GDT: Ducks @ Flam 2:00 pm MT SNET-W

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Pretty sure Doc's on IR for roster flexibility (Gawdin). He was retroactively added there on Feb 13th so I'm pretty sure we'll activate him before the Boston game on the 21st
Milan Lucic considered quitting in November

I wonder if this is part of it. Management and players trying to revive Lucic's love for the game. If Lucic heats up and gets confidence for the play offs, that's an excellent guy to have on your roster.
This... is a disappointing story. Putting my feelings aside for Lucic the player, the fact that two months with Peters nearly destroyed Lucic the person's will to play is incredibly disheartening.

I've long been in Tre's camp and think he's making the best of what he can here, but it feels like every mistake he makes has to be learned from in the toughest way possible. I think he's too trusting of "his guys"

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Turns out that he's on IR because they could put him on IR. The Flames don't play until Friday and it was retroactive to last Thursday.

Mmm all that free cap savings.

Wait, so it's like a pseudo loophole thing kinda like the Tom McCollum thing at the Seattle expansion draft or the re-sign Stone after buyout thing?

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
Milan Lucic considered quitting in November

I wonder if this is part of it. Management and players trying to revive Lucic's love for the game. If Lucic heats up and gets confidence for the play offs, that's an excellent guy to have on your roster.

I know some people want Lucic off the team but I'm really cheering for him. I truly hope he picks it up even more and his name can be found everywhere. I'm a sucker for redemption stories.

Last edited:

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Pretty sure Doc's on IR for roster flexibility (Gawdin). He was retroactively added there on Feb 13th so I'm pretty sure we'll activate him before the Boston game on the 21st

This... is a disappointing story. Putting my feelings aside for Lucic the player, the fact that two months with Peters nearly destroyed Lucic the person's will to play is incredibly disheartening.

I've long been in Tre's camp and think he's making the best of what he can here, but it feels like every mistake he makes has to be learned from in the toughest way possible. I think he's too trusting of "his guys"
I 100% agree with you but to be honest there's a tiny part of me that would have probably died laughing if Lucic retired and we magically got back all that cap space after the Oilers complained about him for years.

That said, I've been... reasonably content with Lucic this season overall. There were a few stretches where he was next to useless but you can say that for just about any player on this team.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I 100% agree with you but to be honest there's a tiny part of me that would have probably died laughing if Lucic retired and we magically got back all that cap space after the Oilers complained about him for years.

That said, I've been... reasonably content with Lucic this season overall. There were a few stretches where he was next to useless but you can say that for just about any player on this team.

I guess that's fair, but the problem with that is that it would be a black mark and an off ice distraction. Players/agents also would probably play hardball forever and point at the fact Lucic was so upset with the situation that he walked away from tens of millions of dollars. That cap space would shrink quickly having to give premiums to get players to come/stay/hardball in contract extensions/negotiations.

Reactions: Drop Shock

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I guess that's fair, but the problem with that is that it would be a black mark and an off ice distraction.

Seems like much ado about nothing. Will L.A. have trouble signing someone because Kovalchuk didn't work out? I doubt it. Now L.A. might have trouble signing someone because they're a bad team, but that's a given.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I don't care how well Lucic is playing right now. He's not worth the $5m the Flames are paying him.
I would have danced a jig if he retired.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Seems like much ado about nothing. Will L.A. have trouble signing someone because Kovalchuk didn't work out? I doubt it. Now L.A. might have trouble signing someone because they're a bad team, but that's a given.
There's a pretty big difference between giving a player a chance somewhere else by buying out their contract, and forcing a player into retirement.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
There's a pretty big difference between giving a player a chance somewhere else by buying out their contract, and forcing a player into retirement.

I don't think the Flames ever "forced" the player into retirement either way. If he retired it would have been his choice because he was no longer enjoying the game, and that goes back before he ever played in Calgary because he was losing his passion in his previous stop too.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I don't think the Flames ever "forced" the player into retirement either way. If he retired it would have been his choice because he was no longer enjoying the game, and that goes back before he ever played in Calgary because he was losing his passion in his previous stop too.

The Flames would have won the trade BIG if Lucic retired. He is way overpaid /underperformed. His retirement would have been a jackpot. This give me some hope that he wont play out his contract.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Damn I feel for Looch. Wish the guy all the best and his mental health. Hockey is just a game and I just hope he can find happiness. He’s been through so much, I just hope he can find some peace.

Reactions: Ladyfan

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Damn I feel for Looch. Wish the guy all the best and his mental health. Hockey is just a game and I just hope he can find happiness. He’s been through so much, I just hope he can find some peace.

Provided we can make it to the promise land (the playoffs) Looch will be invaluable when other teams are targeting players. More than that the game gets tighter and slower and a player like Looch becomes has more of an impact. Look no further than Sam Bennett. He is okay during the regular season but is one of the few money players we have had in the playoffs.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Agree to disagree? Walking away from a portion of the last year of a contract a la Kovalchuk and Bogosian is a bit different than 3.5 seasons. I would imagine the NHLPA would have a field day and file grievances and all sorts of distractions and it seriously would not look good on the Flames as an organization.

Forcing the player into retirement is bad. Making a player feel so crap they walk away from 3.5 seasons of contract is just as bad.

The Flames would have won the trade BIG if Lucic retired. He is way overpaid /underperformed. His retirement would have been a jackpot. This give me some hope that he wont play out his contract.

I'd celebrate as much as the next guy if Lucic retired for a legitimate reason, but not if it was that he was painted into a corner and hated everything on the way out. If he decided to retire in the last season of the contract a la Kippersoff or something like that to avoid unfavorable situations such as health preservation, no problem. Even more so if he decides to do it for that reason in a favorable manner for us for the Seattle expansion draft. But absolutely no to him retiring to what was described in the article. That's a major black mark I don't want our org to be associated with.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Forcing the player into retirement is bad. Making a player feel so crap they walk away from 3.5 seasons of contract is just as bad.

I'd celebrate as much as the next guy if Lucic retired for a legitimate reason, but not if it was that he was painted into a corner and hated everything on the way out. If he decided to retire in the last season of the contract a la Kippersoff or something like that to avoid unfavorable situations such as health preservation, no problem. Even more so if he decides to do it for that reason in a favorable manner for us for the Seattle expansion draft. But absolutely no to him retiring to what was described in the article. That's a major black mark I don't want our org to be associated with.

The only way a player retires in these situations is if they have a position inside the organization that allows them to either expand on themselves or the money is comparable. That said there is little chance Lucic retires before his contract runs out.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
The only way a player retires in these situations is if they have a position inside the organization that allows them to either expand on themselves or the money is comparable. That said there is little chance Lucic retires before his contract runs out.
Little chance, but when your career turns to shit, you see no purpose in what you're doing day to day, and you have millions of dollars in the bank, you might consider it.

Shocking, that a hockey player is an actual real, living person with feelings and stuff.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Off the top of my head, Berglund and Naslund are the only two players who outright retired leaving significant money on the table. Almost everyone else choose LTIRetirement, which is probably the route Lucic chooses in a couple of years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->