Ducks sign Hobey Baker Finalist G David McKee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=160746&hubname=nhl

The Anaheim Mighty Ducks dipped into the U.S. college system for their latest signing.

TSN has learned the Ducks have signed highly coveted Cornell University goalie and Hobey Baker finalist David McKee.

In 35 games this year, McKee has 22 wins with a 2.08 GAA and a.910 save percentage with three shutouts.

Can anyone provide a scouting report? This guy sounds pretty good. :D

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
I do not mean to downgrade the signing, since I have not had the luxury of seeing McKee play, but if I was a smart organization, I'd try to build my minor league full of winners as well, simply to get the feeling in my McKee in his venture to play professional hockey.

Randall Graves*

TransportedUpstater said:
I would provide you with a scouting report, but I just hate your team right now... :madfire: :propeller :cry:
Does that mean he's good?:)

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. There where rumors all year that Mckee was gonna bolt at year's end, I just chose not to believe them. This leaves us with an incoming freshman (Ben Scrivens) and guy who left the team two years ago to play in the USHL (Troy Davenport.) The situation between the pipes at lynah next year (assuming there is a lynah to play in next year) is gonna be shakey at best.

As for McKee himself, he had an inconsistent year. There where nights when he was dominant (see the regional vs. wisco) and there where nights when he clearly let in some soft ones. I wasn't on the Hill last year when he was a hobey hat trick finalist, so I havn't seen as much of the dominant Mckee as other have. That being said, I always felt confident with McKee in net. There can be no denying that he was a very good college goaltender. At the same time you have to consider that he's not that young. I believe he's 24 now, so the learning curve is probably slowing down rather than speeding up. My guess is that he could become a good backup in the NHL, but he probably doesn't have the abliity to be a #1 on that level.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
He's just turned 22 actually. Old by HF standards :) but not that old.

I do wonder why he went undrafted though, right after David LeNeveu. Its not like scouts dont know Cornell.

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
Stars were interested )he is from Irving near dallas)but he thought he could play quicker at ANA as Dallas will likely bring Stephan over to team with Ellis or Smith. Great for Dallas area hockey but not sure what he will do as apro

CH Wizard

I've had the chance to see Mckee twice. He has solid positioning and his lateral moves are good too...his glove needs a bit of work from what I've seen. I wouldn't put too much into his stats (they're really solid) cause Cornell has had the best defence in the nation since like 2,3 years. Portland isn't a bad team....I wish him good luck.

X-SHARKIE

McKee was fantastic against Wisconsin up in Greenbay a weekend ago. Cornell plays a great system in front of him though that is very defensive oriented so he has had that luxary to work with.

Very mechanically sound goaltender who when he is on his game makes things look easy. His legs are his best asset, very quick and strong.

I'm surprised he left early though.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
McKee was fantastic against Wisconsin up in Greenbay a weekend ago. Cornell plays a great system in front of him though that is very defensive oriented so he has had that luxary to work with.

Very mechanically sound goaltender who when he is on his game makes things look easy. His legs are his best asset, very quick and strong.

I'm surprised he left early though.

There have been rumors all year (and it explains why schaefer actively recruited two goaltenders), so it's that much of a suprise. However, i did think that he would want to come back for one more year after having such an inconsistent season. It actually would have made more sense for him to leave after his sophmore season.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
Gwyddbwyll said:
He's just turned 22 actually. Old by HF standards :) but not that old.

I do wonder why he went undrafted though, right after David LeNeveu. Its not like scouts dont know Cornell.

I think he's an 83, though that still wouldn't make him 24 (ok, so i exagerated a bit.)

He wasn't drafted because he was playing in the NAHL durring his draft year, a league that doesn't get alot of attention from NHL scouts.

He's a classic late bloomer.

Randall Graves*

he should benefit working with Francois Allaire who is one of the more respected goalie coaches in the league..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->