Pre-Game Talk: Ducks vs Jets - Fri Mar 23 7:00pm CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
The topic was discussed.I was just adding to it. My mind went through what it would take for the team to actually get to that point and I count Buff Myers Trouba Morrissey Enstrom as players the current coach would use on PP1 before resorting to Chiarot.

i think the PP preference, in order, is:

Buff
Myers
Trouba
Morrissey
Wheeler
Ehlers
then Enstrom
Huddy
then Chiarot

Reactions: SUX2BU and Jets 31

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
But Chiarot may be the worst on our team at getting shots through and hitting the net.
If he had the accuracy of other players he would be much better. I think he would be our last option for the PP. Hell at that point just go 5 forwards.
I absolutely disagree with this.

I'd say Myers is worst at getting shots through. Kulikov sucked at it, and Enstrom used to be great at it in the first couple of years but he got so bad at it that he now either passes the puck or just throws it in the corner rather than shoot.

Chiarot has been pretty good at getting his shot through. Accuracy isn't great, though.

PerryPooley

Dec 28, 2011
I have this nagging fear that another one of our top defencemen is going to get injured before the playoffs start. Not mentioning any names.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Sure, but that change in strategy isn't happening in the moment at the discretion of the players - it's directed by the coaching staff and is deliberate. That is when you make the personnel change.

Also, the points you are making about QoC aren't germaine to the conversation as I'm talking PP not 5v5.

As for Morrissey, you may be right, I just have a few examples of him shooting it into shinpads on recent PPs popping into my mind.

I'm pretty certain he hasn't been on the powerplay, apart from maybe being sent out for the last few seconds of an expiring powerplay, but I'm having difficulties finding PP TOI to prove it.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I absolutely disagree with this.

I'd say Myers is worst at getting shots through. Kulikov sucked at it, and Enstrom used to be great at it in the first couple of years but he got so bad at it that he now either passes the puck or just throws it in the corner rather than shoot.

Chiarot has been pretty good at getting his shot through. Accuracy isn't great, though.

Completely disagree about Kulikov. It's one of is best traits.
Florida fans all said that was one thing he did very well and I observed it game in game out.
It's not that he has some killer shot but if finds it way through.
Myers is a 1000 times better than Chiarot offensively (his struggles are in his own zone).
Buff and Trouba seem to get blocked a lot in a way that clears the zone.

Reactions: Rubixpube

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Bryan "Wet Blanket" Little added to the wing of the Statsny line for this game.

Looks good on paper...

I prefer Brian "Marge Simpson" Little myself. He is the nagging conscience of the team.

Will I watch this game without Laine: probably. Will I enjoy it as much: definitely not. Talk about apple pie without the apple.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
But Chiarot may be the worst on our team at getting shots through and hitting the net.
If he had the accuracy of other players he would be much better. I think he would be our last option for the PP. Hell at that point just go 5 forwards.
Put Chiarot at the point only if you want to soften up the PKers with some scud missiles from the point, but make sure your own players are nowhere near the slot.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Duke749

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I prefer Brian "Marge Simpson" Little myself. He is the nagging conscience of the team.

Will I watch this game without Laine: probably. Will I enjoy it as much: definitely not. Talk about apple pie without the apple.
We are certainly spoiled aren’t we? I can’t imagine the team without him now.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
As for the power play, PoMo went in depth about it in one of his media avails lately.

He spoke about how it was run last year, about how Laine wanted it to run, why he was on the "2nd" unit and how he knew fans hated him for it. How they wanted a left hand shot initially in Wheelers spot.

I know a lot of people think PoMo is full of **** but I thought it was interesting
I've liked a lot of his interviews this season. Even today he gave a lot of insight on what Laine is dealing with coming back. But I thought his comments on Connor's game and how it has developed was very informative.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I've liked a lot of his interviews this season. Even today he gave a lot of insight on what Laine is dealing with coming back. But I thought his comments on Connor's game and how it has developed was very informative.
I need to find these. I always miss him on the radio. He sounds like quite an intelligent kid.

Edit. Thought you were talking about Morrissey. Although I’m old enough to call mo a kid :)

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I need to find these. I always miss him on the radio. He sounds like quite an intelligent kid.

Edit. Thought you were talking about Morrissey. Although I’m old enough to call mo a kid :)
Here you go.

Winnipeg Jets Practice Report | Illegal Curve Hockey

I responded before I saw your edit. Just go to the 1290 website and see if they have links to his interviews. But you are right he is a very well spoken kid.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I agree , the last thing Maurice is , is stupid , very smart man . I really enjoy watching his interviews and his dry humor . :thumbu:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I hate the Ducks more than any other team in the league. Losing to them irks me more than any other team including TO. Too bad we can't meet them in the 1st round.
I might be going to the game and my batting average is 1.00 for Jets 2.0. One day I will be at a loss and it will be interesting to watch my better half. She doesn't take a loss well on tv so it might be scary to see it live...
Would love to see Buff wallpaper Kesler early in the game and MP give Perry a good beating.
I wonder if Maurice tries to match Lowry with Getzlaf...would be a good battle.
I'm expecting a good goalie duel with the Jets coming out on top 4-2.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
The interesting thing to me is we have one PP group that’s 4 right shots and 1 left shot and the other PP group is 4 left shots and one right shot.

By design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad