Ducks and Hurricanes (both teams wore their home jersey's tonight)

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
This should happen more often unless the teams have overlapping colors (TOR - TB).

Would love to see the Leafs and Habs play in their blue and reds

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Bundesliga has had this happen quite a few times actually.

I tried to find videos but it's really hard to know what exactly to look for, I know I've seen it happen about 5 or 6 times in my life time.
The only thing I can find to prove what I'm saying is true is the following picture from the 70s

hsv-werderbremen-trikot-100~_v-gseagaleriexl.jpg

The guys in the white jerseys are Hamburg, the guys in the dark jerseys are Bremen wearing Hamburg's away jersey after the referee deemed Bremen's jersey too close in appearance to Hamburg's jersey.

Hamburg and Bremen are bitter, bitter rivals (Liverpool/Everton, Barcelona/Madrid level rivalry).
As I said, imagine this happening between Philly and Pittsburgh, Montreal/Boston. Unthinkable.

Perhaps some German posters, or those who follow soccer can vouch for what I'm saying has actually occurred over the years in soccer.

edit: Found a video to the picture here, it's in German but brings the point across

Historie - Das Bremer Trikot-Dilemma
So 50 years ago?

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Does your TV only transmit in black&white?

On a serious note, I love it, but I think they need to go the soccer route where they have a "main jersey" and an alternate jersey that only comes out when the colors are too close in hue.

Boston black vs Ranger blue wouldn't look too great. But a Boston yellow vs. a Ranger blue would be great.

They need to learn. Hope this will become standard once they fine tune it.

The soccer idea is a good one. Just make sure that the jerseys are different enough to tell who from who...

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Road teams should always travel with their 'dark' jerseys. The home team should cater to the road team, if their colors are too similar, home team wears white. If they contrast both teams wear their dark jerseys.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Road teams should always travel with their 'dark' jerseys. The home team should cater to the road team, if their colors are too similar, home team wears white. If they contrast both teams wear their dark jerseys.

Yeah, that's probably not going to be happening. One of the reasons the League switched back to home colors in 2003 was because teams were having to carry two sets of equipment on the road if/when any of their opponents were wearing 3rd jerseys (which were predominantly dark). It may not seem like a lot of effort but consider you're bringing an extra set of jerseys, helmets, and socks plus spares, all of which have to be transported on an away. I can certainly understand why equipment managers in the late '90s and early '00s considered it a headache.

In this instance, the Hurricanes wore their home reds on the California road trip after they reached out to the Kings, Sharks, and Ducks asking if that was OK. In the case of the Ducks game it also required NHL approval for a dark-on-dark matchup.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Yeah, that's probably not going to be happening. One of the reasons the League switched back to home colors in 2003 was because teams were having to carry two sets of equipment on the road if/when any of their opponents were wearing 3rd jerseys (which were predominantly dark). It may not seem like a lot of effort but consider you're bringing an extra set of jerseys, helmets, and socks plus spares, all of which have to be transported on an away. I can certainly understand why equipment managers in the late '90s and early '00s considered it a headache.

In this instance, the Hurricanes wore their home reds on the California road trip after they reached out to the Kings, Sharks, and Ducks asking if that was OK. In the case of the Ducks game it also required NHL approval for a dark-on-dark matchup.

You misunderstood.

Home team CATERS to the road team
- Road team travels with dark uniforms only (or whatever color jersey they want to really)
- Home team either wears dark if their jerseys are a contrasting color with the away team
- If they are too similar in color, the HOME team wears white.

EDIT: Maybe I misunderstood your post actually.. If a home team wanted to wear a 3rd at home, I think that could be discussed with the traveling team and they would adjust accordingly and travel with light jerseys

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
So 50 years ago?

The example I specifically gave you is close to 50 years ago, but this happened much more recent. I already told you it's difficult to find something on google. When it happens it's quite funny but afterwards most people forget and it's barely a footnote.

edit: here's another sample from 15 years ago

Bayern_Leibchen_Koeln_2001.JPG

The team on the left had to throw on some soccer bibs to cover up the red.
It really is not that unusual but it's hard to find anything via google

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->