GDT: Ducks vs Coyotes @ 6 PM - It’s Trevor Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuckRogers10

Feb 3, 2016
Cypress, CA
That is the problem though. Even as someone who openly loves him and will defend him having a dogshit roster to work with, him and Steel are at the stage in their careers where they need to find stretches like Comtois is doing right now where they find ways to get on the score sheet somewhat regularly and they just don’t. It’s frustrating because they’re right there at the door but they can’t break it down for long periods, only short bursts
At least Terry can be dangerous, pass the puck and is the best at entering the zone. Steel brings NOTHING.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
sorry I meant our ownership. Basically I mean Murray needs to GTFO
What do you expect them to do? This team handcuffed themselves to 3 players when making a push for the cup 3 years ago with those long term deals for getz, kesler, and perry. Those contracts are still on the books

Then they traded for henrique when all three of those guys went to hell and then awarded henrique with a killer contract when they could have shipped him out for a quality pick back then

In the mean time we lost theodore and sammy while the 3 players were out and down.

Then they could have traded silf but gave him a long term deal. You cant blame the ducks for this contract. You also cant blame them for the 3 other high priced contracts. But you could blame them for that henrique one

So what can you do now with this handcuff?

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
What do you expect them to do? This team handcuffed themselves to 3 players when making a push for the cup 3 years ago with those long term deals for getz, kesler, and perry. Those contracts are still on the books

Then they traded for henrique when all three of those guys went to hell and then awarded henrique with a killer contract when they could have shipped him out for a quality pick back then

Then they could have traded silf but gave him a long term deal. You cant blame the ducks for this contract. You also cant blame them for the 3 other high priced contracts. But you could blame them for that henrique one

what do I expect them to do? Get rid of the jackass making all the moves to start with.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho

In the mean time we lost theodore and sammy while the 3 players were out and down.

You are arguing against yourself. Who created the mess Ducks are in?

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Overall i thought it was a solid debut from Zegras. He very easily could have had 2 assists in the first if Rakell didn't continue to be the most snakebit player in the league. Off the puck play was solid as well. Only knock is he still needs to get stronger and faster but he's 19 and that will come in time.
And nearly had that goal. The number of grade a chances he was part of for how little time he actually played is remarkable. If he had 2 points but played exactly the same people would have a different tune. He does a lot of little things so well.

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
You are arguing against yourself. Who created the mess Ducks are in?
The moves made at the time were essential for a patch job while the 3 guys fell off a cliff. Something no one expected 32 year olds to experience

Even at that time, i did not agree to a tank. And henrique was a decent trade for the patch job. But when the 3 guys failed to resemble 50% of what they once were, it was time to restart. But most here wanted to continue to patch which would have made this team far far worse.

Reactions: Dmang714

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
At least Terry can be dangerous, pass the puck and is the best at entering the zone. Steel brings NOTHING.
Terry is going to take a few more years to develop. He is so skinny out there and he tries really high level plays.

Steel, I don't know. I'm a little concerned. He basically needs to get better at everything.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Are you guys really ragging on one of our only players that creates offense lol I've seen it all. If you put McDavid on this team it would still suck. No one can score, half the team can't even receive a pass with any heat on it. We generate almost zero offense from the blue line. Next season im going to make a highlight clip of how many chances Terry creates that would be easy points on a team that is not a circus. He has created so many grade A chances but guess what no one can put the puck in a f***ing empty net.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
And nearly had that goal. The number of grade a chances he was part of for how little time he actually played is remarkable. If he had 2 points but played exactly the same people would have a different tune. He does a lot of little things so well.

Can't agree. This is the grading him on a curve I was talking about.

He had a shot on net from a decently dangerous spot and he put it into the goalie's shoulder. He made a couple of passes to Rakell that turned into good chances, but they weren't exactly difficult passes.

That's about it. He turned the puck over a fair few times, didn't really contribute any to puck retrieval or defense, and the few times he tried to take on a defender one-on-one he got handled pretty easily. He was completely relegated to the perimeter unless someone else on his line did the work.

Which, I mean, kid has barely turned 19 and it was his first NHL game. But if I'm just grading him on NHL-quality play, he was pretty lackluster.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Are you guys really ragging on one of our only players that creates offense lol I've seen it all. If you put McDavid on this team it would still suck. No one can score, half the team can't even receive a pass with any heat on it. We generate almost zero offense from the blue line. Next season im going to make a highlight clip of how many chances Terry creates that would be easy points on a team that is not a circus. He has created so many grade A chances but guess what no one can put the puck in a f***ing empty net.
Depends on your definition of "creating offense." I see him looking dangerous in open ice with the puck on his stick. I also see a ton of turnovers when challenged or confronted. I see a hesitant shooter, and an inability to finish. Highlight tape would be nice, I'd actually prefer some goals or assists. Blaming his struggles to score on teammates has some validity, but every Duck player has the same excuse then.

Reactions: KyleJRM

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota

No, McDavid would not suck.

There's a lot more to being good offensively in the NHL than floating around until it's your chance to make a slick pass and hoping your teammate drills home the one-timer. It's been so long since we had guys who could consistently create goals for themselves that we have forgotten what it looks like, but it happens.

Next game, keep a count of how many times Terry touches the puck and then the next person to touch it is on the other team. Sometimes it'll be a missed pass, sometimes he won't be able to control a bouncer, sometimes he'll get bodied along the boards. But the sheer number of times the puck goes from his stick to an opponent's is massive.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
The moves made at the time were essential for a patch job while the 3 guys fell off a cliff. Something no one expected 32 year olds to experience

Even at that time, i did not agree to a tank. And henrique was a decent trade for the patch job. But when the 3 guys failed to resemble 50% of what they once were, it was time to restart. But most here wanted to continue to patch which would have made this team far far worse.

*raises hand* I expected that. I've been beating that drum for awhile: In modern sports, players get way better training before they make it to the top levels, so experience at the top levels means less and athleticism means more. Peaks are coming earlier, it's harder to guys to hang around for years in their 30s. Some guys can do it, sure, but by the percentages it's not going to happen as often as it did 30 years ago.

Guess how many skaters the last Stanley Cup champions iced who were 32 years old or older that season?

The answer is 1 - Braydon Coyburn. Every single other skater for the Lightning last year was under 32.

Modern pro sports are a young man's game. This idea that players come in and don't get going until they're 26 and then hang around until their 35 isn't true anymore, it's just something people who grew up watching sports in the 80s and 90s got used to and can't adjust.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Depends on your definition of "creating offense." I see him looking dangerous in open ice with the puck on his stick. I also see a ton of turnovers when challenged or confronted. I see a hesitant shooter, and an inability to finish. Highlight tape would be nice, I'd actually prefer some goals or assists. Blaming his struggles to score on teammates has some validity, but every Duck player has the same excuse then.
Off the top of my head he had that play where he entered the zone with very little space, cut in and hit someone perfectly in stride to create a high quality shot. He made a beautiful pass to rakell on the pp where rakell had a one time that just barely missed, he had a shot pass on goal with a guy totally blocking vision and the puck just barely squirted out, he had his shot where he positioned himself into an excellent spot and made a great shot that the goalie barely saved. He barely played and did all of that and that's just quickly off the top of my head. I don't think anyone else had 4 grade As like that. He lost some battles along the board and had some turnovers, as expected, but he also makes a ton of smart little skill plays that keep the puck in zone. They had some great long shifts and I didn't think Steel or silf really did anything to help.

He exceeded my expectations. I didn't expect him to be an all star caliber player day 1.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
The expectations of the young kids on a horrendous team is ridiculous. I don't get it.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
*raises hand* I expected that. I've been beating that drum for awhile: In modern sports, players get way better training before they make it to the top levels, so experience at the top levels means less and athleticism means more. Peaks are coming earlier, it's harder to guys to hang around for years in their 30s. Some guys can do it, sure, but by the percentages it's not going to happen as often as it did 30 years ago.

Guess how many skaters the last Stanley Cup champions iced who were 32 years old or older that season?

The answer is 1 - Braydon Coyburn. Every single other skater for the Lightning last year was under 32.

Modern pro sports are a young man's game. This idea that players come in and don't get going until they're 26 and then hang around until their 35 isn't true anymore, it's just something people who grew up watching sports in the 80s and 90s got used to and can't adjust.
I agree with this. Just don't think our young guys are anywhere near peaking. You can see this because they are clearly better than last year and there are countless examples around the league. Rakell is kind of peaking imo.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Also they do have someone who can finish: Comtois can score goals and he even has gotten assists this year, twice as many assists as Terry, as many assists as Terry has points.
Comtois has 4 assists, that is the same amount of points Terry has (4), he has nearly 3 times as many points as Terry.

Reactions: Deuce22

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
The expectations of the young kids on a horrendous team is ridiculous. I don't get it.

There are 63 players who are 23 or younger who have more than Terry's 4 points in this NHL season. We're not exactly holding him to some lofty standard.

We hold our young forwards to incredibly low standards because they're young and we don't have much else to hope on. Eventually we're going to get some real talent in here and it's going to be like the moment in Arrested Development when Buster Bluth sees an attractive woman and realizes he's been dating an old lady.

Hopefully Zegras can be the first step in that process.

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018

Im glad you came up with that. This is more of a reason to sell off our players closer to 30 than they are at 25

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
There are 63 players who are 23 or younger who have more than Terry's 4 points in this NHL season. We're not exactly holding him to some lofty standard.

We hold our young forwards to incredibly low standards because they're young and we don't have much else to hope on. Eventually we're going to get some real talent in here and it's going to be like the moment in Arrested Development when Buster Bluth sees an attractive woman and realizes he's been dating an old lady.

Hopefully Zegras can be the first step in that process.
Yes. We need some real talent coming in. Zegras first game today looked decent and he is our only prospect. Imagine if we got many more prospects like him. We can turn this around in 3 to 4 years.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I agree with this. Just don't think our young guys are anywhere near peaking. You can see this because they are clearly better than last year and there are countless examples around the league. Rakell is kind of peaking imo.

Rakell peaked three years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->