Confirmed with Link: Ducks Re-Sign Kossila, Roy, and Welinski

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I really see all 3 in the AHL next season. The best chance of NHL time being Kossila since we might actually have a scoring role available but he's going to be competing with Steel for it if Kesler is actually out. Roy will have to have a REALLY good camp to push Ritchie down or out of the lineup. And Welinski is trade bait at this point as BM put 3 low cost NHL players in front of him. Though I suppose he already passed one of them in Holzer last year.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Given how desperate the rest of the league is for RHD, I doubt that Welinski makes it through waivers. I think someone will take a flyer on him. He's also not going to fetch much in trade.

Reactions: Duck Off

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Welinski isnt bad at all. A team would certainly pick him off waivers. I could also see Roy playing in the NHL next year. If his game can take a decent step forward I can see him as a 3rd line winger.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Welinski needs 50 games to be eligible for waivers (according to CapFriendly). Roy needs 35, Kossila needs 49. And they will all be waiver eligible next year regardless of play time this year.

Yeah I looked that up there too but they wouldn't let me see how many games for Welinski, so thanks for that. Nothing to worry about this year and I think they're all Group VI free agents next year anyway. CapFriendly doesn't list as much but I'm pretty sure they all meet the criteria.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
We lose 2 assets every season for no reason, 2 of these 3 will probably be gone for a dumbass reasons as usual.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Welinski needs 50 games to be eligible for waivers (according to CapFriendly). Roy needs 35, Kossila needs 49. And they will all be waiver eligible next year regardless of play time this year.

Wasn't there an age stipulation that made people eligible for waivers? Welinski is 25.

Last edited:

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
It depends on the age the ELC was signed. After that you are eligible for waivers after 3 pro seasons or 60 total NHL games played.

If the FAQ is correct at Cap Friendly, the number of years necessary for a player aged 25 is one year, which he meets. It also states that players aged 25 and older are not subject to the 60 game requirement; that ends at 24. Maybe there's something that's missing, but it reads to me as him being eligible, whereas last year he failed to meet the criteria for a 24 year old.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
If the FAQ is correct at Cap Friendly, the number of years necessary for a player aged 25 is one year, which he meets. It also states that players aged 25 and older are not subject to the 60 game requirement; that ends at 24. Maybe there's something that's missing, but it reads to me as him being eligible, whereas last year he failed to meet the criteria for a 24 year old.
It only matters what age he signed his ELC at I believe, not the contract after. Welinski signed at 23, meaning he has 3 years of exemption from waivers.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
3 older ahl players who really bring little to a nhl team. I them as ahl/injury call ups
I doubt Welinski would get claimed

Roy will be a AHLler imho. Kossila will push for a spot. He was by far the best forward in SD and did it all. Welinski, well, I have soft spot for him and I hope he takes a spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad