Ducks and Hurricanes (both teams wore their home jersey's tonight)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Up to 8% of males have red-green colorblindness, that's a pretty significant portion of potential viewers.
That’s true. I remember the complaints following the NYJ and BUF Thursday game when both teams wore white helmets and the jets had green jerseys and pants while buffalo have red jerseys and pants.

Blue against red/orange/yellow is probably the only dark jersey matchups you would want.

Don’t think a flames/oilers works now.

TB vs Edm or Phi works. As well as against Car/Detroit and vs nashville. Not sure about TB va Min. Likely fine against Dallas.

NBA has 4 jerseys per team. But some of the red vs black matchups don’t look very good when I see the hilights on tv.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I love it

Pretty sure the only reason that we have separate home/away jerseys is differentiating teams during the days of black & white TV.

We should have more color matches. There's no reason for Nashville to not wear their yellow jerseys against everyone. Teams wearing red should play teams wearing blue, etc. If Toronto is playing Tampa, then have a second white jersey.

That alone would not only give the game more color, but could give more personality to teams. I could see someone like Detroit for example with a clean and crisp white jersey wearing them at home as their primary uniforms like the Dallas Cowboys - and then their rivals choosing to wear their whites at home against them just to screw with them and make them wear red, etc.

That said, I can't see the league embracing it because the more jerseys they feature means the more they can sell.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I've long been in the camp that if a teams wants to have 2 different colours in their uni set instead of a white, the league should be all over that. Obviously it doesn't work for every team, but imagine a black and a red set for Chicago, and red and a blue set for Washington, a black and an orange for Philly, ect...
They would in theory probably sell alot more jerseys. I see plenty of still buy white jerseys which is fine because some are better than home jerseys. Picture the Kings going back to a Purple and a yellow jersey , both would probaly sell alot.

Reactions: AD Skinner

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
This was the best possible combination IMO:

LOi53H3.jpg

I don't think it should be the norm though, there is white and dark for a reason - plus red (Carolina) and black (Anaheim) are not a great combination.

after awhile, this game got annoying to watch - especially from a distance.

You know why one team usually wears whites: it works!

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
kinda shocked no one posted about this tonight.... this is the first Color vs. Color game since the 2014 Winter Classic and only lile the 4th time done in modern nhl history.

I don't know how that's true. Pittsburgh, Vancouver, and the Kings all wore home yellow.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
No worries, I'm completely with you.

I hate to bring up soccer, but for the most part they have it down to a t, but even then I've seen it several times where in a professional league match the guest team either had to wear training jersey or get this, had to wear the home team's away jersey because the jerseys they brought with them was deemed too hard to differentiate by the referee.

Imagine the Blue Jackets wearing a Rangers away jersey during a regular season game. It would be quite funny to see but screams bush league.

I don't see how this can't be communicated beforehand though. It's not like they don't know each other's colors. This can easily be coordinated and even if there are special nights they can let each other know.

Of course, if a team is on an extended road trip it's just much more practical to carry around their white away jerseys.

Aside from that, not many reasons to not go color against color if the jerseys are easily distinguishable, which is another reason why I hope Seattle will go with a super bright greenish theme.
In what soccer league did you see that?

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017

Bundesliga has had this happen quite a few times actually.

I tried to find videos but it's really hard to know what exactly to look for, I know I've seen it happen about 5 or 6 times in my life time.
The only thing I can find to prove what I'm saying is true is the following picture from the 70s

hsv-werderbremen-trikot-100~_v-gseagaleriexl.jpg

The guys in the white jerseys are Hamburg, the guys in the dark jerseys are Bremen wearing Hamburg's away jersey after the referee deemed Bremen's jersey too close in appearance to Hamburg's jersey.

Hamburg and Bremen are bitter, bitter rivals (Liverpool/Everton, Barcelona/Madrid level rivalry).
As I said, imagine this happening between Philly and Pittsburgh, Montreal/Boston. Unthinkable.

Perhaps some German posters, or those who follow soccer can vouch for what I'm saying has actually occurred over the years in soccer.

edit: Found a video to the picture here, it's in German but brings the point across

Historie - Das Bremer Trikot-Dilemma

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
its all fine and dandy till the Leafs play the bolts. Ummm well Jim someone has scored on someone....ooooohhhhhh and we have another own goal

I would pay to see a pre season game like this lol the scrums would be hilarious

Too many men would be hilarious.

Reactions: JohnnyT91

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Too many men would be hilarious.
Its too bad the NHL is the no fun league at times.
I was thinking of a great prank to play on Nylander next pre season.
1st off you need a team where the coach/GM are tight with ours.
2nd what you do is set it up where everyone in both teams are in on it except Nylander.
Then what happens is all Leaf players except Nylander go to the other teams room and all their players go to our room.
And the joke is Dubas promised he wouldn't trade you so he traded everyone else lool
I hope this is as funny as I think it is, but I have been hitting a few bongs this morn

Darth Bangkok

May 17, 2006
Mogadishu
Prefer whites at home for this reason. When you are going to games, the color of the other team is always changing and its not just one anonymous team in white after another.

Reactions: aufheben

SCBdude

SC Bern 1931
Sep 20, 2012
Eisstadion Allmend
Happened in the Swiss Super League a couple years ago as well.

I've always wondered why there is a team in white in every NHL game. Here in Switzerland teams can choose the color of both jerseys. I think they can even choose which one they want to wear, as long as the ref deems the colors to be different enough. And there are never problems with mixing up the teams. And those jersey even have tons of ads on them.
Bern8.jpg

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Happened in the Swiss Super League a couple years ago as well.

I've always wondered why there is a team in white in every NHL game. Here in Switzerland teams can choose the color of both jerseys. I think they can even choose which one they want to wear, as long as the ref deems the colors to be different enough. And there are never problems with mixing up the teams. And those jersey even have tons of ads on them.
Bern8.jpg
The NHL only has one team that wears yellow primarily.

5 black (incl VGK)
10 blue (incl SJ)
10 red (incl ARI)
3 green (incl SJ)
2 orange teams
1 yellow team

Black/blue = no.
Black/red is already giving people trouble, (which would likely mean the same for blue/red).
Orange/red = no.
Green/blue = no.

Last edited:

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Really wish they'd have solid colors playing against each other. And the pants should match the jersey color too.

Hurricanes/Red Wings/retro Flames
Maple Leafs/Lightning/Canucks/retro Sabres
all-yellow retro Kings
all-green retro Seals/North Stars/Whalers

At least you'd get highest visibility and maximum contrast between the teams and against the ice surface.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
They need to plan uniforms based on a radio announcer?
I got curious and looked on wiki...Red-green color blindness is the most common form, affecting up to 8% of males of Northern European descent; that's a fair number of people being affected

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
They need to plan uniforms based on a radio announcer?

Roughly 8% of men with European ancestry have some form of color-blindness (also ~0.5% of women with European ancestry). I didn't look up incidence for other ethnicities.

But it's not going to be just the radio guy.

EDIT: Sorry - just seeing others already replied. It's surprisingly common (and pretty crazy to consider that a bunch of people don't even realize they have it!).

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
Does anybody know why Carolina didn’t bring their Road Whites?

They wore the Red uniforms against the Sharks last week and the Sharks announcers just said the Sharks were willing to comply with Carolina’s request to wear their White uniforms instead.

Was Anaheim not willing to comply and so wore their Black uniforms and did Carolina just forget their White uniforms?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad