Ducks' Only 3 Losses Are In OT (Record: 10-3)

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The only real threat to the Ducks is LA. The central is packed and just about everyone in the central is a powerhouse that could contend.

Anaheim was 16-5-0 vs. the Central.

We can pretend the Pacific is the new NW division if you want (I think that's being overplayed here), but they still handled business. Again, you can only play who is put in front of you, so best way to deal with questions is to deal with it handily.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Who cares? Do you really think central team cared enough to take the Ducks seriously? Those games were vacation time from the central.

The real competition for the central is in the central.....

Your argument has become "the Ducks were only the #1 team in the Western Coference the entire year because the Central Division teams didn't take playing the #1 team in the Western Conference seriously during their games"?

Well, I can't argue with you, because I'm not sure how one would go about doing that.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Who cares? Do you really think central team cared enough to take the Ducks seriously? Those games were vacation time from the central.

so, in essence, you're saying that if the wcf was a central team vs central team, it'd probably be tied 2-2 after four games, but because chicago (a central team) doesn't take anaheim srsly and are "on vacation" atm, the series is tied 2-2?

your ideas intrigue me and i wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Central is like vacation time for anahiem too, just because the pacific wasnt as tough as it normally is doesnt mean the in division games were not tough. Central can have the "tougher" division but as of right now the kings are the defending west champs, and Anaheim is battling chicago pretty hard for the next west champs. If any other team was in this WCF vs anahiem from the central, im pretty confident the series would already be over.

scryan

May 1, 2013
Lots of guys reaching for the 'they count the same in OT as regulation' card.

We all know that. We arent talking about changing the NHL rules to award the Ducks a 'loser point' like in the regular season.

The point is the team is so good that their opponents cant beat them in regulation. That is a fact. Whether it fits the Hawks narrative or not.

The team is so good... The series is tied and going to 6 at a minimum. Lets see what happens tonight.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Chicago swept Minny and beat Nashville 4-2. Worst Ducks can do at this point is lose 4-2, exactly what the Central did. Doesn't look like much of a vacation.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
They played some of the weakest teams before the Hawks, but they been pretty impressive this series I'll give them that. Either eay the Kings 2012 run is still more impressive IMO.

I dont think so. Winnipeg was a great team that just ran into a Ducks team exactly like themselves but better. Calgary was a weak team , true enough but they are only going to get better.

Nashville was a cinderella team that drafted 4th and then 14th overall before this run. Its easy to see how they would fall apart but still beat the Hawks twice.

Minnesota made its living off Dubnyk and when he fell apart they were exposed as being a weak team , weaker in my opinion than Winnipeg.

So while Nashville was better than Calgary, its not exactly an apples and oranges path for the Hawks and Ducks.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Irrelevant stat. Ok, it shows mental toughness of our team, never quit up, but still, for me it means nothing if we dont win a cup. :)

I think in some ways it's just a fun stat but as I mentioned earlier I think it's closely related to their regular-season one-goal game record/goal differential, and to me, it says they're a pain in the butt that refuses to go away in a game

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
The team is so good... The series is tied and going to 6 at a minimum. Lets see what happens tonight.

Why is the series tied 2-2 ? Because of two OT games which are coin tosses by historical statistics. No team has a .600 lifetime ot record. Not even close to it.

While this doesnt mean anything on the actual scoreboard, what the Hawks are trying to argue is hypothetically being tied 2-2 while losing the regulation games and being outshot every OT game is some recipe for success and they should hold their head high.

The Ducks on the other hand are saying, yeah we got burned in the OT games but hey, we dont seem to be able to be beaten during the 60 min game.

I would suspect the Ducks have the higher position in terms of confidence. The Hawks cant rely on Duncan Keith playing 50 min per game all series just to eek out an OT game.

It simply will not last.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Your argument has become "the Ducks were only the #1 team in the Western Coference the entire year because the Central Division teams didn't take playing the #1 team in the Western Conference seriously during their games"?

Well, I can't argue with you, because I'm not sure how one would go about doing that.

Give me one reason why a central team would waste their energy on the Ducks?

There is nothing to prove - the playoffs are about proving...

No contender is going to treat a season game against a non-factor like a playoff game.....

The central is worried about the central - not the Ducks

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB

No contender is going to treat a season game against a non-factor like a playoff game.....

standings maybe? 7 central teams finished 12 points or fewer behind anaheim. but if your cool throwing games then playing game 7 on the road, then you do you.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

Here are five.

Winnipeg was 0-1-2 against Anaheim. 3-0 makes them the 3 seed in the Central.
Minnesota was 0-3. 3-0 makes them the 2 seed with home ice.
Chicago was 2-1. 3-0 gives them home ice with the 2 seed. 0-3 puts them as the 8 seed vs Anaheim Round 1.
Nashville was 0-3. 3-0 gives them top seed in the Westrn Conference.
St. Louis was 1-2. 3-0 gives them the top seed in the Western Conference and going to the tiebreaker for the President Trophy.

ALL the games matter.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
The regular season doesn't matter..... the contenders in the central were in no danger of missing the playoffs....

The Ducks got fluff.

if "fluff" means game 7 at home, i will take "fluff" every day of the week and twice on sunday.

so, if i understand you correctly tho, an apt comparison to what you've been rambling on and on about would be that the central = the sec and the pacific = the b1g? anaheim = ohio state and gets to play purdue, illinois, indiana and nebraska every week while chicago = vanderbilt and has to play alabama, auburn, mississippi state and south carolina every week?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

It's cool how you can twist things around to fit your narrative but if the ducks went like 7-11 against the Central you'd probably use it against them.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Ducks were lucky to get the easiest path to the finals IMO. That being said, they have still looked very good and I think will win the cup but they are fortunate they had such an easy run.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
The regular season doesn't matter..... the contenders in the central were in no danger of missing the playoffs....

The Ducks got fluff.

If, by "no danger of missing the playoffs", you mean "Chicago doesn't make the playoffs if they go 0-3 instead of 2-1 vs the Ducks and LA and Calgary win 2 and 1 more games respectively", then yes, they were in no danger of missing the playoffs.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Ducks were lucky to get the easiest path to the finals IMO. That being said, they have still looked very good and I think will win the cup but they are fortunate they had such an easy run.

They were lucky or they earned it? You know if Chicago cared enough they could have had the same path. Anaheim didn't win some kind of lottery to get where they are and everyone knew the format going in. It's like you guys are preemptively laying down the excuses for a scenario where the ducks win the series "well they had an easier road so their win isn't as impressive, they didn't have to work as hard"

If that makes you guys feel better than by all means keep kicking that dead horse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad