Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Michael Del Zotto (1 year, $750K)

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Rolling with a soft garbage defense again this idiot never learns. It's sad how Murray is given free reign all the while with horrible results. Carlyle was not the problem
Carlyle was absolutely the problem. BM may well be another problem, but there’s no way anyone could watch the way the team played with and without RC last year and not identify his coaching as a major issue.

MDZ wasn’t horrible. Is anyone keeping track of how many contracts we have now though?

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Carlyle was absolutely the problem. BM may well be another problem, but there’s no way anyone could watch the way the team played with and without RC last year and not identify his coaching as a major issue.

MDZ wasn’t horrible. Is anyone keeping track of how many contracts we have now though?
We're at 45 contracts and still have Kloos and De Leo to sign.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
I wasn't expecting much more as a vet defenseman signing so I am not disappointed. There is almost no risk in this signing, since if the Ducks want to they send him to San Diego and bury his complete salary. I just wish that I knew how well Hakanpaa can play and thus how much Del Zotto and Holzer will play.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Bit of a meh signing, but infinitely better than some boneheaded trade for a JMFJ type.

Kinda wish we waited a bit to see the Gardiner situation develop. I guess if Gardiner were to agree to a prove-it deal, it wouldn't be too hard to move MDZ...

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Bit of a meh signing, but infinitely better than some boneheaded trade for a JMFJ type.

Kinda wish we waited a bit to see the Gardiner situation develop. I guess if Gardiner were to agree to a prove-it deal, it wouldn't be too hard to move MDZ...

I don't think this would take us out at all. Probably gonna have to give a one-way to get an AHL defenseman or two, could just as easily be Holzer or MDZ. Hakanpaa could also very easily either be that or a Rodin like situation.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
This is so cheap that it doesn't bother me at all. Bob is good at signing guys that are so average that it barely registers for me as anything even happening.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Rolling with a soft garbage defense again this idiot never learns. It's sad how Murray is given free reign all the while with horrible results. Carlyle was not the problem

Odd. Bob put Lindholm and Manson together again. Isn't that pairing a smash 'em, beat 'em, and don't care who you are blue line that you'd like? And, not surprisingly, helped spur the Ducks to a 14-11-1 (29 points) to conclude the season.

Carlyle: 56 games; PF = 127 goals, PF rate = 2.27 goals per game; PA = 182 goals, PA rate = 3.25 goals allowed per game.

Bob: 26 games; PF = 72 goals, PF rate = 2.77 goals per game; PA = 69 goals, PA rate = 2.65 goals allowed per game.

Signing MDZ, in my opinion, means that Lindholm and Manson will stay together. MDZ or Guhle will be paired with Fowler.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Whenever. He’s pretty much hot garbage at this point but at that cap hit can easily be buried in the minors.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Honestly though, MDZ was just a part of a Stanley Cup winning team. Although he didn't play, he was still around the group. Can't be a bad thing to have around the locker room for $750k. Teach these guys how to be pros.

MDZ is more likely to be teaching them opening lines on tinder than he is to be a pro. This guy has always cared more about off ice activities than what’s going on on the ice.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Lol, I thought someone bumped an old thread but they actually signed him. At first I was like meh and still am, but he's so cheap and the contract is only for one year. He could easily be sent to AHL. Maybe he's a backup plan if Hakanpää doesn't work out.

I guess at least this means that BM isn't going to sign Phaneuf.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
We had Schenn, Sustr and Dotchin last year. Pretty tough guys. Didn`t end well.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
This guy is an absolute defensive dumpster fire on skates. Sure it's just veteran D depth á la Bob, but I fail to see how you guys are treating this as an okay signing. If anything, this'll probably make us worse.

Anywho: DOMO ARIGATO MICHAEL DEL ZOTTO

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
This guy is an absolute defensive dumpster fire on skates. Sure it's just veteran D depth á la Bob, but I fail to see how you guys are treating this as an okay signing. If anything, this'll probably make us worse.

Anywho: DOMO ARIGATO MICHAEL DEL ZOTTO

It’s only ok because he’s on so little and SAN Diego’s D needed shoring up. If he’s in the top 4 come October then the signing will be an issue.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8

What exactly were you hoping for this season? It's a developmental year. Playoffs would be a nice treat but there's no reason to go for it next year. It's not our turn again yet.

As long as comparable signings like this are kept cheap and short I really don't see the harm.

Also, are you suggesting at all that Carlyle should not have been fired? Sure he wasn't the problem, but he was still a massive problem on a team that had many problems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad