Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Dan Hamhuis
Calvin de Haan
Johnny Oduya
Micheal Stone

Are probably the four front-runners right now because of their current team struggles. Might be a few guys from Raleigh that may also be a potential trade bait; but I'd be worried about them because their defence looks better than it actual is due to play style.

Oduya would probably be the cheapest and is UFA after this year.

If the Flames are contending for the division by the deadline, I'd be fine with them trading for Oduya, even more so if they could move Wideman out.

Ideally, something like Wideman for a pick, then that pick+Pollack for Oduya.

Roll with:

Giordano-Hamilton
Oduya-Brodie
Kulak-Engelland
Jokipakka

As far as missing a solid #4 dman, can anybody admit that Kris Russell isn't the hot garbage people thought he was? The D looked a lot better with him in than out.

The problem with Russell was more so that's an adequate #4 that wanted to be paid like a high end #3 (5M+ on a long term deal). Given his size, his struggles in the defensive zone and the amount of cap the Flames already have tied up in their top three, it didn't and still doesn't make sense to bring him back at that salary level.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Yeah, because his natural enemy, the zebra, goes into hibernation in the playoffs. :laugh:

:yo:

I didn't think Russell was hot garbage, but as others have mentioned he wasn't good enough to warrant a long term money contract, which is what he was looking for.

Oduya would be ok I guess, but I'm still not crazy about him. I know trading with van is likely out of the question, but Tanev would look pretty good with Brodie on the 2nd pair.

I said that and then couldn't think of a single thing I could trade to vancouver (worthy of tanev) that wouldn't cause me to puke immediately

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
The problem with Russell was more so that's an adequate #4 that wanted to be paid like a high end #3 (5M+ on a long term deal). Given his size, his struggles in the defensive zone and the amount of cap the Flames already have tied up in their top three, it didn't and still doesn't make sense to bring him back at that salary level.

Yet he ended up signing for one year at 3.1M. I don't remember if I ever saw anything official(from his agent) on those being his actual contract demands. Even at 3.1 we couldn't really of fit him in so it's a mute point. Simply too much tied up in the back end to make that happen.

Looking at you Dennis and Deryk :squint:.

From what I can tell the problem with the bottom 3 on our blue line(not Kulak) is a serious lack of foot speed. While Kris wasn't a burner or anything, he definitely did have some quick feet.

Just pointing out that if we're looking for a stabilizing #4 dman who could play the left side with Brodie, move the puck, and could PK well, his name might of been Kris Russell for under 3.5 and no assets lost.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
The small details but if Johnny wants to go from a 70 point player to a 90 point player he just needs to make some quicker plays and not get in so tight sometimes. Last night if he would of made an early dish to backlund then backs would of drawn bernier out and either roofed it or bring it in and then back to Johnny who would of had an empty net. Again a small detail but Johnny is sometimes guilty of holding onto the puck a bit too long. I want him to go from star to superstar.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The small details but if Johnny wants to go from a 70 point player to a 90 point player he just needs to make some quicker plays and not get in so tight sometimes. Last night if he would of made an early dish to backlund then backs would of drawn bernier out and either roofed it or bring it in and then back to Johnny who would of had an empty net. Again a small detail but Johnny is sometimes guilty of holding onto the puck a bit too long. I want him to go from star to superstar.

On the play you're talking about, it looked like he mis-handled the puck right as he was about to do something with it, and that robbed him of all his options and resulted in the relatively weak shot attempt. Hard to say what he would've done on that play without the bobble, but I'm confident he knows what he's doing in those situations.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Jokkipakka, 3rd, Pollock for Russell at the deadline

I keep forgetting Brett Pollock is in the system. Wonder whether any teams at all would be interested in him at the deadline, looks like he's gonna cap out as an AHL regular.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I wouldn't mind Oduya, but is he any good still? De Haan or Stone would be sick, but would cost something that would hurt.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
UC you kill me bb :biglaugh:m

Guys what would you think about just calling up Andersson to play with Brodie?

I mean yeah an andersson brodie pairing would be good maybe in a year or 2, is andersson even close to being ready for the NHL? Especially it being top 4 minutes with Brodie

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Andersson looked ready (by my eye) during training camp last year. He didn't loo nearly as good this year but I think he's fairly close. He'd be no worse than Wideman defensively right now but I don't know if he'd actually be much better.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Brodie could cover for him and allow him to play his offensive game. It might be a match made in heaven.

I think a Kylington-Brodie pairing would work better. Andersson isn't as good in transition as Kylington is and I think having two great transition D would work better.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
UC you kill me bb :biglaugh:m

Guys what would you think about just calling up Andersson to play with Brodie?

I think we should play Kulak instead. If not Kulak, I think TSpoon deserves some more NHL time.

Andersson and Kylington are too raw.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I think we should play Kulak instead. If not Kulak, I think TSpoon deserves some more NHL time.

Andersson and Kylington are too raw.

Agreed. The issue isn't needing someone else from the farm, it's that Wideman is still being dressed for games. Brodie should be on the right side (whether part of Brodano or with Kevin) and Kulak should play with Engelland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad