Prospect Info: Ducks Prospect Info ‘21-22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
That prospect tournament is in middle of September though, there is no reason to wait that long.

Will there be a prospect camp like there usually used to be one after the drafts? I guess not.

iirc, there is one, but it'll be before the rookie tourney. Only problem is that our NCAA prospects cannot participate b/c school would have already started.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
21068994-05C7-48F0-AF3F-2CD22E99B227.jpeg

One of the lowest rankings I have seen of the prospect pool, it is important to know that the guy who made this does not count Zegras and Drysdale as prospects. Still the order of the ranking and omission of Groulx and Thrun is curious

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
View attachment 459022
One of the lowest rankings I have seen of the prospect pool, it is important to know that the guy who made this does not count Zegras and Drysdale as prospects. Still the order of the ranking and omission of Groulx and Thrun is curious

Which media is this? Link, please. Why exactly are Zegras and Drysdale not included? Why aren't Thrun, Moore, Groulx, or Andersson not included? Is it because they crossed the 10-NHL game threshold? But that doesn't mean much from an NHL standpoint because they're still eligible for the Calder next season.

I'm with everyone above here identifying that list doesn't make sense.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
View attachment 459022
Even without Zegs/Drysdale, that's not really that accurate.

Also I wouldn't take the 10th place ranking that seriously either if you're removing 2 elite prospects lol. remove each team's top prospect or two, and I bet we're still top 5. even as distorted as this list is, 10th ain't bad.

GunnarStahl

Oct 13, 2020
Which media is this? Link, please. Why exactly are Zegras and Drysdale not included? Why aren't Thrun, Moore, Groulx, or Andersson not included? Is it because they crossed the 10-NHL game threshold? But that doesn't mean much from an NHL standpoint because they're still eligible for the Calder next season.

I'm with everyone above here identifying that list doesn't make sense.
He’s just a guy who posts NHL news and has a semi large following, he’s no one very official. I just found it noteworthy as that’s the lowest I have seen the talent pool regarded. And yeah Zegras and Drysdale aren't included due to games played, I agree it doesn’t mean much.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

GunnarStahl

Oct 13, 2020
Even without Zegs/Drysdale, that's not really that accurate.

Also I wouldn't take the 10th place ranking that seriously either if you're removing 2 elite prospects lol. remove each team's top prospect or two, and I bet we're still top 5. even as distorted as this list is, 10th ain't bad.
It’s worse when you realize that he actually ranked it 16th, the 10th place refers to where it was ranked last year.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Cool thread on why our draft so good in his model.

Again, I'm a bit perplexed with his explanation that McTavish lost a draft year because he didn't play in the OHL, but praises Guenther and Clarke. Excluding the WJC-18 (where they all played 7 games), Guenther played in 16 games (4 AJHL and 12 WHL), Clarke played in 26 Slovakian games, and McTavish played in 17 NL-B games (13 regular and 4 post-season) in 2020-21 season. I am quite baffled that his model doesn't have any info to translate NL-B games, which is a men's league. McTavish played more games in 2021 than Guenther played, but it's McTavish with the lost draft year.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Both McTavish and Zellweger are about to play in a U-18/U-20 mashup game.

This game is a shootout. Cossa isn't looking great in this game. It's 7-6 at this moment with McTavish 1g, 1a and Zellweger 1a. It feels odd refreshing the page to get new info, if any on the game from Wheeler's twitter feed.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Again, I'm a bit perplexed with his explanation that McTavish lost a draft year because he didn't play in the OHL, but praises Guenther and Clarke. Excluding the WJC-18 (where they all played 7 games), Guenther played in 16 games (4 AJHL and 12 WHL), Clarke played in 26 Slovakian games, and McTavish played in 17 NL-B games (13 regular and 4 post-season) in 2020-21 season. I am quite baffled that his model doesn't have any info to translate NL-B games, which is a men's league. McTavish played more games in 2021 than Guenther played, but it's McTavish with the lost draft year.
Yeah I was scratching my head about the same thing, lol

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Scott Wheeler's Canada WJC camp notes
LHD Olen Zellweger: Zellweger spent much of the camp playing on the right side as a lefty, and I thought he handled it well considering he was also the youngest defenceman invited by the under-20 program. The skating is the skating. He can pick up his stick in his forward stride, but he otherwise flies through the neutral zone to lead rushes and has the ability to spin off pressure and create with his feet. He also played feistier than usual and rose to the challenge against some more advanced players physically, battling for pucks and keeping a lot of plays alive. He flashed a silky first touch, too, regularly catching difficult passes mid-stride into a planned movement or a cross-ice pass.
C Mason McTavish: McTavish was noticeable throughout, with a trio of assists and a pair of goals (including one that showcased his NHL shot). He really wants to use his shot from the faceoff circle on the power play, occasionally to his detriment, but that was my only real criticism with the way he looked. He also showed some impressive soft skill at times too, finding his way through traffic with quick dekes under sticks instead of always looking to play a power game.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Scott Wheeler's Canada WJC camp notes
The last part is why I feel a year (mostly) in juniors would be good for McTavish - keep working on those plays and evolve his feeling on how to utilize his skill most effectively. I don’t really doubt he could handle himself physically in the NHL (while it obviously is a very different animal than NLB) and even use his shot to our advantage at times, but as a defensively responsible player, he’d most likely limit (or even be asked to limit) himself regarding skill plays that he can’t yet consistently pull off at that level. Given what we’ve seen with Steel, who had been given more time in juniors and had more evolved hands by the time he came up and still ended up reduced to a rather limited offensive role, I feel like a season of juniors for him makes sense, unless he absolutely forces himself onto the roster by showing he’s ready without limiting his offensive arsenal.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
"The skating is the skating."

Is skating one of the knocks on Zellweger? If so, I hadn't heard that before.

No. It's actually one of his strengths. You need to read the next sentence for it to have proper context.

The skating is the skating. He can pick up his stick in his forward stride, but he otherwise flies through the neutral zone to lead rushes and has the ability to spin off pressure and create with his feet.

He had one nitpick, picking up his stick in a forward stride. Everything else is gold.

Reactions: LuckyDucky

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The last part is why I feel a year (mostly) in juniors would be good for McTavish - keep working on those plays and evolve his feeling on how to utilize his skill most effectively. I don’t really doubt he could handle himself physically in the NHL (while it obviously is a very different animal than NLB) and even use his shot to our advantage at times, but as a defensively responsible player, he’d most likely limit (or even be asked to limit) himself regarding skill plays that he can’t yet consistently pull off at that level. Given what we’ve seen with Steel, who had been given more time in juniors and had more evolved hands by the time he came up and still ended up reduced to a rather limited offensive role, I feel like a season of juniors for him makes sense, unless he absolutely forces himself onto the roster by showing he’s ready without limiting his offensive arsenal.

Someone on here said that McTavish has a simple game. He makes it look simple b/c his IQ is that high. In a recent video breakdown on YouTube by an Elite Prospects' scout, he reveals in a WJC-18 game that McTavish is always thinking defense first when on offense, and sometimes too much defense in covering for a defenseman - but that's a good thing. The video breakdown shares the quick processing that McTavish already has and his awareness on the ice.

McTavish said that the WJC-18 games were slower and not as physical as the NL-B, which is what allowed him to flourish at the WJC-18s. His improvement occurred away from the OHL. Going to the OHL has two negatives: 1) it's a downgrade from the WJC-18 and 2) the OHL lost a year, which means most of the other players have actually lost a year of development, which is another downgrade of talent with and against. McTavish won't be in the NL-B if he goes overseas, but the NL-A. That's a step more difficult as well as a better stepping stone towards the NHL.

We all hoped that Steel could have been a steal at #30, but he's hit a wall in the NHL. McTavish's game might be more advanced than Steel, whose IQ is failing him and the reason he was demoted to a limited role. The NHL threshold has been the wall that has stumped Steel, Terry, Jones, and Lundy - except Lundy was forced into NHL action his draft year. It's still early, but Zegras and Drysdale have acclimated faster to the NHL game than the four aforementioned. McTavish was able to thrive in the NL-B as an 18-year old, once he got settled in. I don't think many of us are giving McTavish enough credit for what he's accomplished this year without a full season to play within.

Reactions: Getz2noone

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Prospect Tournament Lineup Projection:
-Assuming no NCAA players, and probably no Galimov
-I will assume Zegras and Drsydale are participating, but they could very well not be there

Tracey - Zegras - Perreault
Limoges - Groulx - Kindopp
Golod - McTavish - Printz
Tschigerl - Sundsvik (?) - Badini

Benoit - Drysdale
Zellweger - Andersson
Hinds - Nickl (?)
Drew, Tourigny (tryout)

Dostal
Durny
Eriksson Ek
Alexander