Ducks or Hawks: Who matches up better against the Palat-Johnson-Kucherov line?

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
I think the Ducks are the deepest team left in the playoffs. I love me some Textbook Thompson in Anaheim. That line is precisely what you want imo. Speed, grind, jam, supplemental scoring as well as good PKrs on it. The D in Anaheim is the deepest left as well. Mainly because Tampa is still forced to ice Matt Carle and Andrej Sustr as a tandem with a rookie in Nesterov getting limited minutes.

The Hawks D makes up in Quality what they lack in depth. It's hard to deny that Keith is the best D remaining and Seabrook is criminally underrated because he has to play on the same team as that absolute freak of nature Keith. That said, Tampa does have a freak of nature on D as well. He's absolutely fresher too because he's simply not asked to play the same minutes Keith is. Doesn't have to typically.

As far as talent in the top 6, I take Tampa's Filppula, Stamkos, Palat, Johnson, Kucherov for talent. Next would be Kane, Toews, Saad, Hossa. Experience and pedigree clearly goes to the Hawks above the remaining teams.

Whoever faces Tampa in the Finals, better blitz them quick. The longer Tampa hangs around, the more they learn, the more they will continue to believe and the more likely they'll find a way to win.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Our offense had some trouble against the center trio of Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Glendening, but still got good production. They got through likely Vezina/Hart winner Carey Price and the Canadiens defence. They also frustrated Henrik Lundqvist and the elite Rangers defence. Chicago and Anaheim both have the potential to shut down TKO and Stamkos-Killorn-Filppula, but I'm not concerned about our team scoring.

I'm more worried about keeping the puck out of the net. We have had some shaky games littered throughout the playoffs, and we haven't really played against any elite offensive threats yet (no disrespect to Pacioretty, I'm taking the concussion into account). We haven't been tested against a Getzlaf/Perry/Toews/Kane/Hossa yet. Datsyuk, Pacioretty, and Brassard are probably the best forwards we've had to deal with.

Mike Yanagita*

I am curious why some people think Tampas success vs the Ducks/Hawks during the regular season won't translate in the playoffs? Have both those teams really improved that much with roster changes? Because Tampa has only gotten better since then.

because regular season success is irrelevant in the playoffs?

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Hot, you can say whatever you loike. Last I checked, the government still has not restricted what is or is not said on this page. As for Tampa Bay being the Underdog against either the Ducks or the Black Hawks; they should be fine with that as they have advanced further than any other team in the East. Haters gonna hate regardless of who Tampa Bay plays.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
because regular season success is irrelevant in the playoffs?

You're not adding anything to the conversation at this point. We've heard this all playoffs long. Versus Detroit, Montreal and the Rangers. All teams that were thoroughly dominated in the regular season by the Lightning.

Does regular season success indicate a cake walk for anyone in the playoffs? No.
If you really wanted to say something you'd point out that the time frame in which the Lightning destroyed the Ducks in the regular season was during a time period when the Ducks were playing their worst hockey and the Trade Deadline saw them upgrade their team considerably. Their goaltending has also stabilized greatly since the regular season meetings.

Hawks also got Kane back and have seen their trainwreck goaltending stabilize greatly as well.

Mike Yanagita*

You're not adding anything to the conversation at this point. We've heard this all playoffs long. Versus Detroit, Montreal and the Rangers. All teams that were thoroughly dominated in the regular season by the Lightning.

Does regular season success indicate a cake walk for anyone in the playoffs? No.
If you really wanted to say something you'd point out that the time frame in which the Lightning destroyed the Ducks in the regular season was during a time period when the Ducks were playing their worst hockey and the Trade Deadline saw them upgrade their team considerably. Their goaltending has also stabilized greatly since the regular season meetings.

Hawks also got Kane back and have seen their trainwreck goaltending stabilize greatly as well.

the question was why would anyone expect trends established in the regular season based on a handful of games not to continue in the playoffs. The answer is because one has very little to do with the other. Not sure why this is controversial.

DucksAreCool

Feb 24, 2015
I am a neutral fan but if I was a tampa fan I would be a little ticked off with how arrogant you all are.

Its ridiculous to think this will be a cake walk for any team to beat them. Have you not seen the teams they just beat all in a row? They are rolling and look how good that team is on paper and how obviously explosive they are.

If i had to bet on it id take the Ducks in 7 if they win but if the Hawks win I think Tampa takes it to them. That bottom pair and Oduya against that offense will get exposed much worse than the Ducks have. This tampa team is full of confidence is young, fresh and hungry. Whoever wins this Chicago Anaheim series has gone through a war it takes a toll.
How is saying they are an underdog saying it's a cakewalk? And the way to respond to that is to go the opposite and say that Tampa will absolutely win?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Hawks have certainly earned their status as favourites. They've got the playoff formula down pat and have elite players.

But even they can't match Tampa's top two forward lines. No team in the league can.

eh,

the Johnson line is a hell of a top line. But is it really better than Saad-Toews-Hossa? Very Debatable.

And the Stamkos line is less of a line and more of "which 3rd liner do we plop with Stammer? Callahan-Stamkos-Killorn is no better than Kane-Richards-(Plug) in the playoffs.

Hell over 20 games:

Callahan 1 goal
Stamkos 7 goals
Killorn 7 goals
Filppula 3 goals

for a total of 18 goals in 20 games. Good stuff. But Kane alone is sitting at 10 goals and richards has potted another pair for 12 goals in 16 games. Bickell's been a no-show but still has more goals in the last 58 playoff games than Callahan does in his entire 82 game playoff career.

It really boils down to the Toews line VS the Johnson line - the 2nd lines are a wash and Chicago has a huge edge once you get down to the Teravainen-Vermette-Sharp line, especially if Tampa keeps Stamkos on Filppula's wing.

Last edited:

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
eh,

the Johnson line is a hell of a top line. But is it really better than Saad-Toews-Hossa? Very Debatable.

And the Stamkos line is less of a line and more of "which 3rd liner do we plop with Stammer? Callahan-Stamkos-Killorn is no better than Kane-Richards-(Plug) in the playoffs.

Yes. It is better. This year they have been the best line in the NHL for all 200 feet. Pretty much every quantifiable statistic proves that.

And it's Stamkos-Filppula-Killorn. So let's for the sake of argument Kane and Stamkos cancel out, Filppula is better than Richards and Killorn is no plug.

here come the

Mar 25, 2013

Do you actually think the Lightning thoroughly dominated the Hawks in their 2 games this year? The Hawks nearly ran the Lightning out of the rink in Chicago barring a miraculous Bishop performance. The game in Tampa was their 3rd in 4 without Kane. Either way both results are meaningless, but take a gander at the Hawks lineup in Chicago:

Versteeg-Toews-Kane
Bickell-Richards-Saad
Smith-Kruger-Hossa
Regin-Shaw-Morin

Wouldn't say that's exactly what the Lightning will be seeing if the Hawks happen to win tonight.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Do you actually think the Lightning thoroughly dominated the Hawks in their 2 games this year? The Hawks nearly ran the Lightning out of the rink in Chicago barring a miraculous Bishop performance. The game in Tampa was their 3rd in 4 without Kane. Either way both results are meaningless, but take a gander at the Hawks lineup in Chicago:

Versteeg-Toews-Kane
Bickell-Richards-Saad
Smith-Kruger-Hossa
Regin-Shaw-Morin

Wouldn't say that's exactly what the Lightning will be seeing if the Hawks happen to win tonight.

Did you actually read what you were replying to? Look at the list of teams I listed before the part you bolded. Do you see the Hawks mentioned in that list?

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate

Versteeg-Toews-Kane
Bickell-Richards-Saad
Smith-Kruger-Hossa
Regin-Shaw-Morin

11/11/2014 game 3-2 SO win for the Hawks, was 3 in 4 for the Lightning with the following lineup:

Brewer - Gudas
Garrison - Stralman
Carle - Sustr

Palat - Johnson - Kucherov
Drouin - Stamkos Callahan
Paquette - Filppula - Namestnikov
Brown - Boyle - Morrow

Notice anything about that lineup? 1/3 of that Defense isn't in the organization anymore and Victor Hedman was injured after starting out at Norris Trophy Level for the beginning of the season(broken finger).

The 2/27/2015 meeting (4-0 win for the Bolts) saw the Bolts rested after a 5 game road trip.

Hedman - Stralman
Garrison - Nesterov
Barberio - Sustr

Palat - Johnson - Kucherov
Killorn - Stamkos - Connolly
Drouin - Filppula - Callahan
Brown - Boyle - Paquette

No Matt Carle(bonus for us), Victor Hedman back but Barberio and Nesterov were both in(essentially rookies and offensive D-men).

bolts71*

Really doesn't matter. Hawks or Ducks will pummel the lightning
Is there any stats that clearly defined the reason for your thought, or is it the simpleton thought that tampa doesn't get cold, there for they can not have a good hockey team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->