Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Kodie Curran (2 years, $1M AAV)

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Yes but he’s already 23 and hasn’t made his mark on the NHL level or impressed management. I like him but it seems that the Ducks are replacing him with Djoos and Curran

Odd take. Based on the number of non waiver exempt D ahead of him, 22 year old Mahura was almost surely ticketed to start the year in the AHL regardless of this move.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
This is a two year contract. I wonder if Bob is seeking to shore up the defense in year 2 if a defenseman is taken by Seattle in the expansion draft. Further, if Curran meets the number of games played standard this gives the Ducks another defenseman to expose to the expansion draft, since he is under contract for another year.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Offensively, he likes taking sharp angled shots and making them and he's got more creativity on a breakaway than many of our forwards. This means we have another threat on the shootout, if we do go to a shootout. Huh... pretty dangerous in OT too if he's on the ice. Hmmm... Lots of good potential, i just don't know much about his defense.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
My memory of Kodie Curran in his brief time playing AHL/ECHL hockey for us is that I have literally no memory, other than I always spelled his name Cody Kurran.

Really though, cool story if he makes it, and I do hope he works out.

Reactions: Yemeth

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Soo...
Lindholm
Fowler
Djoos
Curran
Guhle
Larsson
Mahura
Benoit
Lacombe
Thrun

Vs

Manson
Gudbranson
Andersson

Definetly need to find some RHD depth in the draft

Reactions: Leonardo87

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I think Curran can play the right side, but we will see. Right now:

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Gudbranson
Djoos-Curran/Hank

Lots of competition for spots, and I just don't see where Larsson fits right now.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I think Curran can play the right side, but we will see. Right now:

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Gudbranson
Djoos-Curran/Hank

Lots of competition for spots, and I just don't see where Larsson fits right now.
What if they traded Fowler ? he's the oldest of the teams top paid Dmen.
And end up with both Stutzle and Sanderson in the draft.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I have a feeling Curran starts out in SD. His contract is big enough to where he will probably clear waivers, whereas Guhle and Larsson may not.

Yeah as of now I picture one of Hakanpaa or Curran being sent down to start the year if everyone is healthy, perhaps even both. Waiving one of them would have to be seen as the better asset management move compared to Larsson or Guhle.

Lindholm, Fowler, Manson, Gubranson, Djoos and then two out of Larsson/Guhle/Hakanpaa/Curran.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
What if they traded Fowler ? he's the oldest of the teams top paid Dmen.
And end up with both Stutzle and Sanderson in the draft.

Fowler is the only proven NHL D we have under contract beyond 2021-22. He's one of only two D who have any business being asked to lead one of our top 2 pairings. We already have a bottom five team, I don't see why we would aspire to be worse.
Further gutting the D seems like a great way to run Gibby out of town or into the ground.

Reactions: Hey234 and Paul4587

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
Yeah, I don't think Lindholm can handle 35+ minutes a night. Trading Fowler only really makes sense if we trade Lindholm as well, and go with a scorched earth style rebuild. I'm not a fan of that route, not to mention Gibson will absolutely check out on us and go play elsewhere. I'm not 100% against trading Fowler, or Lindholm for that matter, if GMBM gets the right offer, as I don't consider anyone outside of Getzlaf (he's earned it) and Gibson (he might win a Vezina) to be untouchable. But it has to be the right offer.

DuckTech

In vino veritas
Jul 7, 2011
Rural Orange County
Yeah, I don't think Lindholm can handle 35+ minutes a night. Trading Fowler only really makes sense if we trade Lindholm as well, and go with a scorched earth style rebuild. I'm not a fan of that route, not to mention Gibson will absolutely check out on us and go play elsewhere. I'm not 100% against trading Fowler, or Lindholm for that matter, if GMBM gets the right offer, as I don't consider anyone outside of Getzlaf (he's earned it) and Gibson (he might win a Vezina) to be untouchable. But it has to be the right offer.

Semi-off topic but I appreciates your avatar -

giphy.gif

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Trading Fowler turns our D from being below average to a disaster. Especially when Lindholm inevitably gets injured.
I`d argue that Fowler, Lindholm, Manson and Gudbranson is at least an average top-4. Djoos, Guhle, others we might sign will make for just fine 3d pair.
Our problem lies with the forwards.

But to the point - also no for trading Fowler. Would not make sense.

Reactions: Masch78

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Not exactly the right thread for this, but I would only trade Cam if it is for overpayment.

The Ducks have no reason to trade him. His NTC is very limiting and the return will suffer because of it. He is our only defensemen signed longterm. He is paid reasonably. We would be looking for a guy just like him as soon as we trade him.

Reactions: Kalv

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, Fowler was on his way to having his best season, then all the hell broke lose. Trading Fowler would make this team even worse on D, and you need to solidify your back line and grow as a team not blow it up and then hope something sticks. I feel the kids would be able to produce more, with a better PP and stronger D behind them, can take more risks.

Looking back at this season, how long did we have a fully healthy D, or only one Top 4D missing, fairly healthy? Not very long, maybe like 10 games , even if that?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Yeah, Fowler was on his way to having his best season, then all the hell broke lose. Trading Fowler would make this team even worse on D, and you need to solidify your back line and grow as a team not blow it up and then hope something sticks. I feel the kids would be able to produce more, with a better PP and stronger D behind them, can take more risks.

Looking back at this season, how long did we have a fully healthy D, or only one Top 4D missing, fairly healthy? Not very long, maybe like 10 games , even if that?

The team played 60 games after Gudbranson was acquired, I'd be surprised if we had all four of him, Lindholm, Fowler and Manson in the lineup at the same time for even half of those.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I have a feeling Curran starts out in SD. His contract is big enough to where he will probably clear waivers, whereas Guhle and Larsson may not.
If there was any sort of bidding war for curran, and him getting two years and a one way deal would say to me that more than we were interested, then I doubt they would expose him without him playing in some NHL games first.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->