade.

Ceci at 2.25M can be retained further at the deadline if the Ducks want to flip him. If Polak can get a 2nd and Brandon Davidson can get a 3rd, Ceci at 1.125M can definitely get at least a 3rd, probably more.

Also, because Patrick Eaves is only on regular IR for the Ducks (probably because they have enough cap space to not need LTIR), the Ducks would actually gain cap space by taking Ceci at 2.25M.

And in terms of Deslauriers, I can't remember the last time a 4th line bruiser went for more than a 4th round pick. As a useful young winger who will be a RFA instead of UFA in the summer, Timashov would probably also be worth a 4th or somewhere around that.

Reactions: Getz2noone

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018

Before I like!?? I want you to look at the entire first round my friend. There’s two players in this first round draft that can play right now. All RHD. The ducks need first rounders. And we will snag one of them with our assets. By the way? Larsson and Mahura are a joke.

I’m not gonna say there names, but you’ll figure it out once you click on their name.
2020 NHL Mock Draft | 2020 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Based on the idea that the Leafs would retain 50% of Ceci's salary, Anaheim would gain a few things from this trade.

Ceci at 2.25M can be retained further at the deadline if the Ducks want to flip him. If Polak can get a 2nd and Brandon Davidson can get a 3rd, Ceci at 1.125M can definitely get at least a 3rd, probably more.

Also, because Patrick Eaves is only on regular IR for the Ducks (probably because they have enough cap space to not need LTIR), the Ducks would actually gain cap space by taking Ceci at 2.25M.

And in terms of Deslauriers, I can't remember the last time a 4th line bruiser went for more than a 4th round pick. As a useful young winger who will be a RFA instead of UFA in the summer, Timashov would probably also be worth a 4th or somewhere around that.
So let me recap...

1) The ducks should take Ceci because maybe they can flip him for something later
2) The Ducks should care about Eaves leaving creating more cap space for the team with the 30th worse record in the league
3) And the Ducks should move Deslauriers because he's worth approximately something the Ducks have no need for

Why? Well, of course, because helping the Leafs is the only reason HF was even created.

Reactions: 405Exit

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
I'll take my chances...Sold

Unprotected right???? Has to be unprotected taking Ladds salary back.

Anaheim gonna get a gosh damn Lucas Raymond with that pick if shit hits the bucket being unprotected. Thank you islanders! We appreciate the quick rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad