News Article: Ducks Ice complex in Irvine (Orange County Great Park)

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
OC needs more rinks, but is there really a reason to put 4 of them in one area? From the article it sounds like they originally only were planning to build 3 and then it was changed to 4. I wonder if this was from the city or the Samuelis.

If seems to me that it would be better to build more, smaller facilities than a few large ones.

i think they wanted a bigger and more modern "main rink" in OC to replace Anaheim Ice, which for years has been the main rink in OC

the rapid growth of the high school league being the other reason. with so many new players the demand for ice is only growing, and opening this new rink will be HUGE for hockey in OC

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
i think they wanted a bigger and more modern "main rink" in OC to replace Anaheim Ice, which for years has been the main rink in OC

the rapid growth of the high school league being the other reason. with so many new players the demand for ice is only growing, and opening this new rink will be HUGE for hockey in OC
That's kind of my point. I think the high school leagues would prefer more rinks more locally.

But the earlier post about tournaments I'd a good point.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Not always. Unless you're specifically defining long-term as those leases in which the landlord inherits the improvements at the end.

I'm defining ground lease, not long term.

Yes always. A ground lease is defined as where the owner leases the ground, without improvements, and the tenant builds the improvements at its expense. To make these deals work, the leases are almost always long term - at least 30 years but often much longer - so that the tenant has an opportunity to recover its investment over a long time. At the end of the lease, the improvements are owned by the landlord if for no reason other than the fact that the tenant can't move them easily.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Well, if you want to think the Irvine company has no say in a project this big, OK. I'm not saying they dictated any of the terms, but nothing that big happens in that city without them being on board. Those ******** have a hand in everything. Even if it's through the back door.

I didn't say TIC held no sway in Irvine. I was responding to your original comment - patently false - that TIC "made them an offer they couldn't refuse." TIC made no such offer and had no role in this deal (perhaps other than not opposing it). Don't change the subject.

And for the record, TIC is a competitor with the base in most respects - both in selling homes and commercial industrial space. For example, they both competed aggressively to host the new Broadcom campus - and TIC lost that battle.

TIC's certainly has influence at the city, but it has nothing to do with the ducks practice facility.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I didn't say TIC held no sway in Irvine. I was responding to your original comment - patently false - that TIC "made them an offer they couldn't refuse." TIC made no such offer and had no role in this deal (perhaps other than not opposing it). Don't change the subject.

And for the record, TIC is a competitor with the base in most respects - both in selling homes and commercial industrial space. For example, they both competed aggressively to host the new Broadcom campus - and TIC lost that battle.

TIC's certainly has influence at the city, but it has nothing to do with the ducks practice facility.

Lighten up. It was just an expression used to convey their clout in the city. I'm quite aware they are not signatories to the deal. But don't think if they were opposed to the deal they couldn't apply pressure to the city with the clout they have.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
For comparison, here is an arena with 2500 seats.

oswego%20inside%20(600x450).jpg

I think this complex will be fantastic for the hockey in SoCal and the Ducks.

How many seats in Anaheim ice? 1000 IIRC? It`s always packed

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
That's kind of my point. I think the high school leagues would prefer more rinks more locally.

But the earlier post about tournaments I'd a good point.

It's all relative. Kids playing baseball or soccer would consider driving 30 minutes to a game as far, but kids in the area playing hockey are used to driving an hour or 2 for their home ice because of a lack of capacity. This should greatly help capacity and provide kids within a pretty good distance a reasonable option for a home rink. Its also is great for tournaments. You get the benefit of a hub for tournaments while also freeing up capacity at local rinks. Win win.

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
For comparison, here is an arena with 2500 seats.

oswego%20inside%20(600x450).jpg

I think this complex will be fantastic for the hockey in SoCal and the Ducks.

How many seats in Anaheim ice? 1000 IIRC? It`s always packed

I can't find a seating capacity but I would say closer to 500 than 1000. They just have a few rows of wooden bleachers for fans to sit on and it is always too crowded at training camp nowadays. Back in the 90's you used to be able to hang with no one really there. :laugh:

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Won't adding more rinks and having more people playing lower our already sinking tv ratings?��

So great to see the growth of hockey the Ducks are striving to build!!

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
This rink is a great opportunity for UCI to have a D1 (USCHO) hockey team. They're never going to compete with football (do they even have a team?) or basketball with USC and UCLA in the area. Would you guys in the area pay ~$15 to watch the Anteaters take on BC, Minnesota, NoDak, etc?

salsa man

SALSA
Nov 20, 2013
California
This rink is a great opportunity for UCI to have a D1 (USCHO) hockey team. They're never going to compete with football (do they even have a team?) or basketball with USC and UCLA in the area. Would you guys in the area pay ~$15 to watch the Anteaters take on BC, Minnesota, NoDak, etc?

No football team. Long Beach State and CS Fullerton had teams until the 90s.

UCI hockey probably wouldn't be able to charge $15, you can get some secondary market Ducks tickets for that. Also, I doubt UCI would add a D-1 team anytime soon, too much money, unless Samueli pulled a Terry Pegula-Penn State deal. If any SoCal school was to add a D-1 team, it'd be USC... and since USC club hockey already plays at Anaheim Ice, it would make sense for them to put a potential D-1 team at the Irvine complex. Galen couldn't do hockey, and Staples is already too crowded in terms of events.

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
No football team. Long Beach State and CS Fullerton had teams until the 90s.

UCI hockey probably wouldn't be able to charge $15, you can get some secondary market Ducks tickets for that. Also, I doubt UCI would add a D-1 team anytime soon, too much money, unless Samueli pulled a Terry Pegula-Penn State deal. If any SoCal school was to add a D-1 team, it'd be USC... and since USC club hockey already plays at Anaheim Ice, it would make sense for them to put a potential D-1 team at the Irvine complex. Galen couldn't do hockey, and Staples is already too crowded in terms of events.

Thanks for the info! These are the things I'm not privy to being on the other side of the country. If USC & UCLA added teams we could have a good West Coast DI league. Pick off both Alaska teams, Denver, Colorado College, and Arizona State. Though Denver and Colorado College would wreak havoc on that collection of teams until Alaska and the rest got their act together. It's all a pipe dream at this point anyways.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Thanks for the info! These are the things I'm not privy to being on the other side of the country. If USC & UCLA added teams we could have a good West Coast DI league. Pick off both Alaska teams, Denver, Colorado College, and Arizona State. Though Denver and Colorado College would wreak havoc on that collection of teams until Alaska and the rest got their act together. It's all a pipe dream at this point anyways.

Highly doubtful there will be any new D-1 men's teams in any sport, much less hockey, due to Title IX. This is particularly true at USC and UCLA and other schools with football teams. Women's teams could be a possibility for the same reason.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
Highly doubtful there will be any new D-1 men's teams in any sport, much less hockey, due to Title IX. This is particularly true at USC and UCLA and other schools with football teams. Women's teams could be a possibility for the same reason.
and UofAA is about to go under, and I dont know how far behind fairbanks will be.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015

I've heard a usc d1 team has legs and theyalready have the money raised. Maybe they'd add a girls team or softball team to help with title ix.

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I remember when it was only rumors about this project getting built. The design looks awesome and reminds me of Sharks Ice, where they have multiple rinks inside a large facility. Any reports about what the pro shop will be like? Monkey Sports is just around the corner and I imagine they will be very busy because of this new facility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad