GDT: Ducks @ Caps - noon o' clock today

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
It’s the random periods where they look completely lost, get outshot 20-4, that concern me. They look like the above-average hockey team they are 80% of the time, but just shockingly bad the other 20%.

They get a home game against the very bad Blackhawks to try to get to true .500, which would be pretty amazing.

Reactions: AngelDuck
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
It’s the random periods where they look completely lost, get outshot 20-4, that concern me. They look like the above-average hockey team they are 80% of the time, but just shockingly bad the other 20%.

They get a home game against the very bad Blackhawks to try to get to true .500, which would be pretty amazing.
I'd switch those percentages.

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
I was at the game tonight, and ready to walk out the doors when it hit 5-1. It was insane.

Attachments

• IMG_20181202_213014_338.jpg
    IMG_20181202_213014_338.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 25
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I’ve never rooted for them to lose. I’ve been resigned to them losing because they have a bad coach with a boring style of hockey, and they aren’t doing a damned thing that BM promised would occur in the offseason. That challenge tonight was asinine. And they’re still getting routinely horrifically outplayed, they’re just getting Vezina caliber goaltending and coming on at the end of games. If anything, it’s infuriating that they CAN play like that for short periods of time and look like trash for the other 40-50 minutes of the game.

It is nice to be winning though. But they’ll be a 4-5 game out in the playoffs if they continue playing like this, and we all want better.

Lol no they're not.

Anyway, the guy has a point. When the team has a pretty incredible come from behind win and the first thought of a bunch of people is about RC, maybe it's time to take a step back, maybe even log off for a bit.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Lol no they're not.

Anyway, the guy has a point. When the team has a pretty incredible come from behind win and the first thought of a bunch of people is about RC, maybe it's time to take a step back, maybe even log off for a bit.
A recurrent theme of the entire road trip has been “don’t bother watching the 1st/2nd period”. They were down 5-1 tonight. They were outshot 21-6 in the 1st period against Carolina. Outshot 15-8, 16-8, 13-9 vs Florida. They were great in Tampa. They were worse than the score looked in Nashville. Their record is not reflective of the way those games were played, Vezina level goaltending notwithstanding. So, I’m going to have to disagree with you on that.

I hear you on RC, but the team isn’t gojng anywhere playing like this. Miracle 3rd period comebacks aren’t a sustainable way to advance in the playoffs, and our current position is more evidence of how execrable the Pacific is than as to how good the Ducks are.

Reactions: Lord Flashheart
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
A recurrent theme of the entire road trip has been “don’t bother watching the 1st/2nd period”. They were down 5-1 tonight. They were outshot 21-6 in the 1st period against Carolina. Outshot 15-8, 16-8, 13-9 vs Florida. They were great in Tampa. They were worse than the score looked in Nashville. Their record is not reflective of the way those games were played, Vezina level goaltending notwithstanding. So, I’m going to have to disagree with you on that.

I hear you on RC, but the team isn’t gojng anywhere playing like this. Miracle 3rd period comebacks aren’t a sustainable way to advance in the playoffs, and our current position is more evidence of how execrable the Pacific is than as to how good the Ducks are.

No ones saying a string of bad first periods and needing to come back many nights is a good thing, but theres quite a difference between that and being routinely outplayed, let alone horrifically. Theres no real need to dress it up.

And sure, but again, if that's on your mind immediately following a 4 goal comeback, that's where theres an issue. Hes not getting fired guys, just enjoy what you can.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
No ones saying a string of bad first periods and needing to come back many nights is a good thing, but theres quite a difference between that and being routinely outplayed, let alone horrifically. Theres no real need to dress it up.

And sure, but again, if that's on your mind immediately following a 4 goal comeback, that's where theres an issue. Hes not getting fired guys, just enjoy what you can.
One could make an argument pretty easily that the score of the Nashville game, and the shots against in Carolina understated just how badly they played. Tonight as well. You can fill in a lesser adjective and I won’t argue too much, but it’s not close just how badly they’re being outplayed for appreciable periods of time in 4 of the last 5 games, and they are not outplaying the other team by the same margins when they pull the comebacks. They are the merely the team with the better goalie.

That’s not sustainable, and I’ll be happy and excited for the wins, but I’m not happy or excited at them doing exactly what they did last year after an offseason of promised changes and accountability that are nowhere to be seen. We all know how that ends.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I can come up with two teams total where the goaltender has covered up for a flawed team and got them to a Final. I can think of a large number that got the team to a 1st round exit. I can think of none that have won. You?

Almost half of all teams don't make the playoffs. Of the ones that do, 75% go out in the first two rounds.

Of course you remember way more who don't make the Final than do.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I think this team could be like the 2012 Kings under the right coach. Good D, ELITE goalie, just good enough forwards. One thing we don't have is Drew Doughty. Also Kesler turning into a pumpkin hurts our C depth tremendously

I'd love to see our D commit to just taking away all time and space with their mobility but that would require the coach making every forward on the roster back check their ass off.

This teams future is not hopeless at all. I went into this season with extremely low expectations but I am optimistic about 2020 (feels weird to talk about the 20s) and beyond

Last edited:

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Almost half of all teams don't make the playoffs. Of the ones that do, 75% go out in the first two rounds.

Of course you remember way more who don't make the Final than do.
Yes, because , like I said, zero and two are easy numbers to remember.

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I think this team could be like the 2012 Kings under the right coach. Good D, ELITE goalie, just good enough forwards. One thing we don't have is Drew Doughty. Also Kesler turning into a pumpkin hurts our C depth tremendously

I'd love to see our D commit to just taking away all time and space with their mobility but that would require the coach making every forward on the roster back check their ass off.

This teams future is not hopeless at all. I went into this season with extremely low expectations but I am optimistic about 2020 (feels weird to talk about the 20s) and beyond

When all of: Steel, Lundestrom, Terry, Comtois, Jones, Morand, Groulx, Mahura are permanently part of the roster they will likely be a very good team & Lindholm/Gibson will be in peak form having the best years of their career. Getzlaf will be old but likely returns on a short contract & continues to produce the way Joe Thornton has in his late 30s, Perry won't be re-signed at all, Kesler will likely be bought out by then or LTIR.
They may not have a superstar type forward but they'll have 4 lines that can score, great D & elite goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad