Pre-Game Talk: Ducks vs Jets - Fri Mar 23 7:00pm CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Chariot doesn't move the puck near well enough to play on the PP. He also doesn't move with the puck well enough to open his shot. He would be shut down pretty easily. It takes more than just a hard shot to be good in that role.

Morrissey is the optimal player for that spot as he can shoot and pass at a high level and his reads are smart and quick.
Here's the thing though - watch the way teams are defending us now. They are putting nearly no pressure on the unit past the hash marks. Everything is designed to protect the box, which is why the cross seam to Laine and bump isn't working anymore.

Chiarot won't have to be a master at puck movement. He just needs to get the puck, and get it through. IF the opposition starts coming to him and Buff to prevent that shot, then, guess what? The down low plays start to open up.

That's the point.

PS, as great as Morrissey has been he's had trouble getting his shot through, especially lately resulting in some turnovers.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Here's the thing though - watch the way teams are defending us now. They are putting nearly no pressure on the unit past the hash marks. Everything is designed to protect the box, which is why the cross seam to Laine and bump isn't working anymore.

Chiarot won't have to be a master at puck movement. He just needs to get the puck, and get it through. IF the opposition starts coming to him and Buff to prevent that shot, then, guess what? The down low plays start to open up.

That's the point.

PS, as great as Morrissey has been he's had trouble getting his shot through, especially lately resulting in some turnovers.

Sure the down low plays open up but once they do Chariot can't move it well enough to facilitate that.

Morrissey put a number on net the other day so I don't really agree with your assessent. He's also playing against much better opposition then Ben. Chariot has the luxury of playing against soft opposition where are superior forward depth completely over matched other teams depth which helps our third pair out substantially.

Reactions: Jack722

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Sure the down low plays open up but once they do Chariot can't move it well enough to facilitate that.

Morrissey put a number on net the other day so I don't really agree with your assessent. He's also playing against much better opposition then Ben. Chariot has the luxury of playing against soft opposition where are superior forward depth completely over matched other teams depth which helps our third pair out substantially.

Sure, but that change in strategy isn't happening in the moment at the discretion of the players - it's directed by the coaching staff and is deliberate. That is when you make the personnel change.

Also, the points you are making about QoC aren't germaine to the conversation as I'm talking PP not 5v5.

As for Morrissey, you may be right, I just have a few examples of him shooting it into shinpads on recent PPs popping into my mind.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Chariot doesn't move the puck near well enough to play on the PP. He also doesn't move with the puck well enough to open his shot. He would be shut down pretty easily. It takes more than just a hard shot to be good in that role.

Morrissey is the optimal player for that spot as he can shoot and pass at a high level and his reads are smart and quick.

And if there is any playing defense or 2-1s to defend I'd like JoMo there.

Not to mention JoMo has a pretty decent 1 timer.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Chairot has a hard shot but that is all he has offensively. Not a good puck mover, not particularly fast with decision making, I see no reason for him to be put on the powerplay unless you want him standing there taking bombs.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Nice analysis. I also think Buff isn't particularly well suited to 3-3 with his style of play; his value is being a big body with great awareness/offensive instincts, who can effectively join the offense 5v5, but neither of those things really have the same effectiveness in 3 on 3... Buff joining the offense is basically expected so it has very little positional 'surprise' value, and plus then you're left 3 on 3 with a forward covering on defense.

His passing is so damn good though

Reactions: Jets 31

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC

That's the point.

I haven't noticed this.

Anyways it's time for Jomo to take a few of Buff's minutes on the PP. Work on some new looks b4 postseason.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Chiarot is never going to be a primary PP option on this team. If he’s out there on PP1 there is big trouble in little China . As in injury suspension or both

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Chairot has a hard shot but that is all he has offensively. Not a good puck mover, not particularly fast with decision making, I see no reason for him to be put on the powerplay unless you want him standing there taking bombs.
That's exactly what I am talking about.

It's a strategy to address the way teams have been playing us (successfully) on the PK

To be clear - I am not married to the idea of Ben Chiarot on the PP. It could fail horribly. But, it'd be nice to reward him for his strong play and newfound offensive confidence, and it could be a way to keep the opposition off balance.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Please win.

Once we lock in #2 in division, we can wrap everyone in bubble wrap until the end of season.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Chiarot is never going to be a primary PP option on this team. If he’s out there on PP1 there is big trouble in little China . As in injury suspension or both
?

Who said primary? You don't like it when people put words in your mouth, so you shouldn't do it either.

It was just a casual suggestion of a way for us to break the oppositions current strategy against us on the PK, that's all.

Besides, these games are freebies essentially, so why not experiment a bit?

Reactions: Robinson2187

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg

That's exactly the purpose. Stand there and fire bombs. His shot is hard, would be nice to find a way to exploit it. Granted, he's not as offensively gifted as others and isn't the best option at that high point spot due to that. The other issue with having Benny out there is that Ehlers generally is the other point man, so defending will be come a bit of a challenge at times.

The idea was simply to get a shooter on the second unit, it's likely never to happen, simply a discussion point.

Reactions: Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
That's exactly the purpose. Stand there and fire bombs. His shot is hard, would be nice to find a way to exploit it. Granted, he's not as offensively gifted as others and isn't the best option at that high point spot due to that. The other issue with having Benny out there is that Ehlers generally is the other point man, so defending will be come a bit of a challenge at times.

The idea was simply to get a shooter on the second unit, it's likely never to happen, simply a discussion point.
Thanks for getting it :)

Reactions: Oilpeg

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
?

Who said primary? You don't like it when people put words in your mouth, so you shouldn't do it either.

It was just a casual suggestion of a way for us to break the oppositions current strategy against us on the PK, that's all.

Besides, these games are freebies essentially, so why not experiment a bit?

It was a general statement and was not intended to be speaking to you directly. I did not quote you. Those are my words not yours

The topic was discussed.I was just adding to it. My mind went through what it would take for the team to actually get to that point and I count Buff Myers Trouba Morrissey Enstrom as players the current coach would use on PP1 before resorting to Chiarot.

My thoughts are that we would be f***ed if it ever got to that point

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.

It's a strategy to address the way teams have been playing us (successfully) on the PK

To be clear - I am not married to the idea of Ben Chiarot on the PP. It could fail horribly. But, it'd be nice to reward him for his strong play and newfound offensive confidence, and it could be a way to keep the opposition off balance.
Ya fair enough.

I don't necessarily agree with it because I think he will struggle to break out, get pucks into the zone or make any type of plays....but the man has a cannon of a shot. I still think our powerplay is working fine when we actually get into the zone, I think we struggle getting into the zone more than we struggle to create chances once we have possession in the offensive zone.

Reactions: Jet and jer760

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
As for the power play, PoMo went in depth about it in one of his media avails lately.

He spoke about how it was run last year, about how Laine wanted it to run, why he was on the "2nd" unit and how he knew fans hated him for it. How they wanted a left hand shot initially in Wheelers spot.

I know a lot of people think PoMo is full of shit but I thought it was interesting

Reactions: KingBogo

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
As for the power play, PoMo went in depth about it in one of his media avails lately.

He spoke about how it was run last year, about how Laine wanted it to run, why he was on the "2nd" unit and how he knew fans hated him for it. How they wanted a left hand shot initially in Wheelers spot.

I know a lot of people think PoMo is full of **** but I thought it was interesting

I’d be really interested in this one, any idea of where to find it?

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Player audio: Little & Ehlers

Coach Maurice scrum topics: Update on Laine's injury. Any idea of timeline on Laine's recovery? Might he play the Nashville game? Update on Jack Roslovic? If Roslovic feels ok is he a player tomorrow? Update on Michael Hutchinson. Anything new with Mason or Trouba? Where Bryan Little fits tomorrow? How would he judge Little's season? Is Little the poster boy for the year (i.e. sacrificing for the greater good)? Should guys like Patrik Laine be blocking shots? If stuck in a no man's land would he prefer players get out of the way? On blocking shots being a "badge of honour". What are some of the other things that Kyle Connor has been doing well aside from goal scoring? On the teams the Jets face down the stretch. More on Laine. Does he need to worry about Laine coming back too quickly? This isn't an injury that this could get worse if he rushes back? How much in-game does he gather for use down the road?

To listen click here.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
I’d be really interested in this one, any idea of where to find it?

Odds are it's on the Jets website.... I really don't remember when it was exactly. You'd have to watch a lot of PoMo's pressers to figure it out.

I believe it was in the last 2 weeks.

The faster way might be to go to the illigal curve site and read through their synapses of the PoMo interviews to find it.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Why would you reward him at the expense of players who deserve it more. That would sure set a great president on the team :s.

Anyhow I don't see Moe doing it as he seems married to Myers on the point.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

But Chiarot may be the worst on our team at getting shots through and hitting the net.
If he had the accuracy of other players he would be much better. I think he would be our last option for the PP. Hell at that point just go 5 forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad