Reactions: Sean Garrity
Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
4 Ducks in Pronman's Top 124 Prospect List (Terry and Jones ineligible):
#8 Zegras
#34 Steel
#52 Comtois
#55 Lundestrom

Pronman broke down the list in tiers: special, elite, high-end, very good and legit. Zegras in the elite/high end bubble, Steel in the high-end/very good bubble, Comtois and Lundeström in very good.

From last year's draft he had Hughes, Kakko, Byram, Caufield and Turcotte above Zegras. Interestingly he has Krebs only at 38.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Pronman broke down the list in tiers: special, elite, high-end, very good and legit. Zegras in the elite/high end bubble, Steel in the high-end/very good bubble, Comtois and Lundeström in very good.

From last year's draft he had Hughes, Kakko, Byram, Caufield and Turcotte above Zegras. Interestingly he has Krebs only at 38.
Seems about right at this point tbh.

Regarding of all system rankings - it also is ok, I think. Pretty sure he has Terry as a graduate. I am personally quite confident that Dostal and Tracey will be gems but they have to prove himself.
So the rankings is pretty ok for me. They will always be objective and immeasureable things anyway, but this seems fair.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Dostal made his season debut, stopped 17/20 as Ilves loses 3-1. First goal looked a bit soft (48 seconds into the game), but I'm not sure if Lukas was screened and just didn't see the shot. Second goal he had no chance, it was a deflection from in front of the net. I felt Ilves' defensemen left him out to dry on the third goal, after they coughed up the puck in their own zone.

Ilves is in a curious position -- what was considered a surefire playoff team now has a 0-4 record to start the season, with a league-worst goal differential of 9-16.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Ilves had a back-to-back weekend, Dostal got another start. Ilves lost 3-1, Lukas stopped 18/21.

First goal was off a rebound, Ilves' defenseman left a man wide open in front of the net. Second goal (SHG) came from a breakaway, the opponent's forward managed to fool Lukas on that one. Third goal was a similar looking play as yesterday's first goal against -- looked like a straight shot from between the blue line and the circle, but I'm not sure if Lukas ever saw that one.

5 games, 5 losses for Ilves. This is the worst start the franchise has had in 24 years, when they lost 7 in a row. There are "only" 60 regular season games in Liiga -- if the current trend continues, at which point has Ilves' brass seen enough?

Yesterday's highlights here, today's goals can be seen here. I'm not 100% sure if these are geoblocked or not...

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Things don't look good for Ilves tonight, they're down 5-0 after 20.

Dostal was given the night off, but after Kolppanen let in 3 in the first 5 minutes, he was sent between the pipes instead. IMO Lukas couldn't do much to either of the two goals that followed...

EDIT: Game is now over, result 5-0. Lukas stopped 22/24, including a penalty shot and a couple of breakaway chances...

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
llves a bad team this year ? Maybe his Finn team should trade Dostal to another Finn team so his development isn't hurt playing for a bad team.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
llves a bad team this year ? Maybe his Finn team should trade Dostal to another Finn team so his development isn't hurt playing for a bad team.

A trade isn't an option in the Euro leagues, things work differently over here...

I thought Ilves was supposed to be a good time this year :dunno:

Everyone thought Ilves would be good this year, their roster is impressive on paper. Which makes it even more shocking to see that lineup put up a 1-6 start... :help:

From what I've seen, something is just fundamentally wrong with that team. It makes no sense that they retained all of their top players from last season and were able to add on top of that group via free agency, only to somehow get worse as a result.

Their even strength play is sloppy, their D-zone coverage is atrocious, compete level isn't as high as it should be. The coaching staff has to be sitting on white-hot seats, IMO it's only a matter of time before firings are announced...

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
LaCombe is one of our five incoming college freshmen for this season, and all five should be exciting to watch. Hear Madden talk like that about a pick that surprised everyone is really affirming.

I should also note that we'll have three prospects on the Golden Gophers this year -- freshmen LaCombe and Perbix as well as sophomore McLaughlin. Should be a fun team to watch. :P

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
LaCombe is one of our five incoming college freshmen for this season, and all five should be exciting to watch. Hear Madden talk like that about a pick that surprised everyone is really affirming.

But why does Madden have to say anything? I'm happy he's raving about LaCombe, but Madden and company have already an established drafting record for several seasons. It's okay to be skeptical of the draft picks, but it's also sad that we don't already give Madden and Co the latitude on their selections. The scouting group isn't drafting who players are today, but rather who they will be in the future - mainly because they're often drafting in the 20's. With a top-10 pick, you kinda are picking a player who they are today b/c they've established their high floor with potential for more, which is who Zegras is. Zegras is, by most media and people, believed to be our #1 prospect.

I'll agree with the Ducks drafting players far ahead of their projections often comes as a surprise (but not really b/c I've been desensitized at how often the club drafts off the usual projection boards). Due to their very good scouting record, the surprise picks often makes me wonder why they made their selection as I'm trying to discover their thoughts behind it. The drafts are always a gamble and the Ducks have a high level card counter in their front office. LaCombe isn't the only surprise pick of the 2019 draft. Tracey was drafted in the bottom of the first round with other more well known draft picks on the board. There were so many pundits and fan knocking on Tracey's production as he relied on two other high level players in Tracey's rookie WHL season. The Ducks didn't draft Tracey in isolation, which is a huge omission in thought. Anaheim has a plethora of developing, high skilled forwards ahead of Tracey as well as the selection of center Zegras 9th overall. I see the pair of 2019 first round picks as a set, Zegras the high level passer and Tracey the high level goal scorer. But it's so difficult to open people's eyes that Tracey isn't going to be relied to do it alone as people cite that Tracey produced like 2 points outside of his WHL linemates.

It's just odd.

9th overall, Zegras: A great pick.
29th overall, Tracey: Can't score without his linemates.
39th overall, LaCombe: Only played against lower competition.

Does Madden have to explicitly say aloud why he made the draft selections the way he did to continually defend his selections every year? I thought drafting the player was a statement that the org believed in that prospect already. If Madden didn't already have an established drafting record, then I could understand being skeptical of the draft selection(s). How many more years does Madden need to prove he knows his job well? Again, you can't hit 100% in the draft, but Madden's far above the average curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->