TSN: Ducks asked Perry for a list of teams he would accept a trade to at some point last season

Dominicr

Nov 23, 2017
Getzlaf is not being moved nor is he even being considered to move. Would love to see how the Blues could work with Getz and Tavares' contracts though.

Money wouldn’t be that hard. Could move parayko to free up 5.5 and pull a Chicago and send j-bow to ltir so his salary doesn’t count.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Am I the only one who sees him in Minnesota next year, there may be enough bad contracts between the two teams to make it work? Maybe something like Ritchie and Perry for Niederreiter, Ennis and Foligno?
1eMZYHW.gif

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Perry is clearly in decline. But in terms of point production, one overlooked factor is he was no longer playing on the top power play. I think he will be hard to trade - I could actually see him being bought out in connection with the next expansion draft depending on the ducks roster structure.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
If the Maple Leafs lose out on the Tavares sweepstakes, I would be okay with them dealing Matt Martin and a pick for Corey Perry. The Perry name is sexy but when you consider his $8.6M cap hit and his obvious decline, I don't think he's worth a whole lot.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
IF Marleau wasn't a leaf, I could've seen a fit here. He thought about it in 2013.

Ducks' Perry pondered future with Maple Leafs - Sportsnet.ca

But as was said here, I doubt anyone can take him on at full value. Retain 15-20% of his deal and you'll get a better return. He isn't as good as kessel is, but is similar to when the leafs trade him 3 years ago though he's older at the same age in their careers

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
A guy making $8.6M (AAV) should be more than a 49 point producer.

For that AAV, he's not worth a whole lot.

Anaheim would be lucky to rid themselves of that contract and get back a 2nd round pick.

But he's not asking for him at $8.6 mil per year, he's asking for him a little over 6 mil... which is less than Kane got after putting up more than that once in the last five years. I know Kane will likely get better, is younger, etc... but Perry should be a 45-50 pt player through the end of his contract, so at 6 mil wouldn't be too terrible of a contract. If he was saying a nothing prospect at full cap hit, I could see that.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
But he's not asking for him at $8.6 mil per year, he's asking for him a little over 6 mil... which is less than Kane got after putting up more than that once in the last five years. I know Kane will likely get better, is younger, etc... but Perry should be a 45-50 pt player through the end of his contract, so at 6 mil wouldn't be too terrible of a contract. If he was saying a nothing prospect at full cap hit, I could see that.

Perry at $6M would still be one of the most expensive 45-50 point forwards in the league.

There are a dozen UFA forwards this July that are capable of hitting 45-50 points. Aside from Tavares, every one of them would cost less than $6M. There were about 65-70 forwards this past season who scored at a 45-50 point pace. Perry's expected point production isn't anything special. Anaheim should either hang on to him or if they're looking to move that contract, they should be pretty happy getting back an asset equal to a 2nd round pick.

Even with retention, $18-20M over the next 3 seasons is a commitment for the acquiring team.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
But Kane is also 6 years younger than Perry. When Kane finishes his 7 year contract, he will be the same age as Perry in 2019, who will still have 2 years left on his contract.

Ducks will definitely have to either take back a contract which lasts at least 2 more years or retain on the deal.

Murray, during his end of year media conference said that the team needed Perry to be more committed in the off-season. That's seems to indicate that the team thinks Perry isn't putting in the off ice work to get getter. Which isn't a good thing for someone who is 13 year veteran in the NHL and one of the team leaders.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Perry at $6M would still be one of the most expensive 45-50 point forwards in the league.

There are a dozen UFA forwards this July that are capable of hitting 45-50 points. Aside from Tavares, every one of them would cost less than $6M. There were about 65-70 forwards this past season who scored at a 45-50 point pace. Perry's expected point production isn't anything special. Anaheim should either hang on to him or if they're looking to move that contract, they should be pretty happy getting back an asset equal to a 2nd round pick.

Even with retention, $18-20M over the next 3 seasons is a commitment for the acquiring team.

You have to weigh the financial cost of Perry for three years, plus the likely small price to acquire him, against the risk of having giving those UFA's a longer term commitment. I realize the Leafs got Marleau on a three year deal, but most top six wingers signing in that price range are going to get a long term deal.

Personally I'd rather have Perry for the three years he's owed at full price than commit six or seven years to say JVR at 6M+. I'm sure opinions on that would vary though.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
You have to weigh the financial cost of Perry for three years, plus the likely small price to acquire him, against the risk of having giving those UFA's a longer term commitment. I realize the Leafs got Marleau on a three year deal, but most top six wingers signing in that price range are going to get a long term deal.

Personally I'd rather have Perry for the three years he's owed at full price than commit six or seven years to say JVR at 6M+. I'm sure opinions on that would vary though.

That makes sense but the three or four teams that might have interest in Corey Perry will go out and have options. That lowers Perry's trade value by quite a bit. The assets it may take to land Perry could easily be used to go out and acquire a significantly cheaper winger that's capable of giving you 40 points.

Any team that gives JVR a 7 year deal over $6M is going to regret it in a couple years. He's good along the boards and in front of the net but he contributes very little in the neutral zone or on the defensive side of the puck.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
That makes sense but the three or four teams that might have interest in Corey Perry will go out and have options. That lowers Perry's trade value by quite a bit. The assets it may take to land Perry could easily be used to go out and acquire a significantly cheaper winger that's capable of giving you 40 points.

Any team that gives JVR a 7 year deal over $6M is going to regret it in a couple years. He's good along the boards and in front of the net but he contributes very little in the neutral zone or on the defensive side of the puck.

I'm not saying there will be a big market by any means but I can see Perry being more attractive to some teams than a big long term deal in free agency. I think it would largely depend on what type of money the Ducks would be willing and able to take back or retain.

Reactions: Scott Malkinson

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
I'm not saying there will be a big market by any means but I can see Perry being more attractive to some teams than a big long term deal in free agency. I think it would largely depend on what type of money the Ducks would be willing and able to take back or retain.
I don't disagree.

Also, your location of Worst Case, Ontario made my day.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I think it would have to be Brouwer + bennet for Perry... maybe Anaheim adds a lil but perry is much better than Brouwer.

I'd rather keep Bennett. I'd be willing to add slightly, but not much.

Perry with a little bit of retention for Frolik? Ducks add a versatile and useful 3rd line guy. I think perry would do really well with calgary.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'd rather keep Bennett. I'd be willing to add slightly, but not much.

Perry with a little bit of retention for Frolik? Ducks add a versatile and useful 3rd line guy. I think perry would do really well with calgary.
I do agree perry could do well in calgary, might be best fit for him. Just finding a good trade is tough part

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
I'm curious how much money Anaheim would be willing to retain in a deal. I've always liked Perry just not the contract obviously

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I do agree perry could do well in calgary, might be best fit for him. Just finding a good trade is tough part

Which is why I mention Frolik. He's a solid middle 6 winger who had an off year. Excellent defensively, great penalty killer. Signed for only two more seasons. He's a downgrade, but his contract ends a year sooner, and you'd shed some cap in the short term.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I'm curious how much money Anaheim would be willing to retain in a deal. I've always liked Perry just not the contract obviously
It really depends on what is coming back. I doesn't make much sense to take on a lesser player while retaining. You essentially end up paying the same thing but getting the lesser player or at least close to it depending on the retention. If the Ducks manage to clear up 6ish mill in cap with just a 2 mill retention by taking futures I think it ends up a good deal. If we have to take on another bad contract id rather keep the guy we know in hopes he finds the motivation to be better.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->