GDT: Ducks vs. Hurricanes 4:30 PM PT 11-30-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlstine

Jun 14, 2017
Think you have to give Randy a little credit for the last two OT wins.

Also they've given up almost nothing at even strength the last three games. PP could be way better tho

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017

Also they've given up almost nothing at even strength the last three games. PP could be way better tho
They given up almost nothing? Are you watching the games? I'm not giving Carlyle any credit the credit goes to our goaltending. Carolina had breakaways damn near every time Slavin touched the puck with space.

Reactions: Deuce22

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

They’ve given up plenty of chances at even strength, our goalies are just covering up the all the crap.

rlstine

Jun 14, 2017
They’ve given up plenty of chances at even strength, our goalies are just covering up the all the crap.

Yeah I probably should have said 5v5. A lot of those breakaways came on 5v4 or 4v4.

In any case I don't think it's a coincidence that the Randy criticism has gone way down once the injured players (especially Kase) started coming back. I might even be on the verge of admitting Randy is a good coach. People love to criticize because it was such a popular narrative in Toronto for so long because their media whine about everything and think they know about analytics while citing extremely basic stuff like Corsi.

You look at other teams around the league with similar injury levels and they are either significantly worse (Nashville) or in freefall (Vancouver).

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Because they don't have Gibson....

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Yeah I probably should have said 5v5. A lot of those breakaways came on 5v4 or 4v4.

In any case I don't think it's a coincidence that the Randy criticism has gone way down once the injured players (especially Kase) started coming back. I might even be on the verge of admitting Randy is a good coach. People love to criticize because it was such a popular narrative in Toronto for so long because their media whine about everything and think they know about analytics while citing extremely basic stuff like Corsi.

You look at other teams around the league with similar injury levels and they are either significantly worse (Nashville) or in freefall (Vancouver).
Nah, Randy still f***ing sucks and anyone who thinks otherwise is really drinking the kool-aid. It's just pointless criticising after every game as it's the exact same criticism as the game before, seeing this team play boring as f*** hockey, getting outplayed most nights and scrap a win because their goalie is the MVP isn't fun or interesting - because all that means if by some miracle this team makes the playoffs, they're going to get utterly embarrassed against any half decent team because they can't play with any sort of discipline or structure - two of the most important things in the playoffs.

Anaheim are not a good team with RC, not at all. Don't mistake getting some lucky wins because of ridiculous goaltending as signs of a good team. It's no surprise that soon as Gibson/Miller are 'average' this team loses in ugly ways, this is a bottom 5 team with RC if it wasn't getting the best goaltending in the NHL from Gibson and Miller, and it's not even close.

rlstine

Jun 14, 2017
I can't believe I've become the Randy defender.

My only real point is that coaching effects are overrated and injury effects are underrated. If you were going to pick out the good coaches last summer you might have said Quenneville (terrible start, fired), Gallant (basically the same record as us), or DeBoer (coaching a vastly underperforming team).

Meanwhile if you look at the team's over performing this year it's all the ones with no injuries (Buffalo, Minnesota, Columbus). And the team that won the cup last year is one that for whatever reason just never gets injured.

Show me a good coach and I'll show you a good, healthy roster.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Sounds like I missed a banger last night!
Wasn't as bad as people are saying. The first was an absolute gong show. The ducks slowly took the game over after that. The Canes are really good at turning pressure into turnovers, so the chances they got were really spectacular. And they beat our D with some up the middle hail Mary passes for breakaways that never should have worked.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Now that the Ducks are winning more games and getting healthier, don't be fooled. RC is still a dinosaur and the same problems still exist. Too many penalties, long stretches of uninspired play, outdated system that doesn't play to the individual strengths of players. Getting outshot and outskated consistently but winning games because our goalies are superior is not a sign of good coaching. The team is treading water, this is not going to result in long term success.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Yeah, I'm back to where I was a month ago: He's a bad coach, but you can overcome a bad coach, so I'm not throwing in the towel on the season just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->