Proposal: Ducks/Bruins (+ 3rd team)

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
This was an idea that was kicked around a bit before the draft and free agency kicked off, I realize that teams are still perhaps eying bigger fish in the trade market but I still figured it would be interesting to revisit this now that the dust has at least settled a bit more.

To Boston - RW Corey Perry (8.6M cap hit x 3 years, salaries 9M, 8M, 7M), pick or prospect from Team C

To Anaheim - C/RW David Backes ($6M cap hit x 3 years, salaries 3M, 4M, 4M)

To Team C - RD Kevan Miller ($2.5M cap hit & salary x 2 years)

* Obviously contingent on both Perry and Backes waiving NMC

From an Anaheim perspective, I go back and forth on whether this is a good fit. With the uncertainty around Kesler, I believe we could use Backes in his matchup role (and as the 3C on paper) to take the main defensive load away from Getzlaf and Henrique. If/when Kesler returns, Backes could shift back to RW, and perhaps provide a replacement for Silfverberg if we end up in a position to move the latter as a rental this season. The drawback is that we give up the more proven offensive commodity from a group not exactly known for firepower, but also gain 2.6M in cap space to help with upcoming extensions. There's also the added attraction of the salary/cap discrepancy with Backes, which would no doubt appeal more to a more stingy team. I think Backes is definitely the better fit if we are entering a retool phase, with his smaller contract and superior defensive ability + versatility.

I believe the Bruins are wanting to add a true top 6 scorer to play on the second line with Krejci, but it doesn't appear they have the cap space to add a big fish without clearing out some cap. This deal upgrades their top 6 offensively while only adding 100k to the cap for the first two seasons.

Thoughts?

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
This would definitely make a ton of sense from the Ducks side. If it weren't for the Schenn/Sustr signings Miller would have also been a great fit as a Duck.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
It's a solid proposal, but I'm not big on the idea of swapping Perry out for another declining player on a similarly inflated contract. As long as he continues to be a reasonably productive player, I'd much rather move his salary out with little coming back (even if it means a small add-on), or let him ride it out and retire in Anaheim along with Getz.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Why do we want Backes? He doesn’t even play center anymore.

Bruins fans could shed more light on this, but it's my understanding that Backes has played RW for them more due to need than anything to do with his own game. Reading their board today it seems as though at least a few of them see Backes filling their 3C spot, and he's not very far removed from being a Selke candidate center.

So my answer to why we would want Backes...if we are trying to contend still right now, we need a top 9 C focused on defensive matchups to fill the void left by Kesler's absence. That allows the lines centered by Getzlaf, Henrique and (hopefully) Steel to have their primary focus on the offensive end. Versatility is huge when injuries hit and at the end of a close game, having both Henrique and Backes being able to play center and wing is a nice luxury. We also save significant money to help keep other key players locked up.

For sure if we go into a retool type phase, Backes and his contract are a better fit.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Bruins roster for this coming season would make a lot more sense if Backes would keep playing C, but despite some hopeful Bruins fans, he is a wing now.

The important part is...

Bruins are going to have a great preference for finding a non-cap team to like Backes at 2x2.5 in real money next July 2nd than taking on Perry's contract.

edit: to be super clear...

If Backes can be #3C, Bruins wouldn't have a big interest in dealing him this season.

When the Bruins do want to move on from Backes, if coming next year when McAvoy and other come off ELC and Backes becomes very cheap in real money is when it would happen.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I don't think this works for the Bruins. Backes still has value for the Bruins in his ability to play C (even though he's stated he perfers not to), his physical play and leadership. Add to that, if and when the Bruins need to make cap space next season or the year after it would be much easier to move Backes than Perry due to actual salary and cap hit.

Reactions: 405Exit

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
I don't think this works for the Bruins. Backes still has value for the Bruins in his ability to play C (even though he's stated he perfers not to), his physical play and leadership. Add to that, if and when the Bruins need to make cap space next season or the year after it would be much easier to move Backes than Perry due to actual salary and cap hit.

This is a very solid point. I was getting at it as well in the above post. But you summed it up very nicely.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
I think Bruins are set:

Marchand-Bergeron-Bjork
Debrusk-Krejci-Pastrnak
Heinen-Backes-Donato
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Miller
Moore-Carlo
McQuaid
Grzelcyk

Rask
Halak

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Isn’t Corey Perry kind of a bad dude? I’d take backes at 15 goals over Perry at 20 since backes is a massive vocal leader and Perry isn’t. Plus Perry makes 40 goal money and has fallen off a cliff. Plus on this deal Boston sheds a bad contract, Anaheim sheds a worse contract but Boston also adds their top 4 rd from last year for I guess no reason? So I guess the pick would be kevan millers value so a 2nd? Pass

clownshoes

Mar 5, 2008
Windowless room
i'm of the opinion that perry is worthless in a trade, ie. anything that would benefit the ducks . perry is still good for 20-25 goals imo. as much as iam sick of his lazy underperformance, i'd rather hang on to him and hope he changes his ways. at least have a solid season to increase his value. he's still young enough to turn things around. knowing his sorry ass , as soon as he goes to another team he'd pot 30.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
This was an idea that was kicked around a bit before the draft and free agency kicked off, I realize that teams are still perhaps eying bigger fish in the trade market but I still figured it would be interesting to revisit this now that the dust has at least settled a bit more.

To Boston - RW Corey Perry (8.6M cap hit x 3 years, salaries 9M, 8M, 7M), pick or prospect from Team C

To Anaheim - C/RW David Backes ($6M cap hit x 3 years, salaries 3M, 4M, 4M)

To Team C - RD Kevan Miller ($2.5M cap hit & salary x 2 years)

* Obviously contingent on both Perry and Backes waiving NMC

From an Anaheim perspective, I go back and forth on whether this is a good fit. With the uncertainty around Kesler, I believe we could use Backes in his matchup role (and as the 3C on paper) to take the main defensive load away from Getzlaf and Henrique. If/when Kesler returns, Backes could shift back to RW, and perhaps provide a replacement for Silfverberg if we end up in a position to move the latter as a rental this season. The drawback is that we give up the more proven offensive commodity from a group not exactly known for firepower, but also gain 2.6M in cap space to help with upcoming extensions. There's also the added attraction of the salary/cap discrepancy with Backes, which would no doubt appeal more to a more stingy team. I think Backes is definitely the better fit if we are entering a retool phase, with his smaller contract and superior defensive ability + versatility.

I believe the Bruins are wanting to add a true top 6 scorer to play on the second line with Krejci, but it doesn't appear they have the cap space to add a big fish without clearing out some cap. This deal upgrades their top 6 offensively while only adding 100k to the cap for the first two seasons.

Thoughts?

the problem from bostons perspective is they are already counting on getting rid of backes and miller {or McQuaid} to afford the new contracts to McAvoy, carlo, debrusk, donato, Heinen, Bjork and possibly others that will be due in the next 2 seasons

we would need to send perry to the second team and wash him before his final destination in boston

say perry and Patrick eaves to the rangers for future considerations with an understanding boston has already agreed to take perry if hes reduced in cap hit

then

rangers trade perry to boston with 1/2 retained for bostons first round pick and kevin miller or adam mcquaid

boston sends backes to Anaheim for some unwanted prospect

Anaheim completes the trade with the rangers by taking a late pick now that perrry was sent to rangers. the conditions of the original trade said this pick would be higher if rangers betrayed Anaheim and boston and didn't uphold their end of the agreement

Anaheim is able to get out from underneath the eaves contract... he might get healthy and be worth something to the rangers at the deadline... or he might not. a budget contending team like Anaheim probably doesn't want to take the risk

boston gets the guy they want at a much more affordable cap hit even though they now lose their first round pick. I think perry at 1/2 cap hit is worth the picks and getting rid of the 2 contracts is good too.

rangers get miller and eaves contracts but I think both can be flipped for prospects/picks. and they get a first round from boston. all they need to do is eat 1/2 of perrys cap hit and pay eaves and miller until the 2 of them are moved plus sacrifice some minor pick to make it all legal

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad