Ducks Developing their Identity to Win Cup

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
With the development of defense men like Vats and Lindholm, we are developing our own identity to winning the cup, which will be quite different than 2007. There seems to a presupposition on this board and around the league that you have to be tough and goon-like, in order to win the cup. That is why teams like the Kings and Blues are often picked as Stanley Cup favorites the last two years. While, skilled teams that are fast and offensive oriented tend to win more than their share of cups, for example Blackhawks (twice), Red Wings, and Penguins. The Ducks played that style last year and they won the Pacific Division. People say that they choked in the playoffs, but all far off were we from winning the Cup last year? After Detroit upset us, they were so close to upsetting Chicago, losing to them in overtime in game 7, after blowing a 3 to 1 lead in the series. Some can attribute their loss from running out of gas, after having to play us in 7 game series with multiple overtimes, while Chicago swept through an injury plagued Minnesota team. I am sure Chicago was happy to see us get knocked out, since we were the one team they had trouble beating.

Now with offense oriented d-men like Vats and Lindholm, who will hold puck in zone more often, as well as able to set up offense, we will allow the team to possess the puck much more, which will help our defense. So our style is not as tough, as Kings and Blues, but we are faster, more skilled than them, and more offensively dangerous than them. This style has proven successful in the past, so let's support our team and realize that they have as good a shot as anybody in winning the cup.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
We are very injury prone after all, and that is crucial especially in the playoffs. It`s stil better to have stronger and maybe bigger players in order to have succes in a full season (including playoffs).

But BM is enjoying smart players with good skating. Can`t say i dislike it, the team looks good in last 2 years and a lot of talent is comming up. We have a lot of depth, but we still lack top end guys on defense and even maybe goalie. We have to wait until they develop, most likely as the upgrade is hard to find on trade or FA market.
And with Koivu retiring soon, our 3d line could also need and upgrade.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
The Hawks in 2010 had plenty of toughness - Brouwer, Byfuglien, Ladd, Seabrook, Eager, Sopel, Bolland & Burrish all bring a physical element to their game. Last years Hawks had enough sandpaper to get it done, they were far from just being a skilled lineup. The Pens in 09 were also extremely physical as well as being incredibly skilled. Orpik, Letang, Gill, Talbot (small but brings a lot of sandpaper), Staal, Cooke, Kunitz, Guerin and the list goes on.

To win in this league you can't get by purely on skill and you can't get by dressing a bunch of tough players. You need both elements to be successful.

Anyway I don't see the point in this thread. The Ducks likely aren't winning the cup anytime soon (I think we're an elite defenseman away from being really dangerous and that's likely going to have to wait until we can develop either Fowler or Lindholm into one) and when they do of course they'll have a different identity to the team that won it 6 years ago, there are only a handful of guys left from that team. When we do win again though I'll be willing to bet we have a fair bit of grit and sandpaper in the lineup.

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
As said above. We are short elite dman... or i think at least elite, shutdown, physical dman or two.

I think Beauch, on his A game, is/was that guy. But not this year with his injury.

Ideally... beach recovers as the season progresses and looks less vulnerable... and sourray comes back and plays physical as a shutdown dman.

As for identity, if this team continues to win games and score with all 4 lines (they did it last year and they are doing it this year) then thats their identity. This team, with a dangerous 2nd line, is better than last year... and you cant deny that.

Will the 2nd line stay dangerous? When will the rookie D start to do rookie things that cost games?

We will know more than 5 or 6 games into the season... maybe wait till half way through the season :)

Suddenly7

Jun 15, 2012
Anaheim
I feel we had drafted really well for our needs in the future. We have an excellent coach that fits well with our players. We will need a change in an assistant coach to help us on special teams (PK) and defense.

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
What I have been hearing is that we are short an elite D-man and that some of these Stanley Cup teams had some grit. Well, the Ducks have Beauch, and even though he is not 100% presently, I would think he will be 100% in a couple of months, and definitely by the time of the playoffs, if he doesn't incur another major injury. Also, by the time of the playoffs, I wouldn't rule out Cam being an elite d-man. After all, by the end of the season, he will have nearly 300 games in experience, which is often thought as the time needed for d-men to mature, and Cam's game always rises another level in the playoffs. And who knows how good Lindholm will be after a year's experience, before getting to playoffs.

The other complaint I hear is our lack of grit, but we have the same underlying grit that other mentioned with other Cup winners. We have Beauch, Souray, Allen, Sbisa, Belesky, Maroon, Getzlaf, Perry, Wittik, and even Etem who have toughness, even though they don't drop the gloves regularly. Plus you have feisty little guys like Cogs and Koivu, so we are not purely a finesse team. This team is so talented, I find it difficult to believe that we won't make the playoffs. Our fourth line, is better than a number of team's number two line.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
There's a difference between making the playoffs and winning a cup. We're likely going to make the playoffs but there are teams with far better defense and goaltending than us that have a definite edge to go all the way at this point of time.

Also, you do realize that not all players have an upward projecting development curve right? Lindholm/Vatanen coming in and playing well now doesn't mean they're going to keep improving and will be at an elite level by a certain point in time. There will be growing pains, slumps and confidence issues along the way.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I don't believe Anaheim's Cup window has opened. They are trending up, and I think they are on the right track, but I think there is still work to be done before this team is a legitimate contender.

I guess the summary is that I think this is a good team, but not a great one. Not yet. They are still at least a step below the Cup favorites, in my opinion. A playoff series would wear them down, and display a lot of cracks. You can't just be good in the playoffs, and you want to be able to get through each playoff series as quickly and efficiently as possible, or attrition will be your undoing.

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
The question I would ask, is how much better was the Blackhawks than the Ducks last year? The Ducks were almost neck and neck with the Blackhawks throughout the regular season, and were the second best team in the West, if not the league. And comparing their performances against Detroit in the playoffs was just as close. Teemu recognized how close we were to the Cup, thus why he came back for yet another year.

In regards to there being no universal scale of improvement curve, I believe Lindholm is a special player, and matured way beyond his years and experience.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
The question I would ask, is how much better was the Blackhawks than the Ducks last year? The Ducks were almost neck and neck with the Blackhawks throughout the regular season, and were the second best team in the West, if not the league. And comparing their performances against Detroit in the playoffs was just as close. Teemu recognized how close we were to the Cup, thus why he came back for yet another year.

In regards to there being no universal scale of improvement curve, I believe Lindholm is a special player, and matured way beyond his years and experience.

Bolded is your first problem. You're comparing regular season results to the playoffs. It's a whole different ball game playing the same team 7 straight in a playoff series.

And in answer to your question re how much better were the Blackhawks than us - significantly in virtually all aspects of the game. They took a while to wake up in the Detroit series but once they did they were near unstoppable.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
I think we are contender. A lot things have to go right to win a cup... injuries getting hot depth. u think we are 1 top4 shutdown defender away from a contender. We could also use an upgrade at 2nd line center but mp22 has beengreat so far.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I think we are contender. A lot things have to go right to win a cup... injuries getting hot depth. u think we are 1 top4 shutdown defender away from a contender. We could also use an upgrade at 2nd line center but mp22 has beengreat so far.

Don't ever post form your phone again!!!

To the point, I still strongly question the backend of this team.

mmbt

Cheeky Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
California
Visit site
I guess the summary is that I think this is a good team, but not a great one. Not yet. They are still at least a step below the Cup favorites, in my opinion. A playoff series would wear them down, and display a lot of cracks. You can't just be good in the playoffs, and you want to be able to get through each playoff series as quickly and efficiently as possible, or attrition will be your undoing.

I largely agree, although occasionally you'll see a team get just the right draws when it comes to opponents, where they face a few mediocre goaltenders, or encounter teams with some sort of fatal flaws that just happen to be exploitable by your style of play. But you can't count on that, certainly not for 4 rounds.

My biggest concern, besides the lack of an elite dman (and hey, the 'canes won with a pretty pedestrian defense), is that I still don't quite buy into our goaltending. It's good, but in a tight series where things turn on one or two saves, I'm not sure our guys are the ones who will make those saves.

getzforfighting*

we lost the series by one measly goal. After that, you never know how far we may have gone. We are a very talented team, goaltending is stellar, defence is the problem.

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
And in answer to your question re how much better were the Blackhawks than us - significantly in virtually all aspects of the game. They took a while to wake up in the Detroit series but once they did they were near unstoppable.

You mean going seven games with Detroit and winning the seventh game in overtime over a tired and beaten up team is significantly better? Chicago totally dominated every team in the regular season except for the Ducks. The Blawkhawks were relieved to play the Kings rather than the Ducks in Conference finals, because the Ducks are the one team that could match up to their skill level, as they demonstrated in the regular season. It was all over the Blackhawk's message boards.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
You mean going seven games with Detroit and winning the seventh game in overtime over a tired and beaten up team is significantly better? Chicago totally dominated every team in the regular season except for the Ducks. The Blawkhawks were relieved to play the Kings rather than the Ducks in Conference finals, because the Ducks are the one team that could match up to their skill level, as they demonstrated in the regular season. It was all over the Blackhawk's message boards.

There's your problem again. Regular season. The Islanders dominated the season series against the Pens a couple of years ago including a 9-3 win, guess that makes them better? Pittsburgh won every game they played against Boston in the regular season last year yet Boston destroyed them head to head in the playoffs. The regular season doesn't mean **** when it comes to projecting playoff series.

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
I don't believe Anaheim's Cup window has opened. They are trending up, and I think they are on the right track, but I think there is still work to be done before this team is a legitimate contender.

To me only two things seperate us from being one. Solid goaltending and a rolling 1st line. With this we can beat everyone. If the defense get stronger this team has dynasty potential.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
To me only two things seperate us from being one. Solid goaltending and a rolling 1st line. With this we can beat everyone. If the defense get stronger this team has dynasty potential.
Really?

I think it's time to put the brakes on considering we haven't seen a dynasty team in 30 years, and that was in a non cap world.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
If we get past it injuries and fully healthy come playoff time I can see us winning it all. Every one has a chance in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad