Prospect Info: Ducks Prospect Info 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
If you say so. I'm not arguing it, like I said I haven't been following it at all. Just saying I'm surprised. It's been a long time since we've had an elite forward prospect and frankly I won't believe it until I see for myself.

It definitely helps that he absolutely exploded at the WJCs where everybody was watching. He had a good but not outstanding College season - better than what you would expect from a number 9 overall pick in his D+1 year but nowhere near the level where you would say he was too good for the league.

Having watched him a little bit, his creativity is off the charts. He’s the most offensively creative prospect we’ve ever had with elite hands and passing ability. His explosiveness isn’t a massive strength though and he needs to bulk up quite a bit.

In terms of a comparable to other Ducks prospects I would say he’s a similar level to what Bobby Ryan was when he was coming up. Not the same style but in terms of projecting what role he will play.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I'm more interested in how this writer sees a top-pairing defenseman in Mahura.
He may be overrating Mahura cause of how well Theodore turned out and thinks Mahura ends up with Seattle and the writer probably hopes that happens. So if Mahura hits his ceiling he will be able to say he predicted it.

Or just giving the Ducks prospects the benifet of the doubt since they find so many Dmen.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013

Interesting read. I like stephens half much more though. I am beginning to get the feeling that wheeler doesnt keep up with ducks prospects much after they're drafted. It kind of caught me off guard that he referred to groulx, a two way shooter with size and lacking a bit with speed, as a prototypical (third line) winger, when in the paragraph above stephens refers to him as a center

Reactions: Kalv

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Interesting read. I like stephens half much more though. I am beginning to get the feeling that wheeler doesnt keep up with ducks prospects much after they're drafted. It kind of caught me off guard that he referred to groulx, a two way shooter with size and lacking a bit with speed, as a prototypical (third line) winger, when in the paragraph above stephens refers to him as a center

Pronman is similar. His focus is so draft and WJC based that his NHL team prospect rankings have suffered a bit. He clearly still sees guys once drafted but especially once players are signed to contracts and in the minors/NHL his visibility over their development is poor.

Reactions: Boo Boo

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Some Zegras pron if you want to know why he got ranked #1 overall.

One year later: Zegras - Legorocks99

2020 WJC highlights of Zegras (sniper Kaliyev was on the receiving end of a Zegras pass for a score)

Zegras, Boston Univ highlights

Here's a Madden comment on Zegras on a Draft Primer article:

Q: What kind of progress has Trevor Zegras made?
Madden:
He's serious about this upcoming season, whenever that starts. He's continuing to get stronger. First of all, the transition to college hockey was relatively seamless. After playing on the wing for a good part of his under-18 season, he was able to play college hockey as a No. 1 center at a good program in a good league. He continued to get better away from the puck. His situational awareness is good. It's a matter of him applying himself defensively, and he did that while continuing to produce. That was his challenge last year, and he rose up to meet it. That was the most important part of last year. This summer was dedicated to adding some mass and getting stronger to handle one-on-one battles at the pro level. He's continuing to do that.​

I didn't know that Zegras was their 1C as a freshman, which probably boosted his stock up as well. Zegras could possibly take away the 3C from Steel.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Keep him in the A. There is no reason to bring him up to the NHL unless he forces the issue.

Steel still is young and needs time to prove himself. No reason to give up on Steel in order to force Zegras onto a lottery team.

I was huge on keeping Zegras in the NCAA. Apparently, he met and exceeded the expectations last year for the organization to be signed away from the NCAA. If Zegras is that good to be signed after a year of college, then there must be some interest that he might be able to compete for an NHL roster spot. Anaheim isn't gifting away a roster spot - that was last season. Why doesn't Zegras have the possibility of beating out Steel for an NHL roster spot, in your opinion?

Steel has some promise, but he's still not ready yet and we had no other options to be able to send Steel down to the AHL last year when he hit a plateau. The org sent Terry down at the end of the season and told him he needs to become an offensive driver, but Steel remained in the NHL. Steel has the advantage over Zegras physically because Steel is three years older, but is that enough to keep Zegras' skill down? I'm pulling for Steel, but I can see Zegras take away the 3C position. We need both to develop, but I'll have a great sigh of relief seeing Zegras succeed this year at the NHL level. I think every Duck fan will too. Please note that I'm talking about the 3C position, not 1C nor 2C.

We've rushed Steel and Lundestrom a bit and it's reflected in their play as well as development. It's also unfair to judge their talents because they're being pushed up too soon, but we desperately needed centers. Having Zegras fall to us in 2019 draft was a blessing! The Ducks need their centers to develop, but at least now there's competition for that singular NHL spot between Zegras and Steel with Lundestrom possibly a year away. Whoever wins the starting spot, then we fans will benefit from it.

Why are you afraid of competition?

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I was huge on keeping Zegras in the NCAA. Apparently, he met and exceeded the expectations last year for the organization to be signed away from the NCAA. If Zegras is that good to be signed after a year of college, then there must be some interest that he might be able to compete for an NHL roster spot. Anaheim isn't gifting away a roster spot - that was last season. Why doesn't Zegras have the possibility of beating out Steel for an NHL roster spot, in your opinion?

Steel has some promise, but he's still not ready yet and we had no other options to be able to send Steel down to the AHL last year when he hit a plateau. The org sent Terry down at the end of the season and told him he needs to become an offensive driver, but Steel remained in the NHL. Steel has the advantage over Zegras physically because Steel is three years older, but is that enough to keep Zegras' skill down? I'm pulling for Steel, but I can see Zegras take away the 3C position. We need both to develop, but I'll have a great sigh of relief seeing Zegras succeed this year at the NHL level. I think every Duck fan will too. Please note that I'm talking about the 3C position, not 1C nor 2C.

We've rushed Steel and Lundestrom a bit and it's reflected in their play as well as development. It's also unfair to judge their talents because they're being pushed up too soon, but we desperately needed centers. Having Zegras fall to us in 2019 draft was a blessing! The Ducks need their centers to develop, but at least now there's competition for that singular NHL spot between Zegras and Steel with Lundestrom possibly a year away. Whoever wins the starting spot, then we fans will benefit from it.

Why are you afraid of competition?

You just said they rushed Lundy and Steel and you want to make that same mistake again with Z...

He has no business being rushed at all. He still has room to physically mature and another year at #1 center won’t hurt.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Steels D+1 season was actually far more impactful than Zegras’s was. At the same age you could make the argument Steel was further ahead in his development (even if he doesn’t have close to the same level of talent). Hopefully they bring Zegras along slow. The extra break may be all he needs to add some additional strength and come in ready for the NHL right away but if it isn’t I hope they send him to the AHL.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Steels D+1 season was actually far more impactful than Zegras’s was. At the same age you could make the argument Steel was further ahead in his development (even if he doesn’t have close to the same level of talent). Hopefully they bring Zegras along slow. The extra break may be all he needs to add some additional strength and come in ready for the NHL right away but if it isn’t I hope they send him to the AHL.
I think if zegras was in the CHL he would have dominated as much as steel did, to be honest. Tough to compare their seasons when the competition level was so much different.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I think if zegras was in the CHL he would have dominated as much as steel did, to be honest. Tough to compare their seasons when the competition level was so much different.

It’s hard to say as you said the competition levels are vastly different. Generally though, 2 points per game at the WHL level translates to more immediate production in the pros than a point per game at the College level.

What I’m trying to say is basically that Steel, as impressive as he was in juniors came in and struggled at the NHL level when he was much older than Zegras is now and now Zegras is being pencilled in by some as taking that spot from Steel. It may happen but there’s as much chance we see Steel take big strides over this break and cement himself in that third C spot than there is Zegras taking it from him. While Zegras has significantly higher upside, Steel is more seasoned and has already proven he can survive defensively playing C at the NHL level.

For me if Zegras makes it next year I think it’s more likely to be at wing. Unless Henrique shifts over to the left but we haven’t seen the coaching staff utilize him much at wing since he came here.

Reactions: Duck Off and Kalv

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
It’s hard to say as you said the competition levels are vastly different. Generally though, 2 points per game at the WHL level translates to more immediate production in the pros than a point per game at the College level.

What I’m trying to say is basically that Steel, as impressive as he was in juniors came in and struggled at the NHL level when he was much older than Zegras is now and now Zegras is being pencilled in by some as taking that spot from Steel. It may happen but there’s as much chance we see Steel take big strides over this break and cement himself in that third C spot than there is Zegras taking it from him. While Zegras has significantly higher upside, Steel is more seasoned and has already proven he can survive defensively playing C at the NHL level.

For me if Zegras makes it next year I think it’s more likely to be at wing. Unless Henrique shifts over to the left but we haven’t seen the coaching staff utilize him much at wing since he came here.
No, I don't think zegras should be penciled into anything, but I would be somewhat surprised if his first taste in the NHL isn't more dynamic than Steel's has been.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Steel's D+1 and his 22 game stint with the Ducks got me hyped for the 2019-20 season. Steel needed to be a sheltered 3C, but it didn't work out because we had to rely on him to do more. Sam probably got overwhelmed and/or holding onto his stick too much (missed several potential goals). Steel needed to be sent down to get a breather, but we had no one to replace him of similar ilk talent at the NHL level.

I'd want competition between Steel and Zegras. Steel has more NHL experience, but Zegras' talent is just scary good. Zegras still possesses a 9-game stint before initiating his ELC. This is good for the Ducks. If Steel struggles, then Zegras is available. This is good and bad. Good because we have another option beyond Steel. Bad because if Zegras is a lateral move because he's still learning how to play against men, then we might be stifling his progression. That aspect is why I wanted Zegras to stay in the NCAA so the Ducks aren't tempted to use him too early.

If Zegras is ready, then we shouldn't hold him back from competition with Steel. According to Madden, Zegras adapted seamlessly between junior to the NCAA and do it as a #1 center. If we can keep our 3rd line (centered by either Steel or Zegras) to playing against the opposing team's 3rd/4th line, then we can cultivate the young center better. It's gonna be very interesting to see Zegras in the preseason!

DuckTech

In vino veritas
Jul 7, 2011
Rural Orange County
Steel's D+1 and his 22 game stint with the Ducks got me hyped for the 2019-20 season. Steel needed to be a sheltered 3C, but it didn't work out because we had to rely on him to do more. Sam probably got overwhelmed and/or holding onto his stick too much (missed several potential goals). Steel needed to be sent down to get a breather, but we had no one to replace him of similar ilk talent at the NHL level.

I'd want competition between Steel and Zegras. Steel has more NHL experience, but Zegras' talent is just scary good. Zegras still possesses a 9-game stint before initiating his ELC. This is good for the Ducks. If Steel struggles, then Zegras is available. This is good and bad. Good because we have another option beyond Steel. Bad because if Zegras is a lateral move because he's still learning how to play against men, then we might be stifling his progression. That aspect is why I wanted Zegras to stay in the NCAA so the Ducks aren't tempted to use him too early.

If Zegras is ready, then we shouldn't hold him back from competition with Steel. According to Madden, Zegras adapted seamlessly between junior to the NCAA and do it as a #1 center. If we can keep our 3rd line (centered by either Steel or Zegras) to playing against the opposing team's 3rd/4th line, then we can cultivate the young center better. It's gonna be very interesting to see Zegras in the preseason!
I thought the 9 day was if they went back to juniors. He is NHL/AHL only now I believe since he left NCAA.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Why do the ducks suck every bit of creativity from our forward prospects. Steel was super creative and now is basically a dump and chase grinder... Same with rakell he used to have creativity and try things with the puck that is gone. It's like all our forwards are so scared to make a mistake that they don't wanna try anything risky that's not a good way to develop prospects that's why we have so many vanilla players and can't develop forwards to save our lives. Hopefully terry keeps playing the way he does even if it leads to some turnovers we need development and skill and pace and lane drivers. If zegras comes and they make him play the same way steel plays I'm over this team f***in grind city. We are great at drafting and not very good at developing, even when you look at players like Fowler he could have been so much better. I wish we hired travis green instead of Carlyle things would be different.

Reactions: Dmang714

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I thought the 9 day was if they went back to juniors. He is NHL/AHL only now I believe since he left NCAA.

From capfriendly : "If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year."

DuckTech

In vino veritas
Jul 7, 2011
Rural Orange County
From capfriendly : "If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year."
I thought the slide stuff is for players who sign a contract but can return to the CHL or Europe. Once a player from NCAA signs a contract they can not return to the NCAA and are just on their ELC. I guess it could slide if he goes over seas to play. Otherwise he will spend the coming season on the 1st year of his ELC. Maybe I have this all wrong, other want to weigh in?

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Why do the ducks suck every bit of creativity from our forward prospects. Steel was super creative and now is basically a dump and chase grinder... Same with rakell he used to have creativity and try things with the puck that is gone. It's like all our forwards are so scared to make a mistake that they don't wanna try anything risky that's not a good way to develop prospects that's why we have so many vanilla players and can't develop forwards to save our lives. Hopefully terry keeps playing the way he does even if it leads to some turnovers we need development and skill and pace and lane drivers. If zegras comes and they make him play the same way steel plays I'm over this team f***in grind city. We are great at drafting and not very good at developing, even when you look at players like Fowler he could have been so much better. I wish we hired travis green instead of Carlyle things would be different.
Rakell had his best year under Carlyle. Kase had his best year under Carlyle. Fowler had his best year under Carlyle.

Coaching wise - I can agree Green was a better choice. But we would likely not get to the ECF in 2017. And we would not have the team that Travis has right now - this is for certain.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I thought the slide stuff is for players who sign a contract but can return to the CHL or Europe. Once a player from NCAA signs a contract they can not return to the NCAA and are just on their ELC. I guess it could slide if he goes over seas to play. Otherwise he will spend the coming season on the 1st year of his ELC. Maybe I have this all wrong, other want to weigh in?

If Zegras signs with a CHL team, then he stays with that CHL team unless his NHL club wants him to play for them. There's a transfer agreement between the CHL and NHL that an under 20-year old prospect cannot play for the AHL club and must be sent back to his junior team, regardless the number of games the prospect plays. Last year, we kept Tracey with our NHL club, though he never played a game. The NHL club kept him because Tracey had an injury issue and the Club wanted him to have NHL level type medical attention. Once healthy, Tracey was sent back to his junior team. Comtois played 10 games in 2018-19, which terminated his slide rule, but returned to his junior team.

If Zegras signed with a European team, then he is at behest of the NHL club as there's no CHL-like agreement between the NHL and European teams. A prospect can play two AHL seasons and have his contract slide as long as he doesn't play 10 NHL games. That's why Lundestrom stayed here with the AHL club for the past two season instead of immediately being returned back to his SHL club. Lundestrom played over 10 games to initiate his ELC and terminate the slide rule. Here's an article on slide rule with examples: link

Zegras committed to the NCAA. There's a rule with the NCAA that if a player signs a professional contract, then they cannot play under the NCAA banner because they're no longer an amateur player. Thus, Zegras' future with the Ducks is either at the AHL or NHL level once he signs that professional contract with the Ducks. Capfriendly denotes that AHL games do not count. Thus, this falls similarly to the the European scenario.

The key to terminating the slide rule is playing 10 games in NHL as an 18 or 19-year old. That's it. If Zegras plays under 10 NHL games this coming season, then the slide rule applies.

(I refrained from giving a long response initially when I shared Capfriendly's summation with, "AHL games do not count.")

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

My guess is that creativity can't be fostered if they're often exposed. Back when we had Perry, Kes, and Eaves playing along with Getz, then our youth were sheltered to be creative. Rakell and Kase were thriving. We gave Ritchie a pass just because. Remove that sheltering and you rein in those riskier plays.

We sent Terry down to the AHL after the TDL because we had other talents up. The additions of Milano and Heinen along with promoting Sherwood up allowed Terry to be sent down. We had nothing for Steel last year.

Our team play improved after the TDL. Maybe Milano and Heinen helped improve the team while playing with Getz to take away some burden so that Rakell can start becoming more creative?

Rakell
2019-20GamesGAPtsPts/Game
Season651527420.65
Last 9 games92570.78
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Rakell didn't find his scoring groove until the 5th game after the TDL, including a 3-assist game.

I believe a strong blueline with good two-way play across the forward lines can help with creative chances with our more talented forwards. Going into this year, we actually have some talented depth at center and blue line. Couldn't say that for the past two seasons.

In 2017-18 season, Rakell scored 34g + 35a = 69 pts in 77 games. Team GF = 235 goals (18th overall) and GA = 216 goals against (4th overall).

Maybe we needed more vanilla players so that Rakell or Steel don't have to be vanilla. Silf and Heinen are vanilla players, such that they're responsible two-way forwards (except Silf is a sniper). Sherwood is a vanilla player too, but not on the same ilk of Silf and Heinen. D Gudz and D Djoos are vanilla players and better options than Larsson and Guhle on the blue line. Gudz allows Fowler to be more aggressive as Gudz plays his complementary role to Fowler. Fowler can't be #1D as he can't match up and needs to be sheltered to be on the 2nd pairing so he can be most effective. D Curran is the offensive defenseman and pairing him up with Djoos could be another good balance.

As for Steel and Terry, they're very good in the AHL, but need an extra gear in the NHL. Steel may have fallen back to dump-and-chase as it's a reliable move for him. Remember, Steel is playing under the same coach he had last year in the AHL where he produced. This is why I think Zegras has a chance of breaking into the NHL. Steel may have been overwhelemed last year and Zegras might be on another level. I have hopes that Steel will improve as years go by like he improved between his draft year and his D+1 year. The jump between AHL and NHL might be bigger than originally thought. It happens. Steel is still young and this extended break from the NHL might benefit him mentally and physically.

The most positive thing to identify is that we're not running back the same team we started off in 2019-20. That's the only concrete silver lining I can share. I think we improved our NHL talent, but that's only my opinion. We need talent to win games. It doesn't have to be superstar talent, just an improvement in talent in a few spots and go from there. That also includes player development. If Milano-Getz-Heinen can take away some burden from Rakell-Rico-Silf, then that's a win. If Heinen continues to play 67 games or more, then that's also a win because sometimes availability is the best ability. If Zegras beats out Steel for 3C, then that's also a win. Djoos on the 3rd pairing is already a win! Curran could be that PP fire starter.

We were 11 points away from a traditional playoff spot last season, 29-33-9. That's six wins or four wins and convert four OTL into wins. Did we do enough to win six more games or four wins and convert four OTLs into wins? We were involved in 18 1-loss games last year. Maybe we need a little tweak to be playoff contenders (not Cup contenders outright). We went 5-3-1 after the TDL while missing our top-3 for most of it and beating playoff teams. Small sample, but we could have easily tanked too. Did we improve our talent or did was just play better as a team? Maybe both? I'm not expecting to be a dynamic team. Just a solid two-way team and an improved PP unit. Boring, yes, but it's a step in the right direction of developing a culture of winning. Look at the Stars this year. They're us from 2017-18.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

You don't know that. I swear reading your posts is always negative about something or someone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad