Dreger: Ducks interested in Ristolainen?

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
The same fan base that had multiple members spending way too much time on the Ducks board bragging about how they were going to steal Lindholm away with a massive offersheet, also can't understand why we wouldn't we want to move him for a non generational prospect?

Believe it or not, even the most talented of 18 year old Dmen aren't necessarily going to be top 20 in the league right away. Lindholm is there now, still young and improving, and he's a key piece to a team trying to win now. No reason to give that up and take the risk that Dahlin doesn't work out, basically asking us to trade $90 for a chance at 95 or 100.
Again, I agree that you should NOT have interest in trading Lindholm for Dahlin, but your analogy of trading 90 to potentially get 100 doesn’t add up, IMO.

I have heard so many times, and I believe from several different NHL writers or former players, that he is “better than Karlsson at this age”. There are a lot of comparisons made but let’s focus on just that one. If It became true, in points alone, you are doubling your production over Lindholm at MINIMUM. In some seasons you have a PPG defenseman. A POINT PER GAME DEFENSEMAN! If Dahlin is potentially better, and you get a 90 point defender that is strong defensively (and he’s supposed to be), then how is that not in the discussion with McDavid? You’re talking about similar point production from the blueline. What?! That’s crazy to think about.

*takes deep breath*

Ok. It is truly crazy to consider and therefore should not sway your position. It’s unlikely that he is THAT good. But, what if he was? That’s not 90 for the chance at 100. That’s 90 for the chance at 180 at least. That is what has been being shoved down Sabres fans throats and circling around in their daydreams since they were told they are drafting #1. Please excuse our excitement.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Again, I agree that you should NOT have interest in trading Lindholm for Dahlin, but your analogy of trading 90 to potentially get 100 doesn’t add up, IMO.

I have heard so many times, and I believe from several different NHL writers or former players, that he is “better than Karlsson at this age”. There are a lot of comparisons made but let’s focus on just that one. If It became true, in points alone, you are doubling your production over Lindholm at MINIMUM. In some seasons you have a PPG defenseman. A POINT PER GAME DEFENSEMAN! If Dahlin is potentially better, and you get a 90 point defender that is strong defensively (and he’s supposed to be), then how is that not in the discussion with McDavid? You’re talking about similar point production from the blueline. What?! That’s crazy to think about.

*takes deep breath*

Ok. It is truly crazy to consider and therefore should not sway your position. It’s unlikely that he is THAT good. But, what if he was? That’s not 90 for the chance at 100. That’s 90 for the chance at 180 at least. That is what has been being shoved down Sabres fans throats and circling around in their daydreams since they were told they are drafting #1. Please excuse our excitement.

You guys absolutely should be excited, and by no means am I even trying to say he won't reach his potential. But it's no a certainty and given our teams current direction I'd rather keep the sure thing. That doesn't mean I'm saying there's no way the Ducks would regret passing on this hypothetical opportunity. There is definitely a chance that Dahlin ends up better, a good chance even - but Lindholm is good enough that it's just not worth finding out.

Enjoy the night though guys, very exciting times for your franchise.

Oct 18, 2011
The amount of stupid shit said about Lindholm is eye roll inducing it's clear who undrrstands what he does and who doesn't. He's basically a great player on 2/3 of the ice who can also chip in some offense.

I know if barely watches Anaheim play our team is frankly boring but if you watch HL for a few games you'll "get it"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad