Dreger: Ducks interested in Ristolainen?

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
We don't know what Risto is yet but your take is one I see a lot and will continue to refute.

Ristolainen has had literally the hardest minutes in the league on a horrible team since he was like 20. There is not another young D in the league currently who has had such a trial by fire introduction to the NHL. If there is, let's hear it. He has been played like he is an elite world class superstar defensemen while 95%+ of other young D get to ease into the league behind quality vets. He hasn't had a singular role and has had to play Vlasic-type minutes against the oppositions best players while also being leaned on heavily for production because the Sabres had no one else. It's not a total excuse and I'm not going to say he is a #1D or anything like that, but fact is he has been in a situation where many many very good defensemen would be exposed.
Oh I agree his job hasn’t been easy, but he performs like a non NHL level guy in his role. I do think he would be fine as a sheltered 4 or 5 though just he is hilariously miscast. He’s not as bad as the numbers suggest but still he’s not in the same stratosphere as Lindholm.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I wouldn't fault you. Its tough to give up sure things for potential.
I do think Risto would benefit strongly playing along side Lindholm... could you imagine what theyd do for each others games.... hell risto would prob do well with fowler too.

And ya idk Lindholm is a bueat…. and his game grows every season... things I used to criticize him on he seems to focus on... hes getting stronger and smarter by the season... even added a little edge to his game which he lacked his first few seasons. Its a tough sell to move Lindholm for anyone I the league not named McDavid.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Oh I agree his job hasn’t been easy, but he performs like a non NHL level guy in his role. I do think he would be fine as a sheltered 4 or 5 though just he is hilariously miscast. He’s not as bad as the numbers suggest but still he’s not in the same stratosphere as Lindholm.
He's certainly a bit better in the offensive zone than Lindholm, defensively you're right obviously. I guess my point is that there are a lot of young D that we praise who would also perform like a non-NHL level player playing #1 minutes with Josh Gorges on the worst team in the league at 21. If Risto was in Anaheim playing alongside a rock like Josh Manson and with a minute muncher like Fowler ahead of him on the depth chart, then you would see very different results and might not dismiss him as a 4/5 guy.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
The Ducks shouldn't trade for Risto and Buffalo shouldn't trade him (barring overpayment). Again already has a solid top 4 with several prospects to fill the bottom pairing on cheap contracts. They shouldn't spend the assets or money on D. Buffalo needs to add to their D core, not subtract from it.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I think Risto would do well in Anaheim... but a trade doesn't really make sense from Anaheim perspective...

the pieces buffalo likely would want are likely not available(Lindholm/Rakell)… Even if buffalo wanted a futures package... that seems pretty dumb from Anaheim perspective when you look at the roster and our needs.... why pay for a defensemen when we clearly need help up front.

Defensively
Lindholm Manson
Fowler Montour
Larsson/Petterson/Welinski/Mahura
That's pretty good 8 defenders
This was my thought as well, Ducks are one of the last teams i think of for needing defense.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
This is stupid. I have been a little negative towards Risto when people say he is a #1 or Even top pairing D. He is #2-3D right now imo with tons of potential. You dont trade that, you develop him along with Dahlin, Eichel, Reinhart,Middelstadt, Nylander etc. Hedman wasnt exactly great at the start either and look at him now. Risto need to Learn to play defense against top players and it takes time. He hasnt exactly had a great defensive team around him to help him either...

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Huh....i don't hate that....
adding a top defensive winger(that puts in 40-50 points)… and a top notch shutdown dmen that can skate and play with a mean streak(and showed he has a little more offensive upside then people maybe gave him credit for)…. its not a bad move if the idea is trying to win a championship.... but any trade involving nylander is prob a tough 1 to pull the trigger on.

I do think that's a move that makes Toronto a real threat in the east tho. And adding nylander/risto gives anaheims window a chance to reopen.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Don't see how that makes sense for Anaheim they have a solid blue line that is still young. Unless they think they should swap Fowler out for him but I don't see it.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Don't see how that makes sense for Anaheim they have a solid blue line that is still young. Unless they think they should swap Fowler out for him but I don't see it.
I prefer fowler over risto tbh... but I suppose if we added risto and rolled with
I guess if they feel like Larsson/mahura/pettersson are ready this year then maybe potentially try and move fowler but then were just back to having a super young defense again
Lindholm Manson
Larsson Risto
Pettersson Montour?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
adding a top defensive winger(that puts in 40-50 points)… and a top notch shutdown dmen that can skate and play with a mean streak(and showed he has a little more offensive upside then people maybe gave him credit for)…. its not a bad move if the idea is trying to win a championship.... but any trade involving nylander is prob a tough 1 to pull the trigger on.

I do think that's a move that makes Toronto a real threat in the east tho. And adding nylander/risto gives anaheims window a chance to reopen.
if we sign Tavares, i pull the trigger.

Reactions: Getz2perry

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
We don't know what Risto is yet but your take is one I see a lot and will continue to refute.

Ristolainen has had literally the hardest minutes in the league on a horrible team since he was like 20. There is not another young D in the league currently who has had such a trial by fire introduction to the NHL. If there is, let's hear it. He has been played like he is an elite world class superstar defensemen while 95%+ of other young D get to ease into the league behind quality vets. He hasn't had a singular role and has had to play Vlasic-type minutes against the oppositions best players while also being leaned on heavily for production because the Sabres had no one else. It's not a total excuse and I'm not going to say he is a #1D or anything like that, but fact is he has been in a situation where many many very good defensemen would be exposed.

On top of all of that, he's had to deal with massive coaching/management turnover and terrible tank teams.

Unfortunately for Risto, his 1st year in the NHL was Buffalo's infamous 2013 "tank year". So in his 5yr NHL career so far, all he really knows is losing and massive coaching turnover. He was drafted by Darcy Regier in 2013. So in his 5yrs in Buffalo, they've had -

Coaches:
-Ron Rolston
-Ted Nolan
-Dan Bylsma
-Phil Housley

Management/GM:
-Darcy Regier
-Pat Lafontaine (for all of a few months)
-Tim Murray
-Jason Botterill

That's a lot of different coaches and systems and horrible AHL caliber teams. That is not a good way to develop any player (especially the way he's been deployed, as you said). It's not exactly a list of great coaches either, or coaches that have a track record of developing players.

And his best defensive partner in that 5 yrs was Scandella for parts of last year (and Scandella is probably a #4D on a good team, or at best a #3 so that's saying a lot).
He finally gets a decent partner and his numbers get better...

Like you said, we really don't know what Ristolainen is yet.
He needs some stability and a decent team surrounding him. Adding Dahlin this year finally gives Buffalo a decent top 4 and it may not be immediately but it will allow them to finally slot Risto in a proper role as a #2/3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad