TSN: Ducks listening on everyone.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Most are looking at Manson to Toronto...
I'm wondering if there is anything that could work around Ritchie?

We could really use some beef on Tavares/Nylander line.
Manson is not really being very productive- maybe a change would be good but he doesn't look like he is all in right now.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Not sure how the Leafs value Dermott vs Liljegren but I really think the Ducks would insist on the latter being included instead. Losing Manson leaves the Ducks with horrendous RHD depth (only Gudbranson signed past this season), while they already have Lindholm, Fowler, Larsson, Mahura, Guhle, Benoit and breakout college prospect Thrun as LHD.

Perfect balance in that regard isn't necessary, but it's already quite imbalanced as is, without removing the best RHD and adding yet another lefty.
Guhle and Benoit still not ready-

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Love to get Manson but the price would be astronomical(with a + since the Oilers are division rivals)
Rackell would also be a great acquisition

we hear this same dialogue every year.

Theodore (given as a gift to vegas)
Vatanen (moved for a 40ishpt 3C)
Montour (late 1st + B prospect)

I dont think they move manson because the D already is terrible and Gibson deserves better.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Honest question, if the Leafs make a run at Manson...does starting with a future 1st (next season) get the ball rolling? Folks will talk about the Canes deal, but our 1st is top 10 protected...i don't see the Leafs falling that far.

They will want

Kapanen
Liljegren
1st
more

not worth it. I saw a dude suggest it starts with Sandin+

Reactions: Sean Garrity

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Weve discussed that idea before....

some Toronto fans are 100% anti Ritchie fans... and think he is "worthless garbage"... despite pacing around the same point total as aj/kap last year /shrug.

+ duck fans feel the difference between kap/Johnsson isn't much, so your essentially selling low on manson.
Ritchie has never even come close to scoring 20 goals, not even on pace. He's also never put up the numbers kap and johnsson have, only on pace. On pace only holds value if the player has a history of putting up those numbers. So no, Ritchie doesn't hold the same value as the other 2

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Ritchie has never even come close to scoring 20 goals, not even on pace. He's also never put up the numbers kap and johnsson have, only on pace. On pace only holds value if the player has a history of putting up those numbers. So no, Ritchie doesn't hold the same value as the other 2
I agreed with that...

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
we hear this same dialogue every year.

Theodore (given as a gift to vegas)
Vatanen (moved for a 40ishpt 3C)
Montour (late 1st + B prospect)

I dont think they move manson because the D already is terrible and Gibson deserves better.

You never seem to be able to make your points without exaggerating. Theodore wasn't "given as a gift", in return for giving him up, the Ducks got Vegas to draft one of their bad contracts rather than a key player. Vatanen wasn't trade for a 3C, Henrique was a 50 point guy that year, he was consistently a top 6 player for NJ and remains one for the Ducks.

The difference between Montour and Manson - they gave up on Montour becoming a dependable minute muncher. Manson has already been one for multiple years now. They soured on Montour and still got a 1st + B prospect, and by every account (quotes from GMs) they're absolutely in love with Manson.

It's so easy to flip your post around. We hear this same dialogue every year. Leafs can easily acquire Manson for whatever collection of B assets they feel like giving up - oh wait it's been five years now and he's still a Duck.

Last edited:
Reactions: robbieboy3686

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
I agreed with that...
I interpreted what you said as their values are close. Personally, if dubas made a kapanen + liljgren swap for manson + Ritchie, I'd feel hosed. Liljgren is going to be a good defenseman for years to come, as much as I think Manson is a fit for Toronto, you don't give away talent like that for a couple years of a stay at home defenseman

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I interpreted what you said as their values are close. Personally, if dubas made a kapanen + liljgren swap for manson + Ritchie, I'd feel hosed. Liljgren is going to be a good defenseman for years to come, as much as I think Manson is a fit for Toronto, you don't give away talent like that for a couple years of a stay at home defenseman
I dont think the difference is as much as leaf fans would think, kap is prob easily a 1st, aj prob a 2nd and ritchie prob in that 2nd range.

As for manson and liljegren.... thats really the only piece that is intrigueing from anahiem perspective. You dont have a 1st this year, sandin i assume is a no go, robertson prob a no go.

2nd doesnt get it done... kapanen + i suppose might get a conversation started.

Bracco has pretty much 0 value to us, and dermott isnt really attractive for us.

I personally have a hard time seeing a trade made without liljegren... as we have 0 rhd depth

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
I dont think the difference is as much as leaf fans would think, kap is prob easily a 1st, aj prob a 2nd and ritchie prob in that 2nd range.

As for manson and liljegren.... thats really the only piece that is intrigueing from anahiem perspective. You dont have a 1st this year, sandin i assume is a no go, robertson prob a no go.

2nd doesnt get it done... kapanen + i suppose might get a conversation started.

Bracco has pretty much 0 value to us, and dermott isnt really attractive for us.

I personally have a hard time seeing a trade made without liljegren... as we have 0 rhd depth
Is there really an immediate need for a right hand d? I mean, this team should probably tank for another year

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Is there really an immediate need for a right hand d? I mean, this team should probably tank for another year

They aren't tanking now, zero indication that they're trying to be as bad as possible. Paying zero attention to the current and future needs of your team is a really stupid way to operate. Of course they aren't going to just take whatever they can get and will want pieces that fit their needs.

The Ducks have only RHD under contract after next year, and that's Manson. They absolutely need to make a point of building quality RD depth.

Leafs fans have spent years now trying to poach RHDs like Manson from the Ducks, because you've never been able to build proper depth on that side - is it really that difficult to understand that the Ducks want to have proper depth of their own?

The road back to contending doesn't need to be nearly as long as some here seem to think. They are miles ahead of where the Leafs and other teams started from in their builds - due to the quality of goaltending and defense already in place. You start selling off core pieces without paying any mind to who is going to fill their place in the future - that's going to slow the retool down rather than help speed it up.

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
While i agree for the most part, theres also the fact that out of liljegren what else is there for us in toronto?

Already a report that said if manson is moved its because a team paid a lot, and that doesnt mean kapanen.

Bracco has little to no interest for us, dermott is basically a waste for us to get.

I just have trouble finding a trade that works for both sides. Id go as far as saying the teams dont make good trade partners for manson, unless dubas gets desperate

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
While i agree for the most part, theres also the fact that out of liljegren what else is there for us in toronto?

Already a report that said if manson is moved its because a team paid a lot, and that doesnt mean kapanen.

Bracco has little to no interest for us, dermott is basically a waste for us to get.

I just have trouble finding a trade that works for both sides. Id go as far as saying the teams dont make good trade partners for manson, unless dubas gets desperate
I'm not really suggesting a trade, just saying if that's what it takes to get him, the leafs are better off walking away

Reactions: Getz2noone

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
So if Andres Johnnson is a 4th liner then what makes leaf fans think you can get Manson for him???
Both Gunnerson and Stralman played top 4 roles for the majority of their careers. Stralman spent his time is Tampa on the top pairing.

Keep trying son. I am guessing you all ready looked up the Leafs 2nd and 3rd round picks for the last 15 years and realized they were a bunch of 4th liners and 6th/7th defensemen. All 5 of them that have played over 100 games. Hang your hat on Greg McKegg all you want but as I stated the Leafs do very well in the lower rounds. Don't think Dubas didn't take that into account when acquiring those picks in what is expected to be a deep draft.
hey listen buddy I am not pick happy I am just sayin that look at the cupboard is bare not much left, so you keep trading high picks away your future is done, back to the ballard days ouch, they have one kid that has any value in junior that's is Robertson, name me another, your future is already with the parent club not much else and you wanna trade high picks away, the 4th through 7th rounds is a crap shoolt you get lucky once in a while, as far as looking back at past draft just maybe the scouts sucked big time that's the reason they never did anything...

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
I'd give BUF's 2020 2nd (probably ends up being 34th-38th overall) and a B-level prospect for Kase

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
They aren't tanking now, zero indication that they're trying to be as bad as possible. Paying zero attention to the current and future needs of your team is a really stupid way to operate. Of course they aren't going to just take whatever they can get and will want pieces that fit their needs.

The Ducks have only RHD under contract after next year, and that's Manson. They absolutely need to make a point of building quality RD depth.

Leafs fans have spent years now trying to poach RHDs like Manson from the Ducks, because you've never been able to build proper depth on that side - is it really that difficult to understand that the Ducks want to have proper depth of their own?

The road back to contending doesn't need to be nearly as long as some here seem to think. They are miles ahead of where the Leafs and other teams started from in their builds - due to the quality of goaltending and defense already in place. You start selling off core pieces without paying any mind to who is going to fill their place in the future - that's going to slow the retool down rather than help speed it up.

I agree with this point, but would add that you also have to factor in the expansion draft. At this point, the ducks probably protect only 3 d-men, which would be Lindholm, Manson, and Fowler. So anyone they add would, ideally, be exempt from expansion. So to build depth at RHD, you need to either add a young player or add a UFA (Shattenkirk?) that you don't mind losing in expansion. And with a big contract, Shattenkirk probably isn't super attractive to Seattle.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
31 Thoughts: Will NHL players suit up at 2022 Winter Games? - Sportsnet.ca

upload_2020-2-12_11-46-47.png

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Personally I think some of those "key" pieces should be looked at to be moved... maybe not at the deadline(depends on price tho) ... but draft/next deadline.

Making their early 1st round pick in June will give the Ducks a more clear picture of their biggest needs moving forward, because that player is obviously going to be considered a key piece of the puzzle. This especially rings true if Drysdale ends up being the BPA rather than a forward.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
If the Ducks are moving Manson, they have to get a replacement for the system, so a young potential top 4 RHD like Liljegren or Timmins makes for the type of starting point that would actually pique the Ducks interest IMO.

They aren't going completely scorched earth here, but removing Manson leaves the following as the Ducks RHD under contract, for some perspective-

Erik Gudbranson, Korbinian Holzer, Chris Wideman, Jani Hankanpaa, with one prospect (Hunter Drew) currently on an AHL deal.
How many of those RHD listed are on one year deals?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad