Dreger: Ducks interested in Ristolainen?

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Disagree on both points. Dahlin is an excellent prospect but I wouldn't put him in generational territory. Also there are teams attempting to win right now. It's one thing to suggest that you think Dahlin will be better in the long run, but a team in it's current window should prefer the established young top 15 guy.

Classic case of HF overrating prospectus vs established young stars. It's asking an awful lot of Dahlin if you're expecting a top 20 Dman right away.
Lindholm is a solid dman. Dahlin is electrifying and will be a number 1. The Ducks absolutely have the depth on D to make that move and take the risk.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Unless you've spoken with 30 GMs, yours is also just an opinion.
Fact: 31 GM's would take McDavid over Brayden Point

Do we really need to literally poll these guys to be able to claim something as fact? This is a hockey message board not a court of law. Common sense should prevail.

Reactions: Priceless 39

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Lindholm is a solid dman. Dahlin is electrifying and will be a number 1. The Ducks absolutely have the depth on D to make that move and take the risk.
Why would we take that risk?

Id rather trade 1 of our dmen (not named Lindholm) and try to move up for koteniemi if we were going to take a risk.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Do we really need to literally poll these guys to be able to claim something as fact? This is a hockey message board not a court of law. Common sense should prevail.
I do find it amusing people are already comparing dahlin to McDavid.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Ok well that wasn't what I was trying to imply. Then let's try again. 31 teams would take Lindholm over TJ Brodie. I think in the world of sports talk you can call that a fact without having to lawyer up and prove it.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

The part we'll never see eye to eye on is that I just don't Dahlin should be compared to McDavid. If I thought we were talking about a McDavid caliber prospect I would adjust my stance.

All a moot point, neither Dahlin nor Lindholm will be dealt anytime soon, and hopefully Dahlin does turn out to be every bit as good as you're projecting.

imjustzach

May 9, 2018
Ok well that wasn't what I was trying to imply. Then let's try again. 31 teams would take Lindholm over TJ Brodie. I think in the world of sports talk you can call that a fact without having to lawyer up and prove it.

The problem is comparing established NHL players to prospects. You started by comparing a prospect to an established player and then tried to prove a point by comparing 2 pairs of established NHL players.

I don't think anybody is trying to say that Lindholm is better than Dahlin. I would imagine that most people, including Getz2perry , think that Dahlin's potential is indeed higher than Lindholms. But I think what he's trying to say is that if Dahlin potential is 100, its hard to trade an established 95 in hopes that the player actually reaches that potential of 100.

Players turning into a bust or not panning out to their full potential happen all the time. I'm not saying Dahlin is going to be a bust but its always a possibility. (see: N. Yakupov)

imjustzach

May 9, 2018
Wow.. talk about overrating Lindholm here

I'm just using arbitrary numbers but I think it's fair to say that Lindholm is a #1D. Maye I should have said "It's hard to trade an established #1D for a prospect in hopes he becomes a better #1D."

The point is that prospects have an inherent risk of not panning out, whether its just not reaching the full potential or being a complete bust. To completely disregard that as well as things like time needed for development, team fit, and contention windows when valuating players can lead to some very poor results.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
I never said anything about Lindholm being better than the #1 pick, the original post he quoted was
"I prob keep Lindholm even if the 1st overall was on the table"

Didn't say Lindholm was better than the 1st overall... just stated moving Lindholm for the #1 pick doesn't really do much for the team/org... dahlins great and should be a pretty good player in the NHL but hes still got to prove it. Lindholm is already a top notch shutdown dmen. Some people get way too invested in the idea of what a player can become... but forget its not a given. If im Anaheim im perfectly happy with Lindholm and have no interest in moving him... and yes that includes for dahlin. Doesn't mean in think Lindholm is >, just doesn't seem like a good move from Anaheim perspective... maybe if there was a really good center in the draft or something that would change my mind.

giphy.gif

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
McDavid is maybe not the right comparison. However, Dahlin is commonly compared to Nicklas Lidstrom.

I agree with the Anaheim fans that wouldn't trade Hampus Lindholm for the #1 pick. As good as Dahlin could be, its still all speculation.

I am surprised, however, that there appears to be a "lack of hype" surrounding Dahlin by so many. It gives credence to the notion that "if Dahlin was Canadian he would be hyped to McDavid level". As a Sabres fan I am trying to keep some of my emotions in check. Of course I want to believe he is Bobby Orr re-incarnated, but people have failed to live up to expectations before. But, what if Dahlin truly is the next Lidstrom or better? I'm hearing a lot of "he's better than Erik Karlsson at the same age".

It should not change your decision, but it its not just Sabres fans trying to pump up "their guy". Dahlin is legitimately a prospect that could be in the same conversation as Eichel, Matthews or maybe even McDavid.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

In regards to Rasmus RISTOLAINEN, he is still only 23 years old. Two things he has on Lindholm are points and RHD. If he ever has the chance to play on a decent team and figure out his defensive game (having a coach longer than 2 years might help), than he could certainly compete with Lindholm for a position on the top Dmen list. Again, not saying he's better than Lindholm or could get him in a trade, but he should get a hell of a return in the Sabres were stupid enough to get rid of him. They spent all of this time to develop him, they shouldn't cast him away before they can benefit from it.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
McDavid is maybe not the right comparison. However, Dahlin is commonly compared to Nicklas Lidstrom.

I agree with the Anaheim fans that wouldn't trade Hampus Lindholm for the #1 pick. As good as Dahlin could be, its still all speculation.

I am surprised, however, that there appears to be a "lack of hype" surrounding Dahlin by so many. It gives credence to the notion that "if Dahlin was Canadian he would be hyped to McDavid level". As a Sabres fan I am trying to keep some of my emotions in check. Of course I want to believe he is Bobby Orr re-incarnated, but people have failed to live up to expectations before. But, what if Dahlin truly is the next Lidstrom or better? I'm hearing a lot of "he's better than Erik Karlsson at the same age".

It should not change your decision, but it its not just Sabres fans trying to pump up "their guy". Dahlin is legitimately a prospect that could be in the same conversation as Eichel, Matthews or maybe even McDavid.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

In regards to Rasmus RISTOLAINEN, he is still only 23 years old. Two things he has on Lindholm are points and RHD. If he ever has the chance to play on a decent team and figure out his defensive game (having a coach longer than 2 years might help), than he could certainly compete with Lindholm for a position on the top Dmen list. Again, not saying he's better than Lindholm or could get him in a trade, but he should get a hell of a return in the Sabres were stupid enough to get rid of him. They spent all of this time to develop him, they shouldn't cast him away before they can benefit from it.

I like risto and his game a lot... and feel hes been in a bad situation his whole career.... a pairing of Lindholm/risto would be a pretty nasty duo and I think both players would benefit greatly from each other... risto would have a dependable partner, that can let him play free.... while Lindholm would have a player with tons of offensive upside/size to help clear the net and help add to his point totals... I don't have anything bad to say about risto… I don't think we would make the move as it makes very little sense given our top 4 is basically already set.... but its a nice dream ;)

As for dahlin…. like you said its a lot of speculation... and I think hell be good/great but defense is pretty tough to predict, and sometimes takes time to pan out.... hell be a good piece for buffalo no doubt and I think they should keep risto and see how he does with a little help on the blue line.... but from anaheims perspective its gambling for the sake of gambling.

Reactions: Digable5

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Yes #4s can put up 40+ points and play 26 mins a game with ZERO HELP. Don't worry, we are getting the best dmen to come into the league in 40 years, so Risto will go from a "#4" to looking like a stud #2.
:laugh: Better than Bourque, Lidstrom, Chelios, Pronger....you may just want to temper those expectations a tad Champ.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
wait, what? Ducks fans wouldnt trade Lindholm for Dahlin? lol ok

The same fan base that had multiple members spending way too much time on the Ducks board bragging about how they were going to steal Lindholm away with a massive offersheet, also can't understand why we wouldn't we want to move him for a non generational prospect?

Believe it or not, even the most talented of 18 year old Dmen aren't necessarily going to be top 20 in the league right away. Lindholm is there now, still young and improving, and he's a key piece to a team trying to win now. No reason to give that up and take the risk that Dahlin doesn't work out, basically asking us to trade $90 for a chance at 95 or 100.

Reactions: Getz2perry

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
No real idea why the Ducks need or want Risto. I love Risto but the Ducks are pretty set on D no?
The only way/reason it would make sense is if we had another trade set up and 1 of our top 4 dmen were part of the deal... but that doesn't seem logical either way, as our top 4 is very young and very good.... and risto isn't an elite #1 which is really the only way we can improve our defense.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The same fan base that had multiple members spending way too much time on the Ducks board bragging about how they were going to steal Lindholm away with a massive offersheet, also can't understand why we wouldn't we want to move him for a non generational prospect?

Believe it or not, even the most talented of 18 year old Dmen aren't necessarily going to be top 20 in the league right away. Lindholm is there now, still young and improving, and he's a key piece to a team trying to win now. No reason to give that up and take the risk that Dahlin doesn't work out, basically asking us to trade $90 for a chance at 95 or 100.
Offer sheeting Lindholm
ennis +2nd for fowler... they've had a lot of good 1s involving our dmen over the years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->