Friedman: Ducks willing to help cap strapped teams in trades

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
And my thoughts come to fruition. Damn do I love to be right. Anaheim Ducks take on cap for picks. First rounders are coming soon...

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I imagine Toronto does a blockbuster trade where they send players with contracts to Anaheim, but they add more in order to bring a guy like Cam Fowler to Toronto.

Wonder if Chicago could send Seabrooks contract there, but Chicago would likely have to add a lot in order to make it happen.

Reactions: Crosscrease14

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Your thought wasn't Rakell for a top-10 pick?

Anyway, no team will pay a 1st for a team to take a capdump.

Bruins might for Backes, but I don't think that they'll make any move on that until they know for sure that they can get Krug locked up. If they can't re-sign him, it's probably smarter for them to hold him and bury him on the bench until his contract expires.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
There is literally no point for the Leafs to give up anything to get rid of Ceci. It's highly unlikely that they would acquire a high costing RHD without sending salary to the other team in the form of Kapanen or Johnsson, or Barrie.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I imagine Toronto does a blockbuster trade where they send players with contracts to Anaheim, but they add more in order to bring a guy like Cam Fowler to Toronto.

Wonder if Chicago could send Seabrooks contract there, but Chicago would likely have to add a lot in order to make it happen.

None of these kind of trades get done because the cost to dump a Seabrook type contract is way too high. It's why whenever we see a big cap dump trade, it's usually something like a swap of contracts (Lucic for Neal). Dumping 1 year of Marleau cost a 1st in a very strong draft.

If we see any third party trades, it'll be closer to what we saw when Vegas intervened and helped Ottawa and Pittsburgh facilitate the Brassard transaction.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Your thought wasn't Rakell for a top-10 pick?

Anyway, no team will pay a 1st for a team to take a capdump.

I told you this dumb ass GM Murray would start shopping for picks, transition..... I appreciate you throwing shade though. I was talking about this weeks ago. Thanks for the shade though. I live next to a avocado tree.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Bruins might for Backes, but I don't think that they'll make any move on that until they know for sure that they can get Krug locked up. If they can't re-sign him, it's probably smarter for them to hold him and bury him on the bench until his contract expires.
One year and a bit for Backes ( 6 million cap and 4 million real dollars ) for a decent prospect or two might be a good deal for both teams.

Reactions: McDonald19

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
One year and a bit for Backes ( 6 million cap and 4 million real dollars ) for a decent prospect or two might be a good deal for both teams.

I agree, however, I don't see Boston as at the same level of desperation to dump Backes as Dubas was to dump Marleau, mainly because Marner and Matthews were must-signs and Krug is more of a luxury. If Krug does end up re-signing, however, that changes the calculus, and if that happens, Carolina will have that Marleau buyout space open to eat up another $6M contract by the draft.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I agree, however, I don't see Boston as at the same level of desperation to dump Backes as Dubas was to dump Marleau, mainly because Marner and Matthews were must-signs and Krug is more of a luxury. If Krug does end up re-signing, however, that changes the calculus, and if that happens, Carolina will have that Marleau buyout space open to eat up another $6M contract by the draft.

Not gonna tell Boston what to do but when your top two centers are 34 and one of your two best players is also over 30 it's worth it to go for it the next couple years. Don't know if that means packaging a first with Backes but I'd probably get creative in trying to get rid of him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Anaheim is committed to $71.5 mill in cap space for next season (include Kesler who will be on LTIR plus Perry's buyout). Would leave them around $13 million in cap space next season. They aren't going to be at the ceiling, which would allow them to maximize LTIR.

Need a backup goalie, 3 Dmen, plus about 3 forwards.

Anaheim likely just eyeing what Vegas did in the Brassard deal.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Not gonna tell Boston what to do but when your top two centers are 34 and one of your two best players is also over 30 it's worth it to go for it the next couple years. Don't know if that means packaging a first with Backes but I'd probably get creative in trying to get rid of him.

I think that Carolina would happily accept a (likely) very late 1st this year for Backes at the draft. It doesn't have to be a super-great pick in terms of slot. If that's still too high of a price, one of Studnicka/Beecher/Vaakanainen could also do the trick.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
What team actually did this decently?
IT seems like every couple seasons there's a team willing to do this.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
It wasn’t just about dumping cap.

It was to be able to keep Johnsson and Kapanen. Plus Carolina had to pay out the actual money.

It was more than just the cap hit.

Just a set of circumstances we might not see again.

We may see it yet again this off-season with the Bruins and Backes if Krug decides to re-sign. That's what I'm discussing RN on this board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad