Player Discussion Cutter Gauthier

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

The text makes it sound like he did something amazing in live play. He did a drill that ended with him scoring.
I wish I had beat writers reporting every time I returned an email with tweets that read like this:

"Heck of a move by Gliff. Got an email with 6 minutes left in the day answering a question he has already answered. He not only hit them with a "Per my last email" but he also CCd their manager like a real office vet. The kid is years ahead in his grouchy-office-worker development."
:laugh:

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Gauthier says he was picked up at the airport by Kevin Bieksa. Apparently they had met each other before, but I thought that was a bit out of left field.

Hmmm, that is a bit strange. Bieksa doesn't have any official role with the Ducks eh? I wonder if he's a family friend or connected that way somehow.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
At the risk of being a Leo super homer, I thought it was nice that he was especially welcoming to Cutter on his arrival. I've been feeling like Leo already seems really comfortable with the team, so cool to see he's going out of his way to make Cutter feel welcomed.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
At the risk of being a Leo super homer, I thought it was nice that he was especially welcoming to Cutter on his arrival. I've been feeling like Leo already seems really comfortable with the team, so cool to see he's going out of his way to make Cutter feel welcomed.
Carlsson and Zegras already kissing up to him.... they know Gauthier has potential to make use of their play making abilities.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015

That release is so good

The text makes it sound like he did something amazing in live play. He did a drill that ended with him scoring.
I wish I had beat writers reporting every time I returned an email with tweets that read like this:

"Heck of a move by Gliff. Got an email with 6 minutes left in the day answering a question he has already answered. He not only hit them with a "Per my last email" but he also CCd their manager like a real office vet. The kid is years ahead in his grouchy-office-worker development."
:laugh:
lol I was thinking the same thing

Carlsson and Zegras already kissing up to him.... they know Gauthier has potential to make use of their play making abilities.
“Make sure you tell coach we have great chemistry and you want to play on my line”

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_5941.jpeg

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Mod edit
Gauthier says he was picked up at the airport by Kevin Bieksa. Apparently they had met each other before, but I thought that was a bit out of left field.
Juice wasn’t great as a player here, probably was in a position above his skillset, but he still seems like a really great guy overall. This doesn’t surprise me one bit.
f***ing Leo is tall.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Mod edit

Juice wasn’t great as a player here, probably was in a position above his skillset, but he still seems like a really great guy overall. This doesn’t surprise me one bit.

f***ing Leo is tall.

I think he will end up being between 6’4 and 6’5 when he is done growing. Cutter is 6’2 I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The season he was with Getzlaf, was his best season, imo. He scored a lot of goals. Goals for me hold more weight than assists. Issue is he is not relying on his line-mates now, and the hero puck thing doesn't work for him. Leo also needs to get away from that but he has had some success getting past the D and creating chances. When he gets stronger don't mind if he does it if there are no other options available. But hopefully it won't come to that.

Leo is the Ducks future 1C, and I think Cutter was acquired to support him, it's also making me wonder now that Verbeek wants to get a RW for also that reason. Terry is a Top 6 player don't get me wrong but he doesn't gel with a guy who also wants to carry the puck and dangle. But Terry has shown when he was with Getz he can be the goal scorer on a line and dangle less. We need that Terry. This year it's been too inconsistent for him. Still had a good production year but it was very up and down for him.

I want to see next season...

Cutter - Leo - Top 6 UFA/RFA
Zegras - McTavish - Terry
Killorn - Strome - Vatrano

Can always flip guys like Cutter, Z, Killorn, and Terry to find the best chemistry.

Strome should not be in the Top 6 anymore unless there is an injury, which I'm sure we will see those, lol.

When Terry was with Getz, Terry knew who was the boss, the hero. Terry scored more goals because he was on the receiving end of the Getz pass. When Getz retired, Terry developed issues with trusting Z and Mac to get him the puck. Terry's been on hero puck mode since Getz retired.

Last year, it was Z centering Terry more often. Both had over 60 points. Even though Terry had over 60 points, it was Z who lead the team in scoring b/c Terry was playing hero puck. Z had the same amount of goals scored as Terry!

This year, Mac shed his deferring role as a rookie into a scoring role. Mac got 21 points in his first 20 games, scoring 10 goals in the process. This is why Mac and Terry shouldn't be on the same line because both are the goal scorers.

As for the scoring being down for Terry, it's also down for Z. I think Cronin's offense isn't conducive for our finesse players, which also includes Carlsson. Our bash 'em up players like our fourth line and Mac (when healthy) are the ones that seem to fit Cronin's offense well. Cronin's part of the offensive problem.

Terry should actually be with someone who likes to pass like a Carlsson or Z, but Terry needs to relinquish the idea that "he's the man" on the team. Terry needs to accept he's an elite support player, like he was for Getz. Terry is our Zach Hyman, but Terry doesn't realize that is who he is b/c he doesn't want to accept he isn't the heir apparent.

========================
Getting a FA RW or Trading for one

I think if we go this route, then it's going to be replacing Vatrano b/c Vatrano has one year left on his contract. With RW Colangelo signed along with seeing him produce at the AHL (4pts in 4 games) and NHL (1g in 2 games) levels, we probably don't want to block his path to the NHL. If we do sign a top-6 RW, then Colangelo will be in San Diego. And if Colangelo is a scoring machine in San Diego next year, then that could me goodbye to Vatrano.

We don't have any notable, potential top-6 RW's after Colangelo in our system. I'm not sure if Colangelo is a top-6RW either, but it seem likely he could be a RW2.

I don't know if we need to sign a top-6RW this year after seeing Colangelo in the AHL and NHL small samples. I do know he's earned points at both the AHL and NHL level by crashing the net. So if viewing next year as another development year, which we should because we're adding at least three youths full-time in the NHL in LW Cutter, RD Luneau, and LD/RD Zellweger, then might as well add Colangelo to that mix. We can go after a top-6RW in 2025 if neither Vatrano improves his defense or Colangelo doesn't rise to the occasion.

Reactions: 70sSanO

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Watching Gavin Brindley’s first game pisses me off knowing we could’ve got him in the 2nd round. Super fast, skilled, creative, hard worker and 2 way player.

Rd 2
33. LW Nico Myatovic. 6'3 and 187 lbs. Scored 30 goals in his D+0 season in the WHL.
34. RW Gavin Brindley. 5'9 and 168 lbs. Scored 12 goals in his D+0 season in the NCAA.

The 2022 draft class had a height requirement. The smallest person(s) drafted in the 2023 Ducks draft class was 6'0 in C Terrance and D+1 RW Sidorov. I don't think Brindley was ever considered for our pick just like how no vets were ever considered for the Captaincy position for the past two seasons with the Ducks.

Part of the reason the team wanted Myatovic was because he was more known for his defense and the offense came to life in his D+0 season. Defense was the specific reason so Myatovic can be an elite support guy. 2022 late first round pick was C Gaucher, who is also known for his defense and projected to be a 3C in the NHL. Anaheim wasn't looking for top-end, offensive skill with the late first round/early 2nd round picks in the past two drafts.

Brindley was picked up so high because Columbus was scouting Fantilli hard, who was playing at Michigan, where Brindley was also playing. They didn't have any height requirement, but they also weren't focusing on a defensive forward with such a high pick in the 2nd round.

Right now, Brindley looks like a steal. We're gonna have to wait a year or more to see how the kids develop into NHL'ers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad