TSN: Ducks asked Perry for a list of teams he would accept a trade to at some point last season

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
TSN - Erik Karlsson tops first trade bait board of summer

“Finally, it is believed the Anaheim Ducks asked former Hart Trophy winner Corey Perry (25) for a list of teams he’d accept a trade to at some point last season. He is due $24 million over the next three years. The Ducks may want to tinker with their core, but Perry’s contract won’t be easy to move and he holds all the cards.”

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Ducks may be at a point where they should just take the best deal for Perry that's out there.

Which won't be too much.

His age, cap hit, lowering production, and ntc? That's a lot of barriers for the ducks. I have no doubt that Perry CAN still be productive but there is very little leverage for the ducks.

They will most certainly have to the back a bad contract.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Which won't be too much.

His age, cap hit, lowering production, and ntc? That's a lot of barriers for the ducks. I have no doubt that Perry CAN still be productive but there is very little leverage for the ducks.

Yeah there are too many unknown variables to say with any confidence what his value is. It all comes down to how many teams he's willing to go to that determines their leverage. It won't be much because it's an obvious sell-low on a large contract but it's probably for the greater good of their franchise moving forward. But then again, they can increase his value if they can retain salary. They could retain enough to make his next team's cap hit very much in line for what he produces. If the Ducks retain 2 mil then Perry would be on a pretty good cap hit for his new team.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Yeah there are too many unknown variables to say with any confidence what his value is. It all comes down to how many teams he's willing to go to that determines their leverage. It won't be much because it's an obvious sell-low on a large contract but it's probably for the greater good of their franchise moving forward. But then again, they can increase his value if they can retain salary. They could retain enough to make his next team's cap hit very much in line for what he produces. If the Ducks retain 2 mil then Perry would be on a pretty good cap hit for his new team.

Oooo good point. Forgot about retention. Derp. My bad.

Yes that, now having it pointed out for me, would make it much more palpitable.

Shame. I'm a huge Perry fan. Seeing him drop off like that ... booo.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I doubt it's a "trade at all costs" scenario.. He can still pot 20-25 goals and only has three years remaining. If a reasonable deal can be found, go for it, if not just ride it out.

Of course but what is seen as reasonable for Perry right now may be seen as pretty low or not all that much different than what a trade-at-all-costs move would look like. The Ducks need to turn the page and riding it out with Perry is only going to delay that and make the next three years very tough on the team.

Detelethisaccount

Jul 5, 2013
Am I the only one who sees him in Minnesota next year, there may be enough bad contracts between the two teams to make it work? Maybe something like Ritchie and Perry for Niederreiter, Ennis and Foligno?

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Of course but what is seen as reasonable for Perry right now may be seen as pretty low or not all that much different than what a trade-at-all-costs move would look like. The Ducks need to turn the page and riding it out with Perry is only going to delay that and make the next three years very tough on the team.

That "list of teams he'd accept a trade to" makes it sound like he's obligated to give them a list of some sort when in reality the question is more "would you accept a trade at all". Ride it out may be the only option available to them at this point. He's spent his entire career in Anaheim, just got married and had a new baby. Couple that with his full NMC and it looks pretty iffy that he goes anywhere.

Am I the only one who sees him in Minnesota next year, there may be enough bad contracts between the two teams to make it work? Maybe something like Ritchie and Perry for Niederreiter, Ennis and Foligno?

I have no idea why ANA would do that. They don't want to pay Perry 8.6 next year so they take on 12.6M in salary to pay 3 bad players instead of 1? 3 contracts - 2 of which last as long or longer than Perry's while giving up an RFA the organization is pretty high on? Pass

Last edited:

IceBoxHockey

Feb 14, 2016

Yes.

Ignoring just how bad that deal is for the Wild, the last player I want on this team is perry.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I know we're rivals, but I wouldn't be surprised if we took on Perry and gave back Brouwer. I think both would bounce back on their respective teams.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Perry isn't worth his contract but people are acting like he's a bad player.

He had a bad year and had 50 points last season.

What would be the ask from Anaheim?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That "list of teams he'd accept a trade to" makes it sound like he's obligated to give them a list of some sort when in reality the question is more "would you accept a trade at all". Ride it out may be the only option available to them at this point. He's spent his entire career in Anaheim, just got married and had a new baby. Couple that with his full NMC and it looks pretty iffy that he goes anywhere.

True there is certainly some things that would need to be cleared up to make any real declaration of his value. If he has a full NMC, which is my assumption, they may not have an option to trade him anywhere. But if there is language in that movement clause that allows them under certain conditions to get a list then there may be some options but who knows at this point? I agree that it's not likely he goes anywhere.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
If a team took him without any salary retention, and sent no salary back, what would the price be in draft picks? Just looking for a general starting point.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Which won't be too much.

He's still put up 17g and 32 assists and the year before was 19g and 34 assists, so it's not like he isn't producing at all (just not for what he's being paid for obvi).

Not a fan of either team.

Perry

For

Hanzal
Ritchie

Tossing it out there.

Eh, I don't see why Dallas does this. Also, I think rather just wait out Perry's contract since he can still put up around 40-50 points. Also, no interest in the worst Ritchie brother.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Ducks may be at a point where they should just take the best deal for Perry that's out there.

I think if we retain to get him around 7- 7.3 range... some teams would be interested hes still a 20/50 guy... and I think a change of scenery could bring out a little more in him... hes seemed disgruntled in Anaheim for a while now. The bigger problem is I think he has a full NTC... so the list might be tough to work with.

I pitched in a montreal thread something on the lines of
Patches + benn + 38th
for
Perry(@7.3) + 23rd + Larsson + kerdelis

and I think that's our best case scenario packaging him with a young d prospect and a pick to get a solid player in return.

Reactions: dukeofjive

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If a team took him without any salary retention, and sent no salary back, what would the price be in draft picks? Just looking for a general starting point.
Money has To be involved. See no way that he gets moved without it. Perry calls the shots. So up to him what kind of team he wants to play for. Contender or some place with nice weather to play out his career? Who knows. No chance a contender can take his full contract. Don’t see perry as the type to ride out in AZ for 3 years.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I know we're rivals, but I wouldn't be surprised if we took on Perry and gave back Brouwer. I think both would bounce back on their respective teams.

I think it would have to be Brouwer + bennet for Perry... maybe Anaheim adds a lil but perry is much better than Brouwer.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

I mean freeing up 8.5 million? ill drive him over to you and you just give us a 3rd round pick.... and we can go try to pitch for Tavares/karlsson/doughty/etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad