Dreger: Ducks interested in Ristolainen?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
“I had heard that Anaheim had interest in Ristolainen. I’d be a little surprised if the Edmonton Oilers didn’t have interest in Ristolainen. You could probably come up with a list of 8 or 10 teams, just again projecting the type of player he’s projecting becoming when he hits full stride as a veteran NHL guy.
“But that’s another deal where Botterill has got to feel real comfortable that he’s on the winning side, otherwise he doesn’t make it.”

Dreger shares trade thoughts on Reinhart and Ristolainen

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Surprising, considering we have a good young top 4 and a bigger need up front. I can't see a fit here.

Lindholm is on a different level and isn't going anywhere. Fowler's new extension just kicks in this summer, likewise for Manson who is a more established version of what you'd hope to get from Risto. Montour is hitting RFA at a convenient time where he just shouldn't yet have the leverage to command big money. On top of that we have some very nice D prospects in the pipeline. I see absolutely no reason why Anaheim would be an aggressive bidder here.

Last edited:
Reactions: McDonald19

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Rakell would be the ask, Anaheim would say no as his contract is incredible. Don't see a 1 for 1 D swap making sense.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
There are several players on Anaheim I'd love to get and would be willing to add to Risto, as I know they probably don't want him

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Id like to see what Risto can do with a reduced role ... its pretty obvious that he's not going to be a #1 dman but still think he can be a beast with a more support.

Guy is turning into an animal.

213lu2a.jpg

Last edited:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Lindholm is a top 15 dman Ristolainen is a #4 who bleeds shot attempts

Im well aware Lindholm is much better than Risto ... but i dont think Lindholm is top 15 and it especially isnt going to be ++++++++ .. thats hyperbole

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Why?

Defense is clearly a huge organizational strength for the Ducks. Why trade for another defensemen when they have a clear need up front?
Maybe to facilitate trading one of their other defenseman for said help? If someone's offering exactly the sort of forward they want for Manson, maybe they see what it costs to bring in Risto as a replacement?

Doesn't seem like something that'd actually happen, but it's the sort of thing you can imagine GM's asking around about and then having bubble up in rumors as "interest."

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think Risto would do well in Anaheim... but a trade doesn't really make sense from Anaheim perspective...

the pieces buffalo likely would want are likely not available(Lindholm/Rakell)… Even if buffalo wanted a futures package... that seems pretty dumb from Anaheim perspective when you look at the roster and our needs.... why pay for a defensemen when we clearly need help up front.

Defensively
Lindholm Manson
Fowler Montour
Larsson/Petterson/Welinski/Mahura
That's pretty good 8 defenders

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Lindholm is a top 15 dman Ristolainen is a #4 who bleeds shot attempts
We don't know what Risto is yet but your take is one I see a lot and will continue to refute.

Ristolainen has had literally the hardest minutes in the league on a horrible team since he was like 20. There is not another young D in the league currently who has had such a trial by fire introduction to the NHL. If there is, let's hear it. He has been played like he is an elite world class superstar defensemen while 95%+ of other young D get to ease into the league behind quality vets. He hasn't had a singular role and has had to play Vlasic-type minutes against the oppositions best players while also being leaned on heavily for production because the Sabres had no one else. It's not a total excuse and I'm not going to say he is a #1D or anything like that, but fact is he has been in a situation where many many very good defensemen would be exposed.

Reactions: MATTHEWSisGretzky

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Im well aware Lindholm is much better than Risto ... but i dont think Lindholm is top 15 and it especially isnt going to be ++++++++ .. thats hyperbole

Id prob keep Lindholm even if the 1st overall was on the table tbh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->