Dreger: Ducks interested in Ristolainen?

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Surprising, considering we have a good young top 4 and a bigger need up front. I can't see a fit here.

Lindholm is on a different level and isn't going anywhere. Fowler's new extension just kicks in this summer, likewise for Manson who is a more established version of what you'd hope to get from Risto. Montour is hitting RFA at a convenient time where he just shouldn't yet have the leverage to command big money. On top of that we have some very nice D prospects in the pipeline. I see absolutely no reason why Anaheim would be an aggressive bidder here.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. Who wouldn't love to add Riso, but it doesn't make any sense for us to give up prime assets for him when we already have 4 top 4 guys.

The only reason we'd consider it is if we were swamping him and Fowler, which doesn't seem likely. He had a down year, but he's still really important to our team and when Murray mentions his goal is to get faster, you typically don't trade your quickest and best transition defenseman.

Manson + Silf for nylander ;P assuming we got risto already

I'd pass and I love Nylander. We just need more players like Josh, not less.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Oh I agree his job hasn’t been easy, but he performs like a non NHL level guy in his role. I do think he would be fine as a sheltered 4 or 5 though just he is hilariously miscast. He’s not as bad as the numbers suggest but still he’s not in the same stratosphere as Lindholm.

I'm very curious how you've determined Sergachev is the "GOAT" and Ristolainen is a #4

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
sergachev isn't the goat lol that's just my user title

and sergachev blows risto out of the water by corsi

The gap really isn't that big, and probably should be bigger considering Sergachev's sheltered minutes.

Kind of hard for Ristolainen to have good possession stats playing on the worst team in the league against every team's top players. Calling him a #4 is nuts

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
6 teams for Ristolainen
Rangers
Canucks
Oilers
Hurricanes
Avalanche
Wild

7. Buffalo.

Why are they trading him? He's been their best player outside of Eichel, RHD puck movers/point shots are highly coveted and they'll probably immediately be looking for a replacement if they deal him, and they might now FINALLY have a respectable defence. Dahlin slotting everyone down one spot including Risto to #2 makes that back end a lot less ugly. Especially if Guhle or McCabe can play at a top 4 level.

They could even shelter Ristolainen this year if they wanted

Scandella-Dahlin
Guhle-Risto
McCabe-Bogo

Reactions: go4hockey

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
I’d rather see the Sabres keep him, work Dahlin to the top pair eventually, and play along side Risto. Sabres could then use Scandella properly on the 2nd pair LD and find a solid shutdown/PK #4. Top pair can play the 25mins 2nd pair 18-20 and shelter Guhle/Pilat/Mccabe/Bogo whoever on the 3rd pair.

wraparound

May 17, 2014
lol the article referenced used the last tense ‘had’ for the Ducks’ interest in Ristolainen. As in they do not actively have interest. But it’s the week before the draft so everyone’s talking trade rumors & proposals ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I don't want Ristolainen to go to the Ducks. How about a Ristolainen for Trouba hockey swap? Add another Finn to the Jets and another American to Buf!

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
7. Buffalo.

Why are they trading him? He's been their best player outside of Eichel, RHD puck movers/point shots are highly coveted and they'll probably immediately be looking for a replacement if they deal him, and they might now FINALLY have a respectable defence. Dahlin slotting everyone down one spot including Risto to #2 makes that back end a lot less ugly. Especially if Guhle or McCabe can play at a top 4 level.

They could even shelter Ristolainen this year if they wanted

Scandella-Dahlin
Guhle-Risto
McCabe-Bogo
Best player besides Eichel? You’re nuts. I won’t even go into Reinhart I’ll just talk about O’Reilly. Ryan O’Reilly is really damn good. I’ll let Berkshire explain.

Another player who is chronically underrated, Ryan O’Reilly faced the toughest minutes of any centre in the NHL last season and excelled in them. O’Reilly is an incredibly rounded player, boasting a strong playmaking mind coupled with incredible transition skills and defensive instincts. He is nearly as aggressive without the puck as Scheifele, but couples that with almost never making a mistake with the puck relative to his peers, in all three zones.
In transition that rarity for making mistakes with the puck is a big contributor to his game, where he nearly matches Kopitar’s pass success rates relative to his teammates, and makes nearly as many passes as well. O’Reilly can do it all, in every situation, and doesn’t really have a glaring weakness to his game. He’s the kind of player every coach falls in love with, except for maybe Patrick Roy I guess.

bmoc

Sep 2, 2010
Ana
R. Ristolainen
S. Reinhart

Buff
J. Silfverberg
R. Montour
Draft pick

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
The Sabres might be trying to get a defensive core that are all good defensively and that are puck moving defensemen.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Why would the Ducks look to add a defenseman like Risto when they should be spending their assets for help up front. To me this would make no sense for Ana.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
There are few teams that need another top Defensemen less than ANA. There are few teams that need another RHD more than BUF.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Sabres are crazy if they trade him.

Finally after years they could have a strong D-core so why mess it up, to not be good ever?

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Lindholm is a top 15 dman Ristolainen is a #4 who bleeds shot attempts

Yes #4s can put up 40+ points and play 26 mins a game with ZERO HELP. Don't worry, we are getting the best dmen to come into the league in 40 years, so Risto will go from a "#4" to looking like a stud #2.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
I don’t get this. Wouldn’t 30 teams have interest in Ristolainen? Why would he be available? The Sabres aren’t exactly stacked on D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad